• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (32 Viewers)

A gentle walk down the track at Warham Greens this afternoon enabled the shot below.

Almost certainly 2 (female type) Pied Flycatchers were elusive. I was told a male appeared later.

Attachments

• 037pse.jpg
    037pse.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 201
Patch news:
It was lovely to find 3 fledgling Little Ringed Plover today (not unsurprisingly rather difficult to see!) There are up to 4 more pairs in the area, so hopefully there will be many more! They seem to have been joined by a pair of Avocet. Two were first seen on 8th May, but with no further sighting until 16th, I thought they had just passed through. There was no further sign again, until 26th, but have now been present daily since and being very territorial and affectionate (but not yet noted to be intimate!) Where they have been in between time (assuming they are the same birds) is anyone's guess! One or more Tundra(?) - based on sixe, shape and colouration - have been passing through at a couple of sites, which has added to the interest!

Cley

A good find for a birder this morning gave me this record shot- and not even halfway along the East Bank at Cley.

I had a pleasant evening in the sunshine at Cley and managed to catch up with the Bluethroat as well. There was a supporting cast of Bearded Tits, Marsh Harriers, 2 flyover Mediterranean Gulls and a "late" female Merganser on Arnolds Marsh. However, the stars of the show were the numerous Swifts and Martins which were zipping past almost within touching distance. Didn't notice many Swallows.

Talking of Little Ringed Plovers David, there was a pair with 2 chicks at Cley. It was also nice to see plenty of Avocet chicks as well. Good luck with the pair on your patch.

Other broods included Ringed Plover and Shelduck. A Hobby harassed the Swifts at Pats Pool briefly and a Hare grazed in front of Daukes Hide.

Cheers

Steve

16 Hours Birding

Eagle Owl still King's Lynn preening at 5.30am.

At Lakenheath Fen RSPB I saw the Savi's Warbler distantly, also 2 Grasshopper Warblers etc.

Saw White-spotted Bluethroat briefly and distantly at 10.15am.

EAST HILLS – one hedge sparrow:-O, very sad:-C. Few curlew flying over. But things improved and had 90 Ringed plovers on the beach east of East Hills as I left!!! Spoonbill east at 7.40pm whilst walking back. Pied Flycatcher (fem) at 8pm along West Track.

White-spotted Bluethroat again west of East Bank at 9pm!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

It can be no coincidence that yesterday Martin Cade had over 1,000 spot flys at Portland Bill - incredible numbers that gives us some hope for this declining species. Clearly something has triggered a mass arrival! Some details at https://twitter.com/PortlandBirdObs

James

It is years since I last had 5 Spotted Flycatchers in one day in County. The more so, as they were in four different places and either a short walk from the car or, at Cley, from the car itself.

Late morning, one filled the gap that had been waiting to welcome it at Gramboro’. (LH shot.) A singing Chiffchaff and an elusive, greyish warbler were also there.

A short trudge along the shingle and a Short Lark gave short views. (Congrats on the find, Marcus.) We kept at a respectful distance, not to spoil it for others.

The cattle pens along the Beach Road at Cley gave the second Spotted, followed by at least two at Warham Greens. Walsey Hills provided the final one, this evening. (RH shot.)

Strumpshaw Fen had some good birds this morning: Black Kite, Osprey and Night Heron all reported. I had an hour at Rockland this afternoon and enjoyed Hobby, Buzzard, Common Tern and Little Egret. No sign of the big 3 though. Surlingham this evening so maybe some joy there.
Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell June 2nd

Today’s highlights

Temminck’s stint – 1 on fresh marsh late afternoon
Spoonbill – 3 west onto Thornham saltmarsh @ 16:20
Garganey – pair on Patsy’s reedbed all day
Little gull – 5 1st summer on fresh marsh
Med gull – 2 adults
Osprey – 2 west, 1 @11:15, 1@16:20
Bittern - confirmed feeding flights over reedbed

Paul

The Black Kite was Red unfortunately Jim, I did ring RBA to let them know that I had seen photos of the kite and it was clearly Red- Thanks fast Ricky!

The night heron was also only a possible seen flying down river at 11.30 from behind only as far as I could tell. Do night herons fly around in broad daylight though?

