• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth Alpin 10x40 (1 Viewer)

Marko_

the Finn
Anyone know how the Optolyth Alpin 10x40 porros compare with Nikon 10x42 SE.

I'm looking for a 10x porro with very good image, especially sharpness. Are the Nikons significantly better?

Marko

Yes they are. The older Alpin (brass body and ribbed armor) are as bright as the SE but have a bit of a golden/yellow/reddish bias to their image. The color fringing is visible. The focuser is nice and smooth and the binoculars feel great in the hand. They are lighter than the SE. The new Alpin (plastic body) are much dimmer (less bright) than the SE and the older model. They also have a focuser that is stiffer (annoying) and slower than the older Alpin or the SE. Both the older and the newer Alpins are sharp, have decent edge sharpness and are worth their price, but they don't compete with the SE.
If i found a used Alpin 10x40 (old version) in perfect condition for $300 i would snap it.

Marko_ said:

I'm looking for a 10x porro with very good image, especially sharpness. Are the Nikons significantly better?

Marko
We have the older Alpin and, at the time we bought them, they were very highly regarded indeed. They still offer a super light construction with a bright, wide and sharp view. I'd guess they would be up there with the Nikons in many areas but coatings and the like have surely improved - well, I'd like to think so!

Marko_ said:

Marko

The Nikons are significantly better in all respects, especially build quality. Optolyths, both old style and so-called New Generation, are actually OK optically (although not at the Nikon SE level) but are notoriously fragile. The roof prism versions (Royal series) are even worse from a build quality perspective. I would not buy another of either configuaration at any price.

chartwell99 said:
The Nikons are significantly better in all respects, especially build quality. Optolyths, both old style and so-called New Generation, are actually OK optically (although not at the Nikon SE level) but are notoriously fragile. The roof prism versions (Royal series) are even worse from a build quality perspective. I would not buy another of either configuaration at any price.
How odd - ours are ten years old, have had regular use and are A1. I would say they are very finely constructed.

Mine too. My 10x50 Alpins are about 15 years old now and still going strong; and they've never leaked or had any problem other than a slightly loose right eye focus (which I hold in position with a bit of insulating tape). Fold down eyecups needed replacement recently as they'd perished through being left rolled down all the time. These were about the best bins for spec wearers at the time I bought them, but since I've had eye surgery and no longer wear specs, now need the eye cups up again.

Last edited:
scampo said:
How odd - ours are ten years old, have had regular use and are A1. I would say they are very finely constructed.

OK, so you rate them quite highly. But have you had a chance to compare to Nikon SE's?

I've had a pair of Optolyth Alpin 10x50s since 1987 and they are still going strong. They have been all over the place with me and have never let in any water or fogged up even in the most horrendous of conditions (despite not being technically waterproof). I have always found the image quality to be superb.

That said, I have just bought a pair of Opticron Imagic 8x42 - mainly because they are more compact.

Marko_ said:
OK, so you rate them quite highly. But have you had a chance to compare to Nikon SE's?
Well no. Not sure the SE's were around when I bought my Optolyths, but it's hardly comparing like with like considering the price difference, current Nikon SE's costing nearly twice as much as the equivalent Optolyth Alpins. So perhaps it was an odd question to ask in the first place. I also note that the weight of my Alpin 10x50s is much the same as that of the current SE 8x32s. :h?:

I've owned both the newer Optolyth Alpin 8x40 and the 8x32 Nikon SE. In terms of optics, there's no competition: the Nikon is sharper, has better contrast, and better colour reproduction. Also, from the start, my Optolyth had a rather flimsy focusing mechanism: as I turned the central focusing wheel, the two oculars would come to focus at different rates, resulting in one ocular usually being slightly unfocused. I got the bridge repaired and the focusing mechanism cleaned/greased, but the problem still remained - to a lesser extent though. The SEs are worth the extra money in my opinion.

Iain

Thanks again, everyone, for your replies.

I know I posed a funny question, comparing two such different binoculars, especially taken the price difference into consideration.

My idea was to find out if the Nikon SE's are worth the price difference, and from what I've read, I think the conclusion is quite clear. If (and when!) I decide to buy a 10x binocular I want to get something of the utmost quality, with an outstanding image. I had heard that the Alpins have a fine image, so I thought I'd try to find out how they compare against the SE's which I think are one of the utmost best 10x porros available. Of course, I am open to other suggestions, if anyone can think of something even better!

Marko

I think you’d be hard pushed to find a porro that could beat the SEs, but there are two newish binoculars that might be worth considering: the Minox BD 10x44 BP and the Opticron 10x42 HR WP. Unfortunately, I’ve tried neither, but if I had to buy a new porro prism, I’d want to try these two out.

Iain

sidewayspigeon said:
I think you’d be hard pushed to find a porro that could beat the SEs, but there are two newish binoculars that might be worth considering: the Minox BD 10x44 BP and the Opticron 10x42 HR WP. Unfortunately, I’ve tried neither, but if I had to buy a new porro prism, I’d want to try these two out.

Iain

Yes, I have heard about those. It seems the Opticron is outstanding in terms of image sharpness and brightness, but the field of view is rather narrow. The 10x has only 89m/1000m. Otherwise, it seems to be a very tempting alternative, and surely its price (and the fact it's waterproof) makes it even more tempting.

What do you think of the Alpin 8x30 (newest model)?
How does it compare to a Nikon Monarch f.ex.?
Is it stopped down?
How about ergonomics, eyepiece size, focus knob stiffness and such?
Thanks and merry christmas...
Carsten J

I have a pair of these for sale.

Optolyth 10x40s, you can check them out on this eBay listing.

If you would like to purchase them here, then Ill knock $20 off as we can avoid eBay fees.

Private Message me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back