• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DOI HQ7 conversion (1 Viewer)

thornlv

Here is my first attempt at converting a DOI HQ7 2x TC.

The lens cell is superglued into a bayonet end ext tube for Nikon AF, The bayonet also has the EMF chip glued on - later I can programme it for the focal length and equivelant F Stop. Note also the doi came with a neat little hard case, just perfect size for the mod.

An image taken in test, subject about 15 mtrs.

Compared to the kenko 2X TC, I calculate the DOI mod is 2.2X and a little faster at equivelant ISOs

Attachments

• DOI1.jpg
    DOI1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 197
  • DOI2.jpg
    DOI2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 229
  • iso500.jpg
    iso500.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Nice one there. That glue at the back of TC, can you get it painted flat black. It look highly reflective. Can you run some test as I mentioned in the other thread, compare the results of the bird taken with and without the DOI TC. Any specific advantages of the DOI over the others?

Nice one there. That glue at the back of TC, can you get it painted flat black. It look highly reflective. Can you run some test as I mentioned in the other thread, compare the results of the bird taken with and without the DOI TC. Any specific advantages of the DOI over the others?

When I had a Pentax dslr I tried in the region of 10 - 15 various 7 element teleconverters. The Pentax mount probably has the most 7 element converters available of any camera mount. All of them apart from the DOI would become soft at around 30m or less. The DOI HQ7 was the only one I found that would give sharp images at any range. Only ones I didn't try was the Kenko Pro 2X and the big brand names like Canon, Nikon etc due to the costs.

Now though I'd recommend just taking the elements from a zoom lens.

At 30m or more the teleconverter/barlow/telenegative will resolve way more detail than just the 600mm scope cropped. I took a few images this morning that I'll try and get up later today.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back