• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Saturday 9th September 7am start!!!!

Alarm went off a silly time and I left packed with 2 flasks and lots of food all excited and ready for a BIG birding day!!! I arrived at Holme at 7am and parked by the 5-bar gate half way down 'Firs' road. It was a very high tide (8.4 metres). It was a beautiful morning, and the sea came right up to the dunes, pushing thousands of waders off their feeding grounds, swirling in masses, it was a spectacular sight and an unusual one, you don't normally see this at Holme as the sea rarely comes up that high, whereas at Snettisham it comes up further, which is why Snettisham is one of the best places to see thousands of waders put up by the tide.

I followed the coast path towards the reserves, passing 3 other birders on route. I was hoping this was going to be an exciting day! High tide was just after 8am, I met up with Jed Andrews (warden of HBO - Holme Bird Obs.) and some others for a sea watch. Birds that I saw were, 1 Arctic skua, eiders, common, sandwich terns and adult and Juv. gannets.

The others (warden + friends) had seen 'a single Pomarine Skua and three Arctic Skua, 250+ Gannet, the first two Velvet Scoter of the autumn, two Red- throated Diver and 200+ Teal and 2 black terns. Also later in the day somebody has seen a Barred Warbler present early am and a Redstart in the paddocks (behind bungalows).

I walked as far as Thornham channel where I saw 40+ ringed plovers, 100+ sanderling, bar tailed godwit x 10 and a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by a tern. I walked along Thornham bank and took some pictures of the morning sun glittering across the water, 'saw some linnets by sluice, swallows and little egrets. Walked back to HBO for sandwiches, 40 winks and a yarn. A birder came up and told us he has seen a barred warbler!!! in the bushes either side of the road just before the gate half way down the road - lucky him!!! I spent a long time walking up and down the main bank scanning for something magical in the sea buckthorn and elderberries but alas nothing massively exciting, apart from a white throat, great tit and chaffinch! Oh I did get very excited when for a split second I thought I was looking - ha ha! at a snowy owl sitting in the grass, but then a head raised up to reveal a very funny looking white pheasant with a short tail!!!!!!!!! - got the heart racing though I can tell you!! (This was the most excitement I had that day!!!). Walked back to the car via the 'forestry' and spent a long time here scanning bushes (a brilliant spot in migration) but nothing again apart from magpies! When I reached where my car was parked, there were several people standing about looking for the barred warbler, but no one had seen it. I bumped into a couple of friends who had just seen a redstart behind the bungalows in the paddocks, so I went to have a look and did I see it??? NOOOOO!!!!!! Drove further along road to Redwell Marsh Reserve (NOA) and saw a few pied wags and 2 very beautiful red-legged partridge. Popped in to parents for tea and cake and then stopped in Hunstanton on way home to view evening tide and stupid holiday makers leaning over seawall by cliffs and then wondering why they got soaked as a wave came up and sloshed them!!! Ha ha!!!! :girl: :flyaway:

Last edited:
Norfolk Trip

Hi again Norfolk peeps :king:

Have finally booked my Norfolk birding break for fri 29th and sat 30th, leaving on sunday. Plumped to stay in Wells in the end (thanks again for that advice). Any more info on local pubs/restaurants would be most useful.

Really looking forward to it and praying for good weather.

Kstar

plenty around in Norfolk today...

black-head bunting at Holme
common rosefinch at Salthouse
red-backed shrike at Kelling
osprey at Rockland

also good numbers of wheatears around on the coast.

postcardcv said:
plenty around in Norfolk today...

black-head bunting at Holme
common rosefinch at Salthouse
red-backed shrike at Kelling
osprey at Rockland

also good numbers of wheatears around on the coast.

Last I heard black-headed bunting had not been confirmed yet? Has it now? Best Wishes Penny

Penny Clarke said:
Last I heard black-headed bunting had not been confirmed yet? Has it now? Best Wishes Penny

from people I've spoken to it's definitely a black-headed bunting, it seems to have been around for a while... question of origin is now the issue.

kstar_76 said:
Hi again Norfolk peeps :king:

Plumped to stay in Wells in the end (thanks again for that advice). Any more info on local pubs/restaurants would be most useful.

Really looking forward to it and praying for good weather.

Kstar

Golden Fleece in Wells good for a beer - Fri night Disco too!!!

Ark Royal too

Jolly Sailors in Brancaster is excellent for food, Ostrich in South Creake too...

