• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

after the excitement of a 30 mile cycle and cracking good bird yesterday, had an equally if not more enjoyable day knocking round the patch.

Went to a village near where i live and after a quite a while searching got onto a Firecrest singing its cotton socks off, from this point onwards the village was teeming with birds, bramblings, siskins, a lesser redpoll on a bird feeder, gs wood, singing goldcrest + lots of common finches and tits, couple of Buzzards displaying over Kelling Triangle then on to Kelling Heath where Chiffchaffs seem to be properly in with at least 5 in various areas round the Heath.

GG Shrike was an absolute delight yet again, i watched it for a long time at one point caught a very large lizard and impaled it for later, also regurgitated a pellet, which i searched for and couldn't find, every time it swooped down for prey it would fly back up to its perch and wipe the side of its face with a small twig on the tree. The Chaffinches and Great Tit seemed bothered by its presence but would never go too close however when it left its perch one time a whole group of Chaffinches, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, and |Great Tit would surround the area it had been in. Can never get over how smart Shrikes are!

On way back along the ridge saw a Barn Owl flying towards me along the hedgerow, i kept very still and it continued on it way, was so close could see its head moving from side to side in search of prey, it didn't see me at all until the last moment when it clocked me and was completely spooked careering away from me in surprise.

obviously alot beginning to happen, from pager grebes and scoters displaced and more southerlies + rain on the way,

Glad you said that. Todays wind was bloody freezing! Gets right up my nose...

Found a Nordic Jackdaw this afternoon at Salthouse, 100yds west of the duck pond, just by the road. Fits in nicely with these northernely winds we've had I suppose, although I dont know how common/uncommon they are in the UK. You had one recently in Sheringham, didn't you Pom?

Also had a monster of a fem. Peregrine blast past Little Eye a little while later, and a dead Porpoise on the beach, amongst 1000s of starfish.

1 Barn Owl, c57 Fieldfares, 20+ Redwings, several Bullfinches and a Little Egret at my 'owl' site. LEO's appear to have departed.

Jason
Still 2 Nordic Jackdaws on Beeston Regis if anyones interested, think i found your LEO site by accident the other day Jason, great secluded site, also managed Willow Tit at Sculthorpe within 5 minutes, obviously one of those birds you can be looking for for ever, or luck out on straight away.

What's the best time to get there for the SEO's, as I am thinking of coming over tomorrow,

I may stop at the area around Weeting Heath on the way to see if any Stone Curlews have arrived yet (I have had them as early as March 23rd before now). Has anyone heard if they are back yet.

I will then keep my eyes peeled on the pager for the Bluethroat and I want to catch up on the three Shorelarks at Cley.

John

The SEO's are fairly reliable from about 15:00, I was on the site from 14:00 till gone 18:00 and the Owls had pretty much gone down by 17:30..

All three SEO's, Dark Breasted Barn Owl and a male Alba Barn Owl were present this afternoon, also three Stonechats were noted in the rough scrub along the southern edge of the common by the footpath.

Some shots from tonight..

Matt

Attachments

• owls 008 (Custom).jpg
    owls 008 (Custom).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 83
  • owls 023 (Custom).jpg
    owls 023 (Custom).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 76
  • owls 034 (Custom).jpg
    owls 034 (Custom).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 57
  • owls 037 (Custom).jpg
    owls 037 (Custom).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Stone-curlews

I may stop at the area around Weeting Heath on the way to see if any Stone Curlews have arrived yet (I have had them as early as March 23rd before now). Has anyone heard if they are back yet.

John

Hi John

Stoneys are back on at least three sites in the Brecks already. Not heard anything specific about Weeting but it seems likely that there would be birds there. Might be worth checking with the Norfolk Wildlife Trust as to whether the reserve is open though?

Cheers

Andy Musgrove
www.bubo.org/listing

Surfbirds

Great photo of the Bluethroat now on surfbirds by Robert Wilson.
Also Connor good to see your photo on the Birdguides weekly review.
As always enjoyed your trip account from yesterday Penny. The detail of the day makes it all the more interesting. I hope your head is much better now?
Best wishes
Richard

Last edited:
Another good day's birding!

