• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

Titchwell November 29th

Today's highlights

Lapwing - 1200 roosting on fresh marsh
Ruff - 20 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - adult roosting on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
Twite - 8 on beach

Paul

This afternoon at Holkham - thousands of Common Scooter all going west along horizon past the wind turbines.
Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Common Scooter - sounds like a throwback to the sixties with mods and rockers descending on seaside venues (the former on scooters for those too young to know) - God, I am old.;)

Titchwell

Could anyone tell me what work the RSPB completed at Titchwell this autumn? I was in Norfolk in February, May and July and had seen that they were planning a big lot of work in the autumn.

Richard

Hi Richard

Most of this year's work has been building up the bank that separates the brackish marsh from the fresh marsh. Most of this was achieved using materials won on site and the resultant 'hole' will become an extension to the reedbed. Next time you visit, look to the right of Fen Hide you'll be able to see some of the open water which will eventually become colonised by reeds.

Next year will be the really exciting year. The bank between the fresh and brackish marshes will be raised to its final height. Also loads of work will be carried out on the fresh marsh including putting in additional islands for breeding avocet and roosting waders and taking out a lot of the reed that has encroached onto the fresh marsh from the West Bank path. Finally the replacement to Parrinder Hide will be constructed on the new bank.

There will be some work carried out to raise the height of sections of the West Bank which will require the footpath to be closed for at least six weeks from mid July. However, the reserve will still be open for business and visitors will be able to explore the southern part of the reserve via the board walks. The main path will be re-opened as soon as possible.

Check back on this forum next summer for updates on the path closure and if you want any more info you contact the reserve at [email protected].

Hope this helps

Rob

Could anyone tell me what work the RSPB completed at Titchwell this autumn? I was in Norfolk in February, May and July and had seen that they were planning a big lot of work in the autumn.

Richard

There were two Black necked Grebes together in Holkham Bay this morning 10.30-11.30. Close in to the shore, seen from the water's edge down to 100 yards. They were well to the east of the Gap roughly opposite the east end of a large inlet[/B]

Long Tailed Skuas

Apparently norfolk is a laughing stock when it comes to the above species, that is why its back as a description species. We see too many of them in autumn compared to any other east coast county. Maybe they just don't realise how good we are at seawatching and the fact that it is possible to id LTS on the horizon without seeing any plumage detail !!

Anything known about the RB Goose at Buckenham? Is it with Pinkfeet, or the resdident Barnacles / Canadas?

All I know is that it was there back in July, if not earlier, hanging out with Greylags and Egyptian Geese.

On another Buckenham goose note, the odd hybrid that hangs around with the Barnacle flock that looks vaguely like a Blue Snow Goose, was in the 2008 Bird and Mammal report twice; once as a Blue Snow Goose, and then at the back as a hybrid resembling a Blue Snow Goose. I assume the former was a mistake...

;)

Long Tailed Skuas

Apparently norfolk is a laughing stock when it comes to the above species, that is why its back as a description species. We see too many of them in autumn compared to any other east coast county. Maybe they just don't realise how good we are at seawatching and the fact that it is possible to id LTS on the horizon without seeing any plumage detail !!

If you're happy with your LTS's Stu then count them but re-classing it as a description species is the right thing to do. In my opinion...

(Or did I miss a smiley?) ;)

James

The duck is on wroxham broad if you come into wroxham on the A1151 go over the railway bridge and up to the mini roundabout take the right hand turn and follow the road untill you come to turn off on the left hand side the sign says wroxham broad follow this down to where the road comes to a t junction the road on the right is private but joe public can drive down it to a small car park (pay and display) this is the spot for the duck

I did once ask you at strumpshaw fen for directions to see goshawk at thetford but you said it was a sensitive site and could not tell me how to get there so i hope you are not going to bag the duck for the pot

cheers Nick ;)
Hi Nick

Thank you very much for directions, hopefully will bag duck for the pot;) the weekend ahead if I am lucky!!!

Sorry I can't remember Goshawk conversation at Strumpshaw at all - are you sure it was me?;) - seriously can't remember, sorry!

Common Scooter - sounds like a throwback to the sixties with mods and rockers descending on seaside venues (the former on scooters for those too young to know) - God, I am old.;)

Hi Colin

Just corrected my post!!! I KEEP spelling Scoter as Scooter - have done this a couple of times now on Norfolk thread and some clever clog keeps pointing it out!!!!!!!;););)

I remember those scooters too!!!!!!!! My father used to have a Vespa 125, in fact thats all he had - never had a car.

Hi all

Could anyone please give me directions to Warham Greens? I know vaguely where it is but not exactly, up in your great county this weekend and might take a spin down one evening to have a look at the roost (if it ever stops raining that is!!)

Many thanks

Good seabird passage off West Runton this afternoon with the highlight being a Little Auk west at c1440.

Other notable birds included a near constant stream of Kittiwakes, a Blue(ish) Fulmar, Little Gulls, good number of Bonxies including a group of 3 along the tideline, and lots of wildfowl including Velvet Scoter, Goosander, Goldeneyes, Eiders, Shovelers and Common Scoter.

Simon

Titchwell November 30th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - 1st winter on beach 12:30-13:00 only
Grey phalarope - 1st winter on fresh marsh 12:00 - dusk
Yellow legged gull - adult roosting on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 9 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 14 on fresh marsh
Twite - 2 on beach

Paul

8 hours at Sheringham and still no Little Auk

There was a claim of a distant one early on and myself and will tried to tick a small auk around 1.30 but the consensus was puffin ! I only got the back end of it. Sea watching was excellent though with the following seen from 7.30am. Divers dominated early on mostly heading east also a tricky Leach's. Kittiwakes were a constant feature until lunchtime. One of the highlights was the leucistic type Gannet which some 'joker' called as a sooty albatross !! It was a lovely silvery grey colour all over and probably a juv.

Leach's Petrel
45 Great Skuas
5 Arctic Skuas
3+ Pomarine Skuas
c10 Great Northern Divers (I saw 5 east and 2 west)
4 Black Throated Divers
c40 Red Throated Divers
Manx Shearwater
c5 Red Necked Grebes
2 Velvet Scoter
2 Puffin
Shag
Goosander
Sandwich Tern
50+ Little Gulls
20+ Gannets
300+ Kittiwakes (estimate)
3 Fulmar including a 'Blue'

Last edited:
Silver Surfer

One of the highlights was the leucistic type Gannet which some 'joker' called as a sooty albatross !! It was a lovely silvery grey colour all over and probably a juv.

Quite possibly one of the coolest looking birds Ive ever seen, It was uniform silver all over, looking more like a ghost of a Gannet, Giles said he'd never seen anything like it ... in all his years. Anyway clearly was a Light-mantled Sooty Albatross, Sooty Albatross is a browny colour ;)

If you're happy with your LTS's Stu then count them but re-classing it as a description species is the right thing to do. In my opinion...

(Or did I miss a smiley?) ;)

James

Yes I should have attached a smiley.
It will be interesting to see how many long tailed skuas there are in the 2010 report ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back