• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

monitor calibration (1 Viewer)

kim

A recent computer friend installed on my computer Gretag Macbeth Eye-One match 3 to calibrate the monitor. Does anyone have experience of this piece of software. It keeps reminding me I should re-calibrate - unfortunately it sems to be a little more trouble than it is worth. Your comments would be appreciated please.

Kim most monitor calibration software has a setting that you set to remind you how often the monitor needs checking, having used the Spyder I found on my old monitor that the calibration didn't change from month to month so after a couple of months set it to remind me every 6.
As far as usefulness goes I found it extremely useful to have my monitor calibrated.

PS worth doing the printer as well to make sure that what you see is what you print.

Kim, I have the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One match 3 and as Steve says, there is a setting which allows you to choose the period to be reminded. I think there is also the option to turn off the reminder altogether. I have just had a quick gander but it looks as if you cannot access these setting until you do a calibration - it is on the last page when the calibration is finished.

Thanks for that - will have a go - it keeps reminding me - but have never done it myself since it was put on!!!

Thanks for that - will have a go - it keeps reminding me - but have never done it myself since it was put on!!!
What you mean you have not calibrated your monitor Kim - well worth the effort especially if you have an LCD.

I have my monitor calibrated as part of a workflow for printing at work but I often wonder about the value of it for web use. Some of the photos in the Gallery appear very dark and some extremely bright on my monitor. I assume most people adjust their images so that they look good on their screen but you cannot guarantee that they will appear right for other people. I often wonder what my images look like on other monitors, especially since I use a Mac with 1.8 gamma.

I notice that some sites, such as dpreview, include grey step wedges in their sample photos section and have a disclaimer saying that their results are based on monitors adjusted to these. I don't know if it would be possible, or even desirable, to include wedges something like this somewhere within the Birdforum Gallery in an attempt to get more uniformity of viewing conditions.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back