• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Type of prisms in Japanese classic binos (1 Viewer)

Elmer Fudd

Sometimes they appear on the internet on sites like ..bay and on yard sales. The classic Japanese binoculars of the porro 7x50 type. Exactly the type I grew up with when my father once owned a pair of.

My question is if they were built on BAK4 or BK7-type prisms. Were there some among the countless Japanese manufacturers who typically used BAK4 while others used BK7 prisms?

What type of prisms were used by Carl Zeiss Jena in their 8x30, 7x50 and 10x50 binos?

What about the JB-23 Columbus 7x50 binos? BAK4 or BK7?

Elmer,

Several years ago I really got into vintage binoculars...almost exclusively 7x35 and 7x50 extra wide angle Japanese porros. My experience is that most of the ones I owned were Bak4 but many were also BK7. Checking out the shape of the exit pupil was usually the easiest way of telling short of having it printed on the binocular's housing. You can see many of them on my flickr page....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73029961@N07/albums

With a 7x50 I don't know if the squared off exit pupils make a difference if ones eyes pupils are less than 5mm or 6mm.

Sometimes they appear on the internet on sites like ..bay and on yard sales. The classic Japanese binoculars of the porro 7x50 type. Exactly the type I grew up with when my father once owned a pair of.

My question is if they were built on BAK4 or BK7-type prisms. Were there some among the countless Japanese manufacturers who typically used BAK4 while others used BK7 prisms?

What type of prisms were used by Carl Zeiss Jena in their 8x30, 7x50 and 10x50 binos?

What about the JB-23 Columbus 7x50 binos? BAK4 or BK7?

12 “‘BACK 4 PRISMS’ ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE OLD BK7 PRISMS.”

This is one of the harder topics to explain because those who are the most ardent about technical accuracy often lack the experience to determine what is or is not … technically accurate.

Who’s on First?

The first thing on which the inquisitive observer must decide is the real designation of the glass type being discussed. BaK4 (Barium Light Crown by Schott, now N-BaK4, nd1.569) is often referred to by a number of permutations of letters and numerals, including just calling it “back four” as many neophytes do. Also, some designations refer to glass produced by more recently established manufacturers, which may not offer the consistency in quality control one would find associated with long-time industry leaders. It gets even more convoluted when we realize some people talk of glass such as BK6 as if it were Schott Bk6; it’s not. BK6 (note the capital “K”) is made at the Lytkarino Optical Glass Factory near Moscow.

Bk7 vs. BaK4

The big question is whether or not BaK4 is a better glass than Bk7. The short answer is: absolutely not. A highly refined glass, Bk7 has had a long history of being the leading crown glass used in the production of photo-visual instruments.

So just why all the speculations? Having a higher index of refraction (1.569 vs. 1.517 for Bk7), BaK4 enables a total internal reflection of rays at steeper incident angles, and thus avoids a loss of light off axis in short focal ratio systems and most handheld Porro prism binoculars operate around f/4.

The illustrations on the next page describe what any aficionado or shopper can readily see and is something retailers wanting to sell a more expensive binocular are more than willing to show them. Nevertheless, while the images are telling, they might not be telling you as much as you want to know.

A Touch of Realism

During the day our irises are constricted and most or all of the light rays from the grayed out part of the binocular’s exit pupil are falling on the iris and not reaching the retina. At night, when our eyes are dark adapted and our pupils open their widest, our vision is most sensitive peripherally. We do take in light from those gray areas but, as experienced amateur astronomers tell us, a light drop-off of 40% at the edge of our field of view is imperceptible to most people. :cat:

Hi,

thanks Bill for the very nice explanation, although I guess you didn't have to write it for the occasion ;-)

Joachim

Thanks, Joachim:

Nope; it’s in the book. But, having the info at my fingertips so I can copy, paste, and press a button is a great thing for me. Some publishers I approached were upset that I would “give away” that which could be sold ... BY THEM. But, while I would like a little “burger money” out of this boondoggle, the real importance is in how I can help my inquisitive neighbor.

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back