• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

panasonic fz200 vs dsrl (1 Viewer)

piero

Hi,
I use to take pictures with a canon 7d and 400mm 5.6 L lens. However, I have problems with my neck and left arm. I am considering of buying a panasonic fz-200 for bird photography. I read somewhere people that didn't like the image quality of the fz200
as compared to entry level dsrl, so I wonder if there is a person on this forum that can show
me 100% crops or providing links to full resolution 3000x4000 pictures of birds
to compare with my old setup.
Thank you very much
Of course any suggestions is welcome!!

Piero

PS: sorry for my English

Hi,

I am sorry to bother you, but I wonder if one of the users of this forum can provide me a 100% crop of some bird faces to get an idea of the fz200 capabilities.

Thanks so much

Piero

I am sorry I cannot help. I am writing to mention that in between both quality and weight vice, you have the pana G series of cameras (2x crop) with the 100-300 mm lens (around 1 kg total weight). If that is interesting to you, I am sure a new thread with an appropriate name can provide some crops from such a combo.

Niels

Hi Niels,

thank you very much for the answer. Actually, I gave not thought about the g series. I looked for fz200 image quality. However, since I do not know anything about micro 4/3 quality I'll be delighted to see some pictures witha 100-300.
Thanks again
Piero

Here are some 100% crops of the out of camera jpgs. I take raw+jpg; the images attached here are therefore the camera defaults.

What have been uploaded to the gallery (linked above) is from the raws where I put in what I can in PP. I do believe I am better at that then the in camera default settings.

The attached images span from iso 200 to iso 3200.

Niels

Attachments

• P1110487.JPG
    P1110487.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 191
  • P1110503.JPG
    P1110503.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 127
  • P1110513.JPG
    P1110513.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 188
  • P1110560.JPG
    P1110560.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 124
  • P1110579.JPG
    P1110579.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 120
and the last one

I should add that the GH2 was the top of the line camera but that it has been surpassed since.

Attachments

• P1110658.JPG
    P1110658.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 135
and the last one

I should add that the GH2 was the top of the line camera but that it has been surpassed since.

Thank you very much indeed. Actually, In the mean time, in order to exploit my lenses, I found a 500d used and with the 55-250mm stm is about 0.8kg, while with the 200L 2.8II + tc is abount 1.2kg.
I think I'll try with this combo+cropping as soon as I can rise the left arm.

Thanks again

Piero

You would have to crop a bit more on those combos because the camera has a lesser crop factor. But still, good for you!

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back