After a few hours sleep got up at some bizzare time and arrived Holme at 6.55am

Dull and rainy - started off at the horse paddock half way down Beach Road and had 8 redwings - then parked at toilet block by main beach. I wasn't going to stop here, but when I realised that because of the rain I had beaten all the dog walkers, I thought it was definately worth a quick walk round the block! I walked straight out to the sea, scanning the golf course on left, not alot here, few bits on the beach including what looked like a great crested grebe distantly. Walked back and followed path east through suada bushes and had 4 linnets sitting on bushes and 8 very pretty reed buntings, both male and female and also a very exciting dodgy one!!! All I can tell you is that it had a massive splodge of very dark brown, almost black all around the eye and almost down the neck side! very weird, had white outer tail feathers as a reed bunting has....... Anyway continued back round through public carpark hearing a green woodpecker on route and then drove half way down Firs road and parked by 5-bar gate. 4 stonechats in the forestry area, couple of redshanks and 2 little egrets in pool near Gore Point. Brents on the tideline along with black headed gulls, oystercatchers etc. Also 1 great crested grebe swimming by water's edge and in front of this 2 ringed plovers ran along the sand. Big movement of starlings this morning, I had batches of 50 and counted about 250+ in the end. Scanned over Holme marsh and saw a male marsh harrier and 6 carrion crows and THEN a Great White Egret (8.05am) suddenly came into view and landed with a flop near 2 little egrets!!!! What's funny is, this did not excite me in the slightest, might have had something to do with yesterday;)!!! It went into a ditch and I saw the neck and head for a while then it disappeared from view. I sent a text message to Birdline but I don't think it went on - probably because nobody probably believes anyone any more! But there is definately one out there as it dwarfed the 'little's'! Walked up to observatory and Jed, Sophie and I watched a massive passage of thousands of starlings going east over Holme church! I then joined Sophie for a seawatch with 'The Thursday Gang' as they call themselves. Being as I had no scope I didn't see everything but did see 2 red breasted mergansers, 2 golden eyes, a nice drake Eider, several cormorants, at least 5 great crested grebes, 5 common scooter AND 20 Long Tailed Duck! 27 brent geese flew west, and 2 fulmar also west. A great northern diver was seen distantly and also a med gull, but I didn't see either of these. The med gull was distantly on the beach and got flushed by guess what, yes dogs, so I decided to walk over to Thornham channel to see if I could find it. Sun was out now and for the rest of the day, it was like summer time!;) Could not find the med gull, but there were tons of gulls, brents etc etc over the other side of the channel - needed a scope for all these really to ID correctly. Saw 2 more ringed plover here and also lots of shelduck. Walked right round to the furthest point you can walk and then made my way back through the gorse and suada bushes - there were 4 stunning stonechats here perched on the bushes, also a female reed bunting and 2 snipe flew across the marsh, seveal meadow pipits and a wren. Walked back along Thornham bank and it really was a stunning, sunny afternoon - several tufted duck and shovelars on the broad water and 6 reed buntings flew across the marsh.

As I was walking along top path with the broad water on your left I could hear dreadful noises of dogs yelping, it was really scary, then I had what sounded like someone running, I could see a lady ahead, so I started to run as it sounded like someone was being attacked by a dog. The scene before me was horrific - to my right at the end of the path at the bottom of the steps was what only can be described as a ball of dogs entwined, I couldn't work out what was going on! Then a man appeared with bins from the obs path and he walked towards them. Another lady passerby asked if they were his and he said yes. He then hit the collie dog to disperse the fight to reveal 3 dogs on leads all tied to the post!! The collie headed directly for me, which scared the sh*t of me!, then veered off left. Cutting a very long story short he made out the collie was his as well. But my guess is the collie was a beach run away from an irrisponsible owner and had come up to his 3 dogs and they basically were ripping into him. He inspected the collie who had blood streaming down his neck, but seemed to be ok, although a little shaken! Now I am not a dog lover, I admit, but I felt really sorry for that collie dog, for the crap owners who had not been keeping an eye on it and also this man should have never left his dogs tied to a post on a coast footpath while 'he went to see what was about'!!!!!! I told him that they should never have been left and he looked sheepish and did not reply. The amount of young children that run along there - it could have been so much worse! Anyway back to birding!

