• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabelas Euro HD? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Maybe you folks discussed this previously and I wasn't around. Just noticed that Cabelas came out with a "Euro HD"....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...e=GNU&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104752080;cat104217480

It is currently on backorder but appears to be the same binocular as the original Euro but with "Fluorite" objectives. I know many folks were waiting for Meopta to introduce ED glass in their design and it looks like they may finally have. I checked the Meopta website but see nothing that states they are going to be doing this with their line of binoculars.

Thoughts?

Maybe you folks discussed this previously and I wasn't around. Just noticed that Cabelas came out with a "Euro HD"....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...e=GNU&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104752080;cat104217480

It is currently on backorder but appears to be the same binocular as the original Euro but with "Fluorite" objectives. I know many folks were waiting for Meopta to introduce ED glass in their design and it looks like they may finally have. I checked the Meopta website but see nothing that states they are going to be doing this with their line of binoculars.

Thoughts?

Good thoughts, Frank, only good thoughts. :)

There was a time not long ago when Miss Lulubelle was contemplating buying a 10x42 Euro that the "Euro" piqued my interest. I'm not a big fan of closed bridged roofs, but the Meopta body seems "fat" enough and has the thumb indents so it might work for my big hands.

However, after reading some reviews that reported "higher than average" CA in the 10x42 Euro/Meopta, I used all those quarters from my pig's feet jars to purchase the 10x EII and 10X SE. I haven't received the 10x SE yet, so it remains to be seen if I'll keep both or have to make up my mind and "chose one and leave the other behind".

Now that the EURO EDs have quelled my main concern, they have piqued my interest again, though I'd have to sell both Nikons to buy a pair, and I don't think I want to do that.

I look forward to your review of the 10x42 EURO ED once your Cabelas gets them in.

Despite the lack of fanfare, an entire line of Meopta EDs will probably follow.

Brock

Last edited:
Frank I don't remember anything about this on here. I just noticed in my new 50 Anniversary Cabela's catalog they list this binocular.

Brock,

Ha..ha. I didn't say I was going to go pick one up though I might go check it out. You know the 10x format isn't necessarily my cup of tea unless it is a 10x50. ;) If/when Meopta debuts the 8x42 HD or 8x32 HD then I will certainly be one of the first in line to sample it.

Steve,

I was hoping you would chime in because I remember your mentioning that catalog. I did not receive mine at this point so I only have the website for info. Should definitely prove interesting.

Frank, The catalog doesn't say much more than what is online. I see you can test it for 60 days and if you do not like it send it back.

Last edited:
Have been waiting for something new from Meopta - called & tried to speak with Richard again, left him a voicemail. Not returned....... I check their website frequently, hoping.....

Surprised that they brought out the Euro HD's first. Not that I have a big issue with CA, but for close to $1000, I prefer not to have any (would prefer not to have any at any price point!!!). So Frank, could you make arrangements to check them out for us?!!!!

Just looked at the price - it did go up. So the Meostars should definitely be in the $1000 + range, asssuming that they come out with a Meostar HD.

Interesting to read the description - sounds exactly the same except the addtion of HD glass and they still don't specify dielectric coating vs. silver.

Last edited:
Have been waiting for something new from Meopta - called & tried to speak with Richard again, left him a voicemail. Not returned....... I check their website frequently, hoping.....

Surprised that they brought out the Euro HD's first. Not that I have a big issue with CA, but for close to $1000, I prefer not to have any (would prefer not to have any at any price point!!!). So Frank, could you make arrangements to check them out for us?!!!!

Just looked at the price - it did go up. So the Meostars should definitely be in the $1000 + range, asssuming that they come out with a Meostar HD.

Interesting to read the description - sounds exactly the same except the addtion of HD glass and they still don't specify dielectric coating vs. silver.

Lulubelle,

Well, the communications breakdown might have turned out for the best since you now have a "new and improved" Euro.

I thought you had already bit the bullet and bought the old Euros. Of course, if you are not bothered by CA, they might be discounting the old Euros once the HDs are in stock.

