• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Bird IDs, Louisville Kentucky (1 Viewer)

ltshears

I'm back with some new photos i took in my yard..

I would like ID on the 2 small birds and the raptor...

Thanks

Trish

Attachments

• SmallBirdB.jpg
    SmallBirdB.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Raptor1.jpg
    Raptor1.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 150
  • SmallBirdA.jpg
    SmallBirdA.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 143
The two small birds look like female and male, respectively, House Finchs.

The raptor looks like a juvenile Accipiter, but not sure what kind.

BigRedBirder said:
The two small birds look like female and male, respectively, House Finchs.

The raptor looks like a juvenile Accipiter, but not sure what kind.

Accipiter???????? Which one? I went to look it up and there is about 30 different kinds.. lol

Thanks
Trish

Interesting juvenile accipiter!

The head is smallish and rounded, the bill is smallish, the legs are on the thin and small side, and the "expression" is gentle (for an accipiter). All those factors indicate Sharp-shinned Hawk.

However... no supercilium, or maybe just a hint of a tawny one, which are usually Cooper's Hawk characteristics... and while the density and thickness of the upper streaks are good for Sharpie, the flank and belly plumage is essentially unbarred, which is another Cooper's characteristic.

There is an almost complete overlap on plumage with juveniles, and structure trumps plumage, so I will vote for juvenile Accipiter striatus velox (Sharpie). Don't suppose you have any other photos, particularly ones showing the tail?

B Lagopus said:
Interesting juvenile accipiter!

The head is smallish and rounded, the bill is smallish, the legs are on the thin and small side, and the "expression" is gentle (for an accipiter). All those factors indicate Sharp-shinned Hawk.

However... no supercilium, or maybe just a hint of a tawny one, which are usually Cooper's Hawk characteristics... and while the density and thickness of the upper streaks are good for Sharpie, the flank and belly plumage is essentially unbarred, which is another Cooper's characteristic.

There is an almost complete overlap on plumage with juveniles, and structure trumps plumage, so I will vote for juvenile Accipiter striatus velox (Sharpie). Don't suppose you have any other photos, particularly ones showing the tail?

Thank you for your help.. I only have one other photo before it flew away.. I think you can possibly see the underside of the tail but that's it..

I will attach it.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 126
Just for future reassurance, ltshears, you don't have to worry about all Accipiters - there are only 3 species that reside in the US - Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus, your bird), Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii), and Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis). Nice Sharpie shot, by the way!

accipiters

overworkedirish said:
Just for future reassurance, ltshears, you don't have to worry about all Accipiters - there are only 3 species that reside in the US - Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus, your bird), Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii), and Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis). Nice Sharpie shot, by the way!

Thanks , i guess that would help next time.. lol.. As you can tell i don't know alot about identifying birds and am farily new to bird watching...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back