• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida June 2016 (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
Page
/6
Page 1 of 6

ANN AND ROLAND GO TO FLORIDA

JUNE 2016

This was not specifically a birding holiday. It was intended to be for relaxation but it didn’t stop us

taking our binoculars and scope with us! We flew into Miami then drove down to Key West and back

staying at Homestead for 6 nights and Marathon for four. Staying at Homestead gave us easy access

to the Everglades plus the opportunity to go snorkelling whilst Homestead was good for the Keys

and more snorkelling

The Everglades

We were very saddened by the amount of habitat destruction here and also by how little access we

had to the actual Everglades themselves. On our first day we drove along the 9336 which took us

from the Ernest F.Coe Visitor Centre right down to Flamingo (38miles). We were really looking

forward to exploring the Anhinga and Gumbo limbo trails at Royal Palm but the former was closed

and the second had the worst mosquitoes we have ever had the misfortune to come across! They

were doing restoration work on the Anhinga Trail (0.8miles) so could only walk the first few hundred

yards which were alive with Plains Lubber Grasshoppers. These are very large and colourful with

beautiful markings and it was obviously the mating season! The other grasshoppers to be found here

are smaller and dark in colour. They are called Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers. We also managed to

see a baby alligator. All we saw down the Gumbo limbo trail (0.4miles) was a couple of toads! And

mozzies.

We went to Flamingo next, passing Rock Reef Pass at the dizzying height of 6 feet above sea level

and a few trails one of which was about 50m long. At Flamingo, we were really taken by the Ospreys

– not only were they numerous, they were also quite approachable. We booked a boat ride as it had

been recommended at the Visitors’ Centre but it was a bit of a dead loss really. These narrated boat

tours go along a man-made channel into West Lake. We saw a young Manatee  River Dolphins  a

Snowy egret, a Green heron and a Tri-coloured heron. The day was still relatively young so we had a

quick scout round the area and then retraced our steps stopping at Pa-hay-okee overlook,

Mahogany Hammock and Paurotis Pond. The first trail was 0.2 miles long and was just a view over

the Everglades. We had been told that at Mahogany Hammock we would feel like we were in

Jurassic Park, it was so authentic but we were a little underwhelmed. This was 0.4 miles long and is

described as a jungle-like island forest. We liked Paurotis Pond because there were lots of egrets,

herons, storks and Turkey vultures but the mozzies were a bit of a pain. As we drove past the

Visitors’Centre we stopped in amazement at the sight of the Nighthawks doing just that, hawking in

the twilight. Magic.

Tea was at Hibachi

The next day (Saturday)saw us at Shark Valley where we had booked a wet walk. We saw quite a lot

of dead crocodiles by the roadside as we travelled parallel to the canal on route 41. WE arrived too

early for the walk so had a bit of a walk round before we all grouped together ready for the walk in

the River Shark. We were walking through deeper water than we had been led to expect and in mud

which sucked your feet down or on limestone and the surface looked as though it was covered in

turds. It wasn’t long before I lost my footwear and landed in the water! Not much harm done except

to my pride but I elected to return to the path and Roland came with me. The others carried on but

did not enjoy themselves much or see anything interesting as we learned later. We were glad we

had turned back. There are only two short trails at Shark Valley: Bobcat Boardwalk (0.4miles) which

takes you through sawgrass marsh and a bayhead and Otter Cave (1.0m) which takes you through a

tropical hardwood hammock. Tram Road is 15miles long and when you get to the end, you just turn

round and come back again! There is a tram tour you can take or you can hire a bike. We stuck to

our own two feet and whilst we didn’t see much, we did enjoy the walk and the excellent views of

Anhingas plus we saw a crocodile or two. Next up was the Cooper airboat ride which lasted 40

minutes, was quite informative and saw us stuck in the tall grasses! Fortunately, one of the
Page 1 of 6
Page 2 of 6

passengers had a better idea of how to get unstuck than our driver. Not much to see but interesting.

