• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (1 Viewer)

Hey! that's not fair - posting an answer in response to the original question and purpose of the thread! :-O

I'm still looking forward to how Dennis is possibly, going to uncomfortably worm his way out of the question of the SV being 'Optically' superior to the Habicht (you know - that obscure little bin with about 50 pages of superlatives he gushed out over its optics?!) 3:)

Chosun :gh:

Torview, CJ, the original-post question was fully answered by Holger in the very next post (#2), and, personally, I think the thread could have ended there (if at all maybe two posts later when H. answers D.'s next question). :bounce:

Dennis, keep hitting them out of the park. I'm quite impressed that, in spite of the rude and truly obnoxious garbage heaped upon your every post, you remain cool, calm and collected.

PS
The 8X32 SV is the best birding binocular ever made...at least that's what I hear from my birding partner!

I don't agree with that. An excellent view which the SV provides increases my enjoyment of birding. Knowing I have the best optics available when I go out in the field give me satisfaction. Why screw around with second best if you can afford the best. I would never waste my time with a Zen Ray again. Life is too short to mess around with them as your main birding binocular. They are alright for a car binocular or a knock around pair that you don't care about but that's about it. That is what I use my Bresser's 8x42 ED's for but just the other day I was using them at Barbour's Pond's looking at Egret's and then I got the Swaro's out and I am thinking what the heck am I wasting my time with these when these Swaro's give such a better view of the bird. You waste your time with that cheap stuff. Get the best avoid the rest. If you can afford Swaro's why use anything else?
This may be your best post. I highlighted for emphasis.

PS
Swarovski will like your post!

I don't agree with that. An excellent view which the SV provides increases my enjoyment of birding. Knowing I have the best optics available when I go out in the field give me satisfaction. Why screw around with second best if you can afford the best. I would never waste my time with a Zen Ray again. Life is too short to mess around with them as your main birding binocular. They are alright for a car binocular or a knock around pair that you don't care about but that's about it. That is what I use my Bresser's 8x42 ED's for but just the other day I was using them at Barbour's Pond's looking at Egret's and then I got the Swaro's out and I am thinking what the heck am I wasting my time with these when these Swaro's give such a better view of the bird. You waste your time with that cheap stuff. Get the best avoid the rest. If you can afford Swaro's why use anything else?

Since the above post was in response to a post of mine I thought I'd respond. If you review my original post (#152) you'll note that I said I could go back to using something other than the Swaros. And, yes, I think I could. I did not say, however, that I regularly do that. Indeed, why would I? 8-P

I keep the Zens as loaners, and because the resale value probably isn't worth the effort of selling them. And what the heck, they are pretty darn good.

The FL's live in my desk drawer at the office and get out at lunchtime once in a while. They are, of course, still seriously nice binoculars. I should probably sell them but I'm a lazy sort. I'll get around to it.

Mark

Last edited:
Quote: Originally Posted by [email protected]
"I don't agree with that. An excellent view which the SV provides increases my enjoyment of birding. Knowing I have the best optics available when I go out in the field give me satisfaction. Why screw around with second best if you can afford the best. I would never waste my time with a Zen Ray again. Life is too short to mess around with them as your main birding binocular. They are alright for a car binocular or a knock around pair that you don't care about but that's about it. That is what I use my Bresser's 8x42 ED's for but just the other day I was using them at Barbour's Pond's looking at Egret's and then I got the Swaro's out and I am thinking what the heck am I wasting my time with these when these Swaro's give such a better view of the bird. You waste your time with that cheap stuff. Get the best avoid the rest. If you can afford Swaro's why use anything else?"

This may be your best post. I highlighted for emphasis.

I could agree with this right down to the em-PHASIS on the sy-LLABLES, exceptin' just substitute any nice bin:- Nikon 7x42 EDGII, Zeiss Victory 8x42 HT, Leica Ultravid 10x50 HD, Swarovski 10x56 SLC, or even a porro (we still don't know the answer to that one!) :brains:
...... whatever works for YOU. :loveme: Life's too short for this continual d*** measurin' competition :eek!: :eek!:

Btw, it's all light hearted and good fun! I don't think anyone intends any ill will ......
There's Astigmatism on the forward bow - get them off Jim !! 8-P

Dennis, keep hitting them out of the park. I'm quite impressed that, in spite of the rude and truly obnoxious garbage heaped upon your every post, you remain cool, calm and collected.

