• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Mark, The link took me to the Royal Photographer's site, could not find anything on tape luring - can you elucidate further? Cheers.
The link Mark posted went to the Royal Photographic Society Nature Group's Nature Photographers' Code of Practice, which includes the following:

"The use of playback tape or stuffed predators (to stimulate territorial or alarm reactions) should not be undertaken near the nest in the breeding season. Additionally the use of bait or song tapes to attract birds to the camera, even though this is away from the nest, should not be under-taken in an occupied breeding territory. Use of such methods may be considered illegal with respect to Schedule 1 species."

Last edited:
Titchwell March 29th

Today’s highlights

Crossbill – 20 west this morning
Red kite – 2 west
Little ringed plover – 1 on fresh marsh
Redpoll sp – 48 west this morning
Velvet scoter – 3 off Thornham Point
Red crested pochard – female on fresh marsh
Avocet – 47 on fresh marsh

Paul

The link Mark posted went to the Royal Photographic Society Nature Group's Nature Photographers' Code of Practice, which includes the following:

"The use of playback tape or stuffed predators (to stimulate territorial or alarm reactions) should not be undertaken near the nest in the breeding season. Additionally the use of bait or song tapes to attract birds to the camera, even though this is away from the nest, should not be under-taken in an occupied breeding territory. Use of such methods may be considered illegal with respect to Schedule 1 species."

Thank you Nick, my error in not reading it right through to the very end this morning.
Mark, useful guidelines as you mentioned. I genuinely hope that revisiting the subject then debating, educating or reminding all of us will, perhaps, lead to a more sensitive approach to fieldcraft and awareness of our actions as birders etc. Pat

Last edited:
Birders code of conduct

I... a minibus of birders at a site in Norfolk who walked out into a known breeding area of a scarce species, asked if any of the birds were about and then commenced to use not one but several audio devices to try to get a response ...

It is a sad indictment on today's birding society that this kind of behaviour is rife. Sometimes it is just enthusiastic ignorance, others clearly reflect a 'don't give a sh*t attittude, as long as I get my county/UK/day/year/life tick'.

Few of us who have been birding for any length of time will know that this is exactly why such things as LEO roosts and harrier/kite/goshawk nest sites, etc. are closely guarded secrets. Frankly, there is always an idiot or two to spoil it for the rest - I refer you to below!

Last edited:
patch mega!

Glorious evening at Surlingham Church Marsh. 3 Chiffchaff now singing, Little Egret, kingfisher and Marsh Harrier.
Noticing a good number of Duck on the lagoon, I had a scan and stumbled across a pair of super Garganey, my first record here! Even asleep and in the hazy sunshine, that white head stripe is a giveaway! Could not be happier. Write up and hopefully record shots to come on my blog this evening.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
It is a sad indictment on today's birding society that this kind of behaviour is rife. Sometimes it is just enthusiastic ignorance, others clearly reflect a 'don't give a sh*t attittude, as long as I get my county/UK/day/year/life tick'.

Few of us who have been birding for any length of time will know that this is exactly why such things as LEO roosts and harrier/kite/goshawk nest sites, etc. are closely guarded secrets. Frankly, there is always an idiot or two to spoil it for the rest - I refer you to below!

If you want sites for leos and other stuff to remain secret stop talking about it on this site and on individual blogs!!

I had an email from Joern this evening - apparently our 4 Glossy Ibises from Cantley (including the ringed one) turned up at Braunschweig in Germany on Wednesday, staying there only until this morning. Photo here. They were last reported at Cantley on Tuesday - anyone know what time?

Noticing a good number of Duck on the lagoon, I had a scan and stumbled across a pair of super Garganey, my first record here! Even asleep and in the hazy sunshine, that white head stripe is a giveaway! Could not be happier.
Jim.

Nice find Jim, a pleasant surprise I'm sure!