We decided to pass on the 20 minute animal show, having seen the sad-looking crocodiles cooped

up in pens. The temperature was up to 98degrees by this time and after lunch we decided to go back

to the Everglades via Robert’s. Robert Is Here is a huge fruit and vegetable shop which also sells

home produce, milk shakes, smoothies etc. It’s rather expensive but very popular. The drinks are

fantastic, with a huge range of flavours. Well worth the queuing and just what you need when it’s

roasting hot! He has some bird houses where he claims that Purple Martins nest. That it is in fact the

southern limit for them but I would suggest that the Sparrows have taken over! We revisited some

of yesterday’s spots plus the trails and viewing points we hadn’t already been to (Pinelands, 0.4m,

and West Lake 0.4m). and were delighted to find White-crowned pigeons near Flamingo! Must

remember to tell Dave Gosney! The mozzies at the Eco Pond were pretty bad but we had great views

of Red-bellied woodpecker and also If you follow the road through the campsite you can get to

Florida Bay and whilst we were hoping to see more birdlife here we didn’t see anything new.

Pauratis Pond was quieter than the previous day which was a bit of a surprise as it is where the

egrets, herons etc roost though there was a very vocal juvenile Red-shouldered hawk who kept

posing for photos!. Still no sign of the Roseate spoonbill which was rumoured to be in the area

though we had kept stopping to look for it.

Tea was at the Golden Corrall and we had a quick walk round Wallmart before bed.

Sunday was the day I had been dreading for weeks. I was not a happy bunny when I discovered that

Roland intended part of this holiday to be devoted to snorkelling. Due to a very unfortunate incident

in Tobago where I nearly drowned, I had developed a distinct fear of the sea and, more specifically,

snorkelling. This time, however, I had my own snorkelling gear and prescription goggles. An absolute

necessity for someone short-sighted like me. I made the captain well aware of my fears and he was

great. I was able to get into the sea last, had my snorkelling jacket inflated and a noodle tucked

round me. He made sure I was ok when I got in the water, that my breathing was ok and made my

other half promise not to let go of my hand. And it was ok. It really was. And every time I looked up,

the captain was watching. He was a great chap and really looked after me. I can heartily recommend

Keys Diver(www.keysdiver.com) at Key Largo. We actually stopped in 3 different places, including

the Christ of the Abyss and I almost enjoyed myself ;).

We had tea in Key Largo – massive portions of fish and chips and then the heavens opened and we

had a right humdinger of a storm. Fantastic lightning show.

The “African Queen” of film fame is moored in Key Largo. It’s very small!

We got up at 5h30 on Monday to be at John Pennecamp Coral Reef State Park for 7. It was very

windy and the park wasn’t open when we arrived. We had to queue up and pay to go into the park

and of course when we got to the shop, we were told that the snorkelling had been cancelled

because of the weather. We were not exactly surprised and decided to have a look round the park

instead. We investigated the nearby trail but there were way too many mozzies so we went into the

aquarium then decided to make our way back towards the Everglades, stopping off en-route for a

“giant fish sandwich” for Roland. This turned out to be anything but giant so don’t fall for the ads!

We found the pigeons again round Flamingo and watched a huge turtle on the Anhinga Trail There

were also some Eastern lubber grasshoppers out today. Not quite as outrageous as the Plains ones

but still very nice. No baby alligator  No nighthawks.

Tea at Cracker Barrel which I really liked.

Tuesday,we moved to Marathon. The weather was awful when we got up – thundering and wet. It

continued to rain nearly all the way there. We visited the information centre and shop at our hotel

before leaving – the volunteers there are very friendly but didn’t know what a dollar coin was. They

claimed to have never seen one before and didn’t want to accept one in case they weren’t legal

tender. Weird. Obviously lead a very sheltered life. We stopped off at an Orchid Growers I had

spotted RF Orchids, it was called. The garden round the car park is really beautiful and a foretaste of

what you are going to see inside, We were greeted by the owner (Robert Fuchs) who offered us iced

lemonade before explaining the layout of the place and where we could or could not go. We were
Page 2 of 6
Page 3 of 6

then left on our own to explore and take photos. I was in seventh heaven because I love orchids and

am always buying them but today I couldn’t.  We had a really good look round then got chatting

to the owner who told us he exhibits at Chelsea every year. He then asked me what colour I liked

best and disappeared momentarily returning with a beautiful Japanese-style parasol whish he

presented to me. He then took us to his house next door to share his beautiful garden with us. There

are tours of it at the weekend but this was a weekday and we had our own little tour. Lovely man,

lovely place.

