• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Do Some Leupold Binos have BX-2 or BX-3 In Their Name? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I was just looking at some Leupold binos in the 8x32 and 8x42 range. I noticed something that I don't understand and would like someone to explain it to me.

One of the binos that was recommended here a couple weeks ago or so was the Leupold BX-3 MOJAVE in 8x32 or 8x42. I looked it up and saw that there is also a Leupold MOJAVE and they are quite a bit more expensive. I have seen others with this naming style too.

Can someone explain to me what the BX-2 or BX-3 means in their names? Also, how are these binos different than the models with the EXACT same name but don't have the "BX" in their name?

Lastly, why in the world would Leupold, or any other company, choose a naming system like that? Seems really dumb to me. It's confusing as can be to those that are looking at their lineup and thinking about buying from them. Could they not spend 15 more minutes and come up with a different name for these binos with the "BX" stuff in their names?

GEEZ.

Thanks for your time and help.
Larry

Hey all,

I was just looking at some Leupold binos in the 8x32 and 8x42 range. I noticed something that I don't understand and would like someone to explain it to me.

One of the binos that was recommended here a couple weeks ago or so was the Leupold BX-3 MOJAVE in 8x32 or 8x42. I looked it up and saw that there is also a Leupold MOJAVE and they are quite a bit more expensive. I have seen others with this naming style too.

Can someone explain to me what the BX-2 or BX-3 means in their names? Also, how are these binos different than the models with the EXACT same name but don't have the "BX" in their name?

Lastly, why in the world would Leupold, or any other company, choose a naming system like that? Seems really dumb to me. It's confusing as can be to those that are looking at their lineup and thinking about buying from them. Could they not spend 15 more minutes and come up with a different name for these binos with the "BX" stuff in their names?

GEEZ.

Thanks for your time and help.
Larry

Larry

I visited the Leupold website and all of their bins have a BX number. If you have been looking up their bins on dealers sites I am guessing they just couldn't be bothered to post up the BX mumber and figured everyone would be happy just with them using the name of the model.

Why not visit the Leupold site yourself?
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/binoculars/
Lee

They have many riflescopes in their "VX" lines and I guess bins needed a "B"... (????)

Also, its always a good time to mention to be sure you're pronouncing it correctly ("Loo-pold") because I was NOT even though I was around the gun community from my teenage years forward and now constantly have to correct myself (I just had "lee-o-pold" stuck in my brain from saying it that way for so long.)

I always thought the few that said it correctly were the ones who were wrong... :eat:

The Leupold site only has 2017 models. NONE of the models that I am looking at are in the Leupokd site. Like the one that everyone was talking about last week and how Cabelas was having a great sale one them.....not there.

The Leupold binos that I would be able to afford, are no longer on the their web site.

On some of the dealers sites they would show one set with the BX listing and then a listing for an exact same series but a different magnification, but without the BX. Then on other dealer sites I would see a listing for the BX-2 MAGICBINO 8x42 for $249 and then on the same site on another page I would see a listing for the MAGICBINO 10x42 for $459. Thats an example with a made up name illustrating on what I saw last night. I have been on many Leupold seller sites and some had the names one way and others had it another way. You couldn't make any reason out of it at all.

That's why I asked.

The Leupold site only has 2017 models. NONE of the models that I am looking at are in the Leupokd site. Like the one that everyone was talking about last week and how Cabelas was having a great sale one them.....not there.

MUH,

Try HERE!

Although these have been discontinued, they are being replaced by their new "HD BX-4 8X32" upgrade coming out in June (according to Leupold...same specs but with ED glass)!

Ted

The promoted new bins have Quote Long eye relief makes them easy to use by those with, or without eyeglasses, Unquote.

How long is long? The technical answer, is Quote N/A Unquote exoressed in mm. Perhaps loopold should settle for imperial measure!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back