At the observatory it was now 12.30pm and a barn owl hunted over the marsh, as it did for the rest of the afternoon. A brambling was on the top of the scycamore tree, couple of robins, blue tits and great tits were flitting about in the buddleia and 2 goldcrests in the pines. It was almost boiling hot outside the obs. and I was here on my own now and decided to have a snooze on the bench, bliss!!!;) Dragged myself up and went and sat in the hide by the bank and heard a Tawny owl calling in the pines! (1.30pm). Walked up to NOA carpark and went round the NWT Wader Pools. Not too much there apart from lots of noisy black headed gulls, 20 curlew, teal, wigeon, brents on the marsh etc, 2 more stonechats on approach path.

Walked back through Forestry - on route I had 6 more stonchats all in one bush! just left of the path that runs opposite NOA carpark. Few meadow pipits in the forestry, chaffinches and blackbirds, 4 long tailed tits and a sparrowhawk went over the marsh. Also flushed a barn owl in the buckthorn! Quick cup of tea back at car and then went and had a look at Redwell marsh - 2 mute swans and a mallard in the river and from the hide, a little egret, coots, moorhens, teal, mallard, rooks, shovelar. In the horse paddock at end of road there was a redwing.

Holme Marsh Reserve - 4.10pm - Walked down public footpath and followed the ditch to 5-bar gate in hope of a bluethroat:-O, saw a goldcrest, 1 grey heron, 3 blackbirds, 1 kestrel in tall trees, 2 egyptian geese and canada geese and wigeon on marsh. Walked back round and onto reserve. 2 barn owls hunting across the marsh, tufted duck on pool, along with teal, mallard, coots and moorhens, 2 long tailed tits, linnets, chaffinches and a water rail squealed! Walked back to car and a big flock of finches flew over the silouhetted bushes in the sunset near Holme church;)

Phew!

Connor, could you did the bit I didn't do - The golf course up to chalets and beach huts where there maybe a black redstart or something better???!!!!!;);) and then text me asap as I am going elsewhere tomorrow - have a good day at Holme!!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Connor, could you did the bit I didn't do - The golf course up to chalets and beach huts where there maybe a black redstart or something better???!!!!!;);) and then text me asap as I am going elsewhere tomorrow - have a good day at Holme!!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Of course will do, am gonna look for the GWE first though, would be a nice patch bird! Well done on another good day!

Cheers,

Connor

D-b Barn Owl and SEOs

Some photos from Wacton Common last night
SEOs seen well between 4-5pm
D-b Barn Owl showing well around 5pm
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• Dark-breasted Barn Owl_Wacton_2008_03_27.jpg
    Dark-breasted Barn Owl_Wacton_2008_03_27.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Dark-breasted Barn Owl_Wacton_2008_03_27_a.jpg
    Dark-breasted Barn Owl_Wacton_2008_03_27_a.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Dark-breasted Barn Owl_Wacton_2008_03_27_b.jpg
    Dark-breasted Barn Owl_Wacton_2008_03_27_b.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Short-eared Owl_Wacton Common_2008-03-27_b.jpg
    Short-eared Owl_Wacton Common_2008-03-27_b.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Short-eared Owl_Wacton Common_2008-03-27.jpg
    Short-eared Owl_Wacton Common_2008-03-27.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 102
Hi Andy

As you can see I haven't gone over today but I definitely will tomorrow. The weather forecast looks better on Saturday so I have spent the morning in the greenhouse today.

Weeting Heath usually opens up on the first Saturday in April I think but I know other sites where I can go anyway. Thanks for confirmation that they are back. Hopefully I will get to watch some tomorrow morning.

John

Hi John

Stoneys are back on at least three sites in the Brecks already. Not heard anything specific about Weeting but it seems likely that there would be birds there. Might be worth checking with the Norfolk Wildlife Trust as to whether the reserve is open though?

Cheers

Andy Musgrove
www.bubo.org/listing

Thanks matt

I decided against going today but I am going on Saturday. I will aim to get there about 15:00.

John

The SEO's are fairly reliable from about 15:00, I was on the site from 14:00 till gone 18:00 and the Owls had pretty much gone down by 17:30..

All three SEO's, Dark Breasted Barn Owl and a male Alba Barn Owl were present this afternoon, also three Stonechats were noted in the rough scrub along the southern edge of the common by the footpath.

Some shots from tonight..

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back