Been patching quite a lot recently, 2 pairs of Buzzard on the patch are amusing to watch, kestrels and a red kite ticked.

Lapwing was the latest to the list today, 6 gt spotted woodpeckers and several chiffchaff that have arrived this week!

A late(?) flock of 70 fieldfare and 3 redwing was a nice sight also this afternoon! Getting ready to go perhaps

Barn,little and tawny owl this week too :)

Last edited:
Now you are opening up a can of worms. I wonder if you will get any responses to this!!
Is there an element of NIMBY ism with this? I'm neither condoning nor castigating people for 'tape-luring' and for myself its not something I've made use of on more than a few occasions over many years.However, I can only think of the odd organised foreign jaunt when luring WASN'T used. Are Swedish Pygmy Owls, Estonian Red-breasted Flycatchers or Spanish Red-necked Nightjars less deserving than say a Breckland Woodlark?
Aren't visiting birders from abroad expecting a similar level of 'service' if I can put it that way. And no I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest - just curious as to where people stand.
Regards
Russ

Red kite tastic
We saw 5 at holkham this morning between 9.30 - 11.30 with 3 together and then singles. Moving east we had 2 over Stiffkey fen and then a final bird over cley windmill, definite highlight along with 8 red deer galloping along the back of pat's pool !!

I had an email from Joern this evening - apparently our 4 Glossy Ibises from Cantley (including the ringed one) turned up at Braunschweig in Germany on Wednesday, staying there only until this morning. Photo here. They were last reported at Cantley on Tuesday - anyone know what time?
Thanks for the info on the 4 Glossy Ibis- I was lucky enough to get some fantastic close views while they were here at Cantley, a lifer too !
Hopefully we'll here further up dates of them .
Shaky

Is there an element of NIMBY ism with this? I'm neither condoning nor castigating people for 'tape-luring' and for myself its not something I've made use of on more than a few occasions over many years.However, I can only think of the odd organised foreign jaunt when luring WASN'T used. Are Swedish Pygmy Owls, Estonian Red-breasted Flycatchers or Spanish Red-necked Nightjars less deserving than say a Breckland Woodlark?
Aren't visiting birders from abroad expecting a similar level of 'service' if I can put it that way. And no I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest - just curious as to where people stand.
Regards
Russ

The fact is you would be breaking the law in this country, how does the law stand in Sweden, Spain etc

John

This afternoon I had a Little ringed plover over the marsh before landing alone. Possibly another in among the vegetation but I was only unable to stay around as bank was calling!
Once again I'll be busy this weekend so if any one pops down to Thorpe and sees anything Over next two days please let me know, cheers.
Shaky

Hornet's nest ? Yes, I know it's a birding forum.

Is there an element of NIMBY ism with this?

Of course, Russ. The Englishman's patch should have no hassle.

1. But, as already reiterated, tape-luring without a license is illegal. Nick has given us chapter and verse in #15640 and #15641.

2. There is more than an element of hypocrisy in what some people say and what they do in the field- or have done for them. If anyone has ever complained to the leader of a foreign tour about the use of playback and asked that it not be used, please inform us here. I can think of few birders who would spend several thousand pounds and not avail themselves of the ‘full range of benefits’. (Note recent legal restrictions on ‘close approaches’ in India, over some of their threatened species.) I might add that I have never been on one of these; who’d put up with my company for 10 days or more ?

Having said that, I heard of some disgraceful behaviour over a certain 'difficult' bird in Thailand, which resulted in physical violence towards photographers by members of a tour group. In this case, both parties (nationalities irrelevant) were in the wrong: the photographers having ‘set up shop’ on the main feeding ground of the birds- which subsequently relocated.

In conclusion, birds are both legally protected and their welfare paramount.

I had a 3rd-winter Caspian Gull at Whitlingham this morning on the posts along the conservation area bay. It initially flew off whilst I was taking notes, but I saw it again around 11 so it is probably still in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back