PS
The 8X32 SV is the best birding binocular ever made...at least that's what I hear from my birding partner!

Give him time! He will drop this and be on another crusade soon.

Meanwhile maybe you can tell us if he was correct when he said that the 8.5 x 42 Swarovision has a zone of unsharpness situated between the center of the view and the edge of it. That was why he sold it and got the Zeiss 8 x 32 FL.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2246187&postcount=8

Maybe you can compare yours to your wife's 8 x 32 and get back to us on this? We are all wondering if your 8.5x42 and your wife's 8x32 are also afflicted with this flaw in the Swarovison's optical design.

But Beware! "It is kind of strange once you realize it is there."

Bob

'Top Dog' agrees with me that the best bin in the world is the little CL 8x30...
and it's not because I just gave him a biscuit. ;)

Can't we all just get along ? :hi:

Attachments

• PG_Binocular_dog.jpg
    PG_Binocular_dog.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Give him time! He will drop this and be on another crusade soon.

Meanwhile maybe you can tell us if he was correct when he said that the 8.5 x 42 Swarovision has a zone of unsharpness situated between the center of the view and the edge of it. That was why he sold it and got the Zeiss 8 x 32 FL.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2246187&postcount=8

Maybe you can compare yours to your wife's 8 x 32 and get back to us on this? We are all wondering if your 8.5x42 and your wife's 8x32 are also afflicted with this flaw in the Swarovison's optical design.

But Beware! "It is kind of strange once you realize it is there."

Bob
Nope, it's perfect across the entire field of view...a stunning achievement for Swarovski!

Hey! that's not fair - posting an answer in response to the original question and purpose of the thread! :-O

I'm still looking forward to how Dennis is possibly, going to uncomfortably worm his way out of the question of the SV being 'Optically' superior to the Habicht (you know - that obscure little bin with about 50 pages of superlatives he gushed out over its optics?!) 3:)

Chosun

If asked directly which is better optically (8x30 Habicht or 8x32 EL) I'm sure he will declare his current love better optically based upon his "infallible and impartial memory test". Our own stephenb compared/tested his own Habicht and SV EL and if I remember correctly he found them virtually equal in optical performance/quality. I just reread a pm he sent me after he purchased his Habicht and he was particularly impressed with the Habicht's on axis sharpness and light transmission.

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a 8x32 roof for a lightweight travel/birding bino but it won't be easy considering how many great choices are available in the 8x32 configuration. I've had at least a cursory glance through each of the big four contenders (8x32 SV EL, 8x32 EDG, 8x32 FL, and 8x32 Ultravid) and as far as optics none of them had the "wow" factor. The one that stood out as far as ergonomics and for being what I consider the right size in the 8x32 configuration (very small and lightweight) was the Ultravid.

Steve

OMG wait for it: any minute now: incoming from Dennis:

"My dog can smell a DVD case from 5 miles away" 3:)

Lee

Last edited:
Can't we all just get along ? :hi:

Beth

Most posters on BF get along just fine. For example I have had vigorous debates with Kammerdiner and Pileatus on several occasions but they are still among my Bird Forum Buddies.

Just because we disagree about some things doesn't mean don't get along.

Anyway, they have no idea what they are talking about LOL :-O

Lee

Of course a good portion of that "rude and truly obnoxious garbage" heaped upon him is his own words re-quoted from his prior posts. That quandary does make is more difficult to be something other than cool, calm and collected.

Torview .... some more, just for you!

Here is a post from Oct. 2012 in reply to a favorable review of the SV 8X32 and SE:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2560035&postcount=18

If I listened, instead of saving money, I would have spent a fortune on....
- Zeiss 8X32 FL
- Nikon 8X32 EDG-II
- Nikon SE 8X32
- Nikon 8X30 EII
- Swaro Habitcht
- Sworovision 8X32 EL
- a trunk full of one week wonders

(Note: Underlining and bolding added by me.)

You didn't even scratch the surface with that list Bruce. Prior to that it was the Leica 8x32 and 7x42 Trinovids, the Zeiss 10x42 FL, the Swaro 8x32 EL and probably some others that I have forgotten at this point.

I can't fault him as he has good taste in binoculars. The sad part is he could have avoided all this if he would have simply stated that whatever his current choice was at a given point in time was "his favorite" instead of being the best binocular period.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back