I too am surprised that they didn't drop the "D" word (dielectric) in any of their copy (four links of additional info to the right of the Cabela's ad). What they say is: "MeoBrite 550 fully multicoated optical system and phase-corrected prisms to deliver amazing 99.9% light transmission."

Well tie my bootstraps together if I'm wrong about this but p-coatings alone don't deliver an "amazing 99% light transmission". They would also need to have dielectric coatings.

If Richard told you the Old Euros already had dielectric coatings on the last batch, then for sure, the HD's have them, but I'm still curious yellow why they didn't flaunt that fact yet did bother to drop NASA's name, hinting at some cosmic connection.

The Meopta HDs will probably be priced at least $100-$200 over the Euros if the previous price pattern holds. Expect the Meoptas in the $1,100 to $1,200 range. Maybe $1,300 for the 50s.

So are you going to finally replace those old Pentax 10x50s SPs?

Brock

Brock, The Cabela's Euro HD is $999.99 with free shipping and 60 day return no questions asked. The old Euro 10x42 is $799.99 and the 12x50 is $899.99

Laura you have 60 days to try the Cabela's Euro HD 10x42 no questions asked. Of course they have to get these in first.

Last edited:
I will stop by the local Cabelas some time in the next week or two. I have to head out that way anyway. I will see if they have them in stock. If they don't I will see if I can find out an expected availability date.

Anyone want me to check out what is in the bargain cave while I am there?

;-)

I will stop by the local Cabelas some time in the next week or two. I have to head out that way anyway. I will see if they have them in stock. If they don't I will see if I can find out an expected availability date.

Anyone want me to check out what is in the bargain cave while I am there?

;-)

Yeah, while you're in the "cave" look for EO's missing Zeiss FL boxes. :)

Brock

However, after reading some reviews that reported "higher than average" CA in the 10x42 Euro/Meopta

It is hard to believe that Meopta would have introduced a significant improvement like ED glass in the objectives without advertising the fact, but in the "Vögel" test of 10x42s the B1 was commended for its suppression of colour fringing and the reviewer speculated on the use of ED glass! In what is inevitably a subjective assessment, it bettered the Ultravid HD, Leupold GR HD, Nikon HG L (the worst) and Swaro EL (old model). The Kowa XD44 Prominar stood out as best in this respect.

This same B1, however, had a yellowish tint and the transmission curve exhibited the gentle decline into the red, which is typical of silver prism coatings, as opposed to the rapid cut-off of dielectric coatings.

If there have indeed been upgrades in the past five years, I would have expected dielectric coatings to precede an objective redesign. All rather puzzling!

John

The 2010 Ginkel Europa 42mm Binocular tests, show that the Meopta Meostar binoculars
have di-electric coated prisms.

Try a google search to - Europa.com/ telescopes.

Last edited:
It is hard to believe that Meopta would have introduced a significant improvement like ED glass in the objectives without advertising the fact, but in the "Vögel" test of 10x42s the B1 was commended for its suppression of colour fringing and the reviewer speculated on the use of ED glass! In what is inevitably a subjective assessment, it bettered the Ultravid HD, Leupold GR HD, Nikon HG L (the worst) and Swaro EL (old model). The Kowa XD44 Prominar stood out as best in this respect.

This same B1, however, had a yellowish tint and the transmission curve exhibited the gentle decline into the red, which is typical of silver prism coatings, as opposed to the rapid cut-off of dielectric coatings.

If there have indeed been upgrades in the past five years, I would have expected dielectric coatings to precede an objective redesign. All rather puzzling!

John

I agree, it is puzzling, particularly that Cabela's never states explicitly that the new HD model has dielectric coatings, but with the prism reflectivity of 99%, it couldn't be anything else.

Well, Cabela's is probably using just what information Meopta sent them, they don't make the binoculars. However, if I were the guy writing the promotional copy for Cabela's, I would have asked Meopta about the dielectric coatings.

Allbinos rated the 10x42 Meopta B1's CA as "slight". However, they rated the 10x42 HGL's CA as "Low in the centre, medium at the edge." If the HGLs were rated the worst by Vögel, I doubt if Vögel's reviewers would have written "low in centre, medium at the edge".