Hi All,

New to this forum but just thought i upload a couple of "record shots" of the Bluethroat at Cley from yesterday.A fitting finale to a week`s birding in Norfolk.:t:
It was then back to The George for breakfast then home:-C

Chris

Attachments

• bluethroat 1_filtered.jpg
    bluethroat 1_filtered.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 440
  • bluethroat 2_filtered.jpg
    bluethroat 2_filtered.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 193
  • bluethroat 6_filtered.jpg
    bluethroat 6_filtered.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 260
Strumpshaw Fen had some good birds this morning: Black Kite, Osprey and Night Heron all reported. I had an hour at Rockland this afternoon and enjoyed Hobby, Buzzard, Common Tern and Little Egret. No sign of the big 3 though. Surlingham this evening so maybe some joy there.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hello Jim.

I'm pleased to say it was me who had the Osprey today over Strumpshaw although I actually observed it from the Wheatfen side of the Yare. It was fairly low down and carrying a sizeable fish which may well have been caught from Rockland as it flew in from that direction. Two Black-headed Gulls began harassing it and it circled up high before drifting off towards Buckenham. I had already completed one loop around Wheatfen but the news of the possible Night Heron lured me back to the river just on the off-chance. No joy there I'm afraid but the Osprey was a great bonus bird.
Also around Wheatfen today was Common Buzzard, four Marsh Harriers Hobby, a pair of Cuckoo's, drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker and Kingfisher.

Steve.

Yes they do, frequently on the Continent and I have seen them in flight in this country as well.

John

The Black Kite was Red unfortunately Jim, I did ring RBA to let them know that I had seen photos of the kite and it was clearly Red- Thanks fast Ricky!

The night heron was also only a possible seen flying down river at 11.30 from behind only as far as I could tell. Do night herons fly around in broad daylight though?

Thanks John, I must admit I don't have a lot of experience with them, apart from seeing them roosting during the day and flying out at dusk.

Thanks Steve and Ben. No sign of any Kites whatsoever at Surlingham yesterday evening. However, great views of a Cuckoo out the front of the hide. Many Warblers in song, seemingly encouraged by the warmer weather. 3 Great-spotted Woodpecker and a Common Buzzard the other highlights from a lovely evening walk.

Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell June 3rd

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – pair on grazing meadow pool, female with 6 young in reedbed
Med gull – 2 adults on fresh marsh
Bar tailed godwit – 160 roosting on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 6 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Medium sized raptors and white herons are likely to cause more id problems than singing unstreaked loco's. Good to see some things remain unchanged!

Last edited:
Hi All,

New to this forum but just thought i upload a couple of "record shots" of the Bluethroat at Cley from yesterday.A fitting finale to a week`s birding in Norfolk.:t:
It was then back to The George for breakfast then home:-C

Chris
Wow, fabulous shots - tons better than my record shots.:t: May I suggest you add these to Rare Bird Alert aswell? Glad you enjoyed your holiday! Very difficult to photograph that bird, way out in the reed bed with any lens never mind my 300mm lens and converter. The very best shots of this bird will be digiscoped probably.

Eddie Myers has just taken a lovely video of this bird this evening – see HERE

Last edited:
Wow, fabulous shots - tons better than my record shots.:t: May I suggest you add these to Rare Bird Alert aswell? Glad you enjoyed your holiday! Very difficult to photograph that bird, way out in the reed bed with any lens never mind my 300mm lens and converter. The very best shots of this bird will be digiscoped probably.

Thanks for that Penny.Yes the distance is more suited to digiscoping and there are some masters at it out there.:t:
I used a 500F4 and 2 off 1.4 extenders to obtain these record shots.:eek!:

Chris

I took several shots of this little bird soaking up the sunshine at Strumpshaw yesterday evening but, rather embarrassingly, I am not sure what it is. Despite watching it for about ten minutes it didn't turn round to face me. I am going for juvenile Marsh Tit but can anyone identify it for me positively?

Ron

Attachments

• Juvenile-Marsh-Tit-small.jpg
    Juvenile-Marsh-Tit-small.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back