• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks James. I have been involved with the RSPB members group, but I would really like to meet more nature enthusiasts who are around my sort of age, (30 something's) for more of the social aspect of wildlife watching & conservation, and to broaden my friendships in the local area. Most of my friends locally are not mad keen on wildlife and neither are my work colleagues. I have a couple of friends who share my passion, but would really like to meet more!

Drake Goosander flew over UEA Broad this morning. Appeared to carry on towards Colney, maybe ditched down on the pits there?

I have started getting together sightings for this years Whitlingham Bird Report, so if anyone has any records they'd like to share then I'd be grateful to receive them. The report covers the whole of Whitlingham Lane from Trowse to the sewage works, plus Thorpe Marsh. I'll have made a note of sightings posted on this thread, but if you post under a pseudonym and would like your name in the acknowledgements then let me know.

I'm happy to receive records via BirdForum, email (whitlinghambirds 'at' yahoo.co.uk), through my blog or Twitter (@Norwichbirder).

Unless there is a deluge of sightings the finished report should be available to download in the first week of January.

Thanks,
James

Not sure this really counts as Norwich but it may well be of interest anyway.

Whilst out running along Marriotts Way as I was approaching the bridge over River Tud at Costessey I saw what I at first assumed was a swan in the river, unusual I thought for that shallow bit. However as I got closer I realised it was actually a Little Egret. Certainly the nearest I've seen this species to home.

Whitlingham Lane Country Park

31st December 2014

Norwich Whitlingham Lane Country Park

Black-headed Gull in almost complete summer plumage!
Chiffchaff

Attachments

• 174 Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus) Norfolk England GB UK December 2014 cp2 crs 130dpi.jpg
    174 Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus) Norfolk England GB UK December 2014 cp2 crs 130dpi.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 85
Hi Robin.

There seems to be a couple of Chiffchaffs still in the area, although I haven't seen one yet this winter. I did notice that gull yesterday whilst looking for ringed ones. Justin found this presumed Eurasian Wigeon x American Wigeon on the Great Broad too.

31st December 2014

Norwich Whitlingham Lane Country Park

Black-headed Gull in almost complete summer plumage!
Chiffchaff

Attachments

• P1020828 (800x601).jpg
    P1020828 (800x601).jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 118
Happy New Year - A Woodcock flew over the outer ring road at dusk on the 31st as I was pulling into the garage near to the old 'bottoms up' roundabout.. North side of city. First one I have seen in the city. It was heading South.

Woodcock

Happy New Year - A Woodcock flew over the outer ring road at dusk on the 31st as I was pulling into the garage near to the old 'bottoms up' roundabout.. North side of city. First one I have seen in the city. It was heading South.

Great bird mate- had one fly up my road in Norwich , right over my head on 31st January 2012, my one & only city sighting. One to remember !
Happy new year to all, and happy birding!

I have attached my Whitlingham Bird Report for 2014. Thanks to all who posted Whitlingham sightings here or elsewhere on the internet, I hope you find the report interesting.

Best wishes for 2015.

Attachments

• Whitlingham BR 2014.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 449
I have attached my Whitlingham Bird Report for 2014. Thanks to all who posted Whitlingham sightings here or elsewhere on the internet, I hope you find the report interesting.

Best wishes for 2015.

Great report, James. A lot of work, and much appreciated. Thank you. Those Booted Eagle details are fascinating!

James

Pleasant stroll around Whitlingham with half the population of Norwich today. 7 Shoveler and a brief Kingfisher on the Little Broad were the highlights.

Strolling back into town another Kingfisher was by riverside (in the buddleia that overhang the bank opposite Chiquitos).

Will

There is a 1st-winter Med Gull at Thorpe St Andrew currently, the first one I've seen around Norwich. It was seen yesterday at the riverside green by Justin Lansdell, and returned there this morning with a large flock of Black-headed Gulls (2 ringed ones). At around 9.30 it flew across towards Whitlingham, but it is presumably commuting between the two places. Also a Little Grebe on the river opposite the Rushcutters.

Attachments

• P1020882 (1024x768).jpg
    P1020882 (1024x768).jpg
    420 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
per Birdguides the Rockland Broad Great Northern Diver flew off towards Norwich at 11h15 this morning. Worth checking Whitlingham?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back