Here's what Frank D. had to say when asked how the 10x Meoptas compared to the 10x42 HGL in regard to CA:

"After having owned/tried both I would say they are pretty much equal in this area....that is assuming we are talking about the newer 42 mm LXLs and not the original LX/Venturer. The original Venturer/LX/HG displayed less CA when compared to the newer version...at least in my opinion."

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=200848

I'm beginning to question the objectivity of allbino's CA tests, not just because I think the HGL has more than average CA, but because other users have said the same thing. Ditto for the 10x42 B1.

The problem is I don't think there is any standardization in measuring CA even if someone bench tests a bin for CA. You can compare one bin to another and tell which is better, but it's not like there's a measuring stick like there is for resolution such as arc seconds. If there is, Henry please chime in here and enlighten us.

I'm not sure if objective tests would necessarily be helpful, because when you're just eyeballing with the bin yourself, CA levels will vary from person to person, depending on the user's sensitivity to it.

Brock

Brock,

I think I posted something about my trip to Cabelas in either the binocular bargains thread or the Dakota Elite thread. I did go to the local retail outlet a couple of weeks ago. They did not have the Euro HDs in stock yet and they weren't sure when they would be in. They did have several 8x42 (non-HD) units in the bargain cave for the price of $700. I was tempted, admittedly, but fought the urge with a reality check on how much the storm water management system is going to cost me on the new house. ;)

I did, on the other hand, get to check out both the Swarovision 8.5x42 and the SLC HD 8x42. I posted comments about both in the Swarovision thread in the Shharrrvarrski forum.

I will probably be headed back down that way soon so I will give it another go to see if they arrrived yet.

It is listed in Cabela's Optics 2011 catalog which I got about a week ago. Doesn't say they are back ordered. ER is stated as 15mm. It has a 2 page spread at pp36 and 37.

The MeoStar 8 x 42 and 10 x 42 are listed as are the new MeoPro 8 x 42 and 10 x 42.

Other new ones listed are Vortex's new HD Vipers. 8 x 42 and 10 x 42. FOV's 347' and 319.' Prices's 589.99 and 599.99.

I also note that Nikon's "new" Premiers have higher prices than their old LX L's did. $1299.99 for the 8 x 32 and 1499.99 for the 8 x 42 and 1699.99 for the 10 x 42. They won't sell at these prices.

Bob

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the SLC HD, but couldn't find it. Got a link? I really, really like mine in 10x42.

Here is a copy/paste of what I posted in the Swarovision thread. It isn't very detailed for the reasons I specified in the thread. I plan on going back down with the ED3s to make a comparison of the three models. Possibly this weekend.

Further, with regard to the comparison between the SLC HD and the SV, I could see practically no difference in the centerfield performance of the two binoculars (yes, the 8.5x vs 8x probably provides slightly better detail though the 8x should, theoretically be a hair brighter) but, for all practical purposes, the two images looked identical in the centerfield. In this case I am referring to apparent sharpness, apparent brightness, contrast, color fringing control and color representation. Speaking of the latter, I did note that the image seemed to have the blue-green color representation that I so fondly remember of the Zeiss FLs that I owned. Definitely pleasing to my eyes.

It is listed in Cabela's Optics 2011 catalog which I got about a week ago. Doesn't say they are back ordered. ER is stated as 15mm. It has a 2 page spread at pp36 and 37.

The MeoStar 8 x 42 and 10 x 42 are listed as are the new MeoPro 8 x 42 and 10 x 42.

Other new ones listed are Vortex's new HD Vipers. 8 x 42 and 10 x 42. FOV's 347' and 319.' Prices's 589.99 and 599.99.

I also note that Nikon's "new" Premiers have higher prices than their old LX L's did. $1299.99 for the 8 x 32 and 1499.99 for the 8 x 42 and 1699.99 for the 10 x 42. They won't sell at these prices.

Bob

They won't sell many EDG binos at those prices either. Never have.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back