• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Red-breasted Flycatcher at Warham

This bird was found while we were at Wells Woods so a minor detour on the way home took us to Garden Drove.

The Red-breasted Flycatcher was spending much of its time just a few feet off the ground in the hedges. Luckily it flew onto an open perch just a dozen or so feet from me. :t:

Attachments

• Red-breasted Flycatcher 120922 IMG_9663 web.jpg
    Red-breasted Flycatcher 120922 IMG_9663 web.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 229
Many thanks for the link young Roberto; in case it's been missed, Cley Bird Club now have their website up and running. This too will be of great interest to not only Norfolk based birders, but many visiting ones as well.

The Cley Bird Club site is due to go live on 1st October. At present it is still being tested and some of the reports on there reflect this. The data will all be wiped before the site goes live. B :)

Titchwell September 22nd

Today’s highlights

Pectoral sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh early morning only
Spoonbill – 8 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on grazing meadow
Curlew sandpiper – juv on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Leach’s petrel – 1 west early morning
Brambling – 2 by feeders
Grey wagtail – 1 west

Paul

Red-breasted Flycatcher

Found this little beauty on garden drove at warham this morning. I assume its a well marked first winter male ? It shows a faint wing bar, though it is quite grey on the head and face ?

Attachments

• IMG_3140aa.jpg
    IMG_3140aa.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3138aa.jpg
    IMG_3138aa.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3137aa.jpg
    IMG_3137aa.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3142aa.jpg
    IMG_3142aa.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 147
Great morning on the Point

Details on blog but in summary

Barred Warbler
Ortolan Bunting
2 Lapland Bunts
Pie Fly, Redstart, Spot Fly

Surprisingly no Y Brows or RBF's there (that I could find)

Today’s highlights

Brambling – 2 by feeders
Grey wagtail – 1 west

Paul

Paul,
Before I make a fool of myself.
Would you please confirm this is a Pectoral for me.
Seen today at Hickling.
Thanks Paul

Attachments

• Pectoral.JPG
    Pectoral.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 269
Today’s highlights

Brambling – 2 by feeders
Grey wagtail – 1 west

Paul

No mention of Baird's is the jury still out?

The CBC website, as mentioned below, will be available from the beginning of next month. I’ve had a sneak preview and, must say, it’s looking very good. Well done to those who’ve put in the time, effort and expertise to make it happen.

Today is, I hope, merely a brief prelude to the Grosse Fuge of tomorrow. It started disastrously, with my missing 4 Goosanders over Gramboro’, mercilessly gripped off by Bradders- and not helped by my being less than 3 metres tall. The male Stonechat remains there- and is now in a fascinating plumage and quite different from when it was regularly being claimed as a Sibe.

Walsey was bypassed, in the rush to get to Warham Greens, before the multitude. My car was the third on the concrete pad and, within minutes, I was gorging on the gorgeous, apricot-gorgeted RbFlycatcher. (Congrats and thanks, Stuart. May you produce similar feats many more times this autumn.)

Not that the bird facilitated my snapping, as the results below illustrate- although I seem to have a reasonable shot of it in flight. Others seem to have had more luck.

With tummy gurgling, it was time for Wells town, to buy a temporarily portable lunch, then The Woods. A Yellow-browed called several times in the Dell, but kept invisible. I believe I heard another call faintly, from further away, almost concurrently.

Eventually, I gave up and moved west, to the Almost-Moist-Spongy-Boggy-Depression, which used to be the Drinking Pool. A couple of trrrs later, and a Pied Fly flew into a tree above us, then performed magnificently. Further west still, where there are deciduous trees both sides of the main track, and a camera-shy Yellow-browed hove into view, occasionally calling in a half-hearted way.

A few Siskins and Redpolls flew over from time to time, calling.

Attachments

• 062pse.jpg
    062pse.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 086pse.jpg
    086pse.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 091pse.jpg
    091pse.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 208pse.jpg
    208pse.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Found this little beauty on garden drove at warham this morning. I assume its a well marked first winter male ? It shows a faint wing bar, though it is quite grey on the head and face ?

Great find Stuart and a joy to see after a long day at work.
Failing light and the bird favouring places of greater height made it hard to get decent shots though.
Lets hope for more of the same over the weekend.

I would hit the delete button, its a Ruff

John

John,
Thanks for the feedback
Please note the size of my mystery on the left of the shot
In the background is a Ruff
Also size comparison of the godwits

Anyone else can help please do
Thanks to all
Paul

Attachments

• NotaRuff.JPG
    NotaRuff.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 245
Fabulous day at Holme - nice to see both carparks full of birders for a change!

Red-breasted Flycatcher, Wryneck, Barred Warbler all photographed. Missed most other birds seen at Holme. Photographed the RBFly at 6.50pm by myself, if only the branch had not been in the way.

See pics on blogs now.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
John,
Thanks for the feedback
Please note the size of my mystery on the left of the shot
In the background is a Ruff
Also size comparison of the godwits

Anyone else can help please do
Thanks to all
Paul

Paul

Ruff come in all sizes and plumages, with varying leg colours. Both the bird on the left and the bird at the rear are Ruff. Basically if you find a medium sized wader you are not sure about, it will be a Ruff!! Everybody has made the same mistake in the past.

Keep looking

John

Paul,

To further elaborate, Ruff is always very heavily scalloped on the mantle, and rarely shows a defined pectoral band. Pec sand is a rather smart bird, with a neatly demarcated pectoral band, large super behind the eye & "tram-lines" on the mantle. The size difference in Ruff can be attributed to sexual dimorphism.

Keep scanning those flocks!

Great morning on the Point

Details on blog but in summary

Barred Warbler
Ortolan Bunting
2 Lapland Bunts
Pie Fly, Redstart, Spot Fly

Surprisingly no Y Brows or RBF's there (that I could find)

Rb fly there in the afternoon. Adult male. V.nice. Not my find though :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back