Red Lion in Stiffkey had great beer. Further round Dun Cow is nice and if you get to the East Coast try the Nelson's Head in Horsey and the Waxham Barn. Hickling Village has a couple of good pubs too

Plenty to choose from

Tim

kstar_76 said:
Have finally booked my Norfolk birding break for fri 29th and sat 30th, leaving on sunday. Plumped to stay in Wells in the end (thanks again for that advice). Any more info on local pubs/restaurants would be most useful.

Kstar
The Anchor in Morston does some exceptional meals, lunch and evening... well worth a visit. In fact I'll be in there at least once during the week you're going.
Oh, and there a good little cafe on the quay at Wells that does a good cheap breakfast.

cheers,
Andy

postcardcv said:
from people I've spoken to it's definitely a black-headed bunting, it seems to have been around for a while... question of origin is now the issue.

opps spoke too soon... I've still not seen the bird myself but today there are suggestions that it might be an escaped weaver sp. (village weaver?)...

osprey still at rockland
pec sand still at cley
rb shrike still at kelling

so it's not all bad news!

postcardcv said:
opps spoke too soon... I've still not seen the bird myself but today there are suggestions that it might be an escaped weaver sp. (village weaver?)...

osprey still at rockland
pec sand still at cley

Yes I had heard that it was probably an escaped weaver from someone in the village!

.......and there was a Tawney Pipit on Blakeney Point Long Hills at midday. An osprey seen at Holme NOA at 3.55pm and seen perched on the church flag pole at Old Hunstanton at 4pm!!

After work I went to Lynn Point, got there too late really but had distant view of a marsh harrier, a green woodpecker came bounding over my head and a merlin flew in!!!! Hundreds of gulls coming in to roost. Don't often come here, bit too lonely on your own.

Tim Allwood said:
Jolly Sailors in Brancaster is excellent for food, Ostrich in South Creake too...

yep can vouch for both. Is the Dun cow at Salthouse Tim?

The Bell at Wiveton is good.

postcardcv said:

osprey still at rockland
pec sand still at cley

what are the chances of the osprey wondering over to strumpshaw?

might be able to get a few hours there over the weekend,hopefully before it leaves the area.

matt

That Rare-o-meter is awesome. If its anything to go by, ill have to pop out to the coast tomorrow.

Popped down to Salthouse Today at around 2ish, to have a look before i had to go to work at 5. Juv. Red Necked Grebe just of the beach. Great, as it was a first for me. Also a couple of gannets and an Arctic Skua out to sea. Lots of Wheatear and Meadow Pippets about around the hill to the West of the area, as well as a Whinchat. About 7 Ringed Plover feeding in the puddles by the car park.

On my way back to the car, i was told by one chap that a Redstart had appeared in the car park. was pretty excited, as this would also be a first for me. Found it hiding underneath a Mondeo, cowering from all the ppl trying to take its picture! Its always nice to see new birds, but i think i would rather see Redstarts in a more natural situation! It was a Juv. bird, but still very nice.

J Moss said:
On my way back to the car, i was told by one chap that a Redstart had appeared in the car park. was pretty excited, as this would also be a first for me. Found it hiding underneath a Mondeo, cowering from all the ppl trying to take its picture! Its always nice to see new birds, but i think i would rather see Redstarts in a more natural situation! It was a Juv. bird, but still very nice.

As one of the people that found this bird, it arrived off the sea and went straight under my car and sat only inches from mine and Dave Whistles feet, I take exeption to the comments that this bird was "cowering from people trying to take its picture"

I and the other photographers there pointed the bird out to all who arrived so that noboby missed out on seeing this delightful bird.

The Redstart in question spent several hours moving around under the cars in the car park as they provided the only cover available and because it was feasting on Craneflies that were numerous in the shade of the cars. when the bird did come out in the open it often was coming too close to focus and was oblivious to the birders and photographers there, it gave exeptionally good views as you will see here....
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/107403/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Last edited:
Brilliant shot of redstart Nigel.

Reports today of:

Yellow Browed Warbler near west of north end of East Bank at Cley, also Pectoral Sandpiper. No news of red backed shrike Kelling Water Meadows.

Minsmere - Lapland Bunting by sluice and up to 6 Hobby.

Unconfirmed report of Little Bunting 300 yards south of chalets with Linnets in morning at Snettisham RSPB.

Sea Palling - Balearic shearwater.

Balearic shearwater at Sheringham.

Finished work early :clap: now going to Snettisham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back