We had our lunch at Lazy Days in Islamadoro. Nice setting on the beach and a delicious massive

shrimp sandwich. We were kept entertained by the Red-winged blackbirds running about the area

presumably searching for crumbs and other titbits. The Double-crested cormorants perching on the

jetty were amazingly confiding. And the rain had stopped. We should have been going snorkelling

today with “Happy Cat” (www.robbies.com) but it had been cancelled because of the weather but

we went back to see if they had reconsidered given the change in the weather. They had but we

decided not to go because the visibility would have been poor. Secretly I was quite pleased because,

despite my success the other day, I was still frightened. We hung around for a while watching the

Brown pellies – very confiding because they are used to being fed by tourists and we also saw sharks

and pipefish in the shallows plus some rather splendid looking egrets. We decided to go to Long Key

State Park (6 dollars for a car with 2 passengers) and really enjoyed walking the Golden Orb and the

Layton Trails here as they took us through a variety of habitats and it just so nice, especially the

crabs who were out in force after the recent rain. The mozzies were too, of course, but they were

bearable. We even saw Golden orb spiders which are pretty impressive. I saw a snake and there

were lots of White ibis on the beach with strange coloration. This park was once the site of Henry

Flagler’s Long Key Fishing Camp. In the early 20th century, the fishing camp was a popular luxury

destination along Flagler's railroad for the rich and famous, as well as many of the world's great salt

water anglers of the time. The entire facility was destroyed during the Labour Day Hurricane of 1935

and never reopened. Today, people go fishing, snorkelling, kayaking, camping etc. Next we went to

check in at Tropical Cottages which did not quite live up to our expectations! These were glorified

trailers and a bit past their best plus you could hear everything that was going on in the adjoining

rooms. There was air-conditioning but the unit was in the bathroom, out of the ark and very noisy. It

did cover up the sound of the TV next door though. It transpired that the adults had gone out,

leaving the children on their own with the TV turned full up. We got them to turn it down but it was

on all night! The situation was not repeated. If you walked down to the end of the road you came to

the Gulf of Mexico which was nice. There were lots of birds in the trees including and Tufted titmice

which are so, so cute.

We had tea at the Keys Fisheries which everyone raved about. Probably more for its quirkiness than

the quality of its food. You order this at a hatch and it is delivered to you wherever you choose to sit

on the decking. Nice views across the harbour and ocean if you sit in the right spot and a beautiful

sunset to boot. The Red-winged blackbirds were out in force here too and there were signs up

asking you to “Feed the fish, not the birds”! Oh – mustn’t forget the Monitor Lizards! Saw loads of

them today by the roadside! Big nuisance, apparently as they are an introduced species and not

native. How often do we hear this complaint?

Nice lazy start to Wednesday with breakfast at the Wooden Spoon which has its interior walls

decorated with ... yes, you’ve guessed it, wooden spoons! I had yummy French toast with nuts and

fruit whilst his lordship opted for a chilli omelette with chips. Time for the snorkelling. Not as helpful

as the first lot and harder to get off the back of the boat. Freaked out at the first stop (Checco Rocks)

so got back on and practised my breathing but I was fine at the second spot (Lighthouse)where the

waves weren’t as big. Lynn had to rescue someone – he and his friends had hired a boat and were

doing their own thing. Not always a good idea. The sea was much calmer on our way back. Time for

the State Park again in the hopes of finding Key West quail dove, No sign of it, but plenty of Red

cardinals and less mozzies. Time for an ice-cream next – very nice it was too.
Page 3 of 6
Ann and Roland Go To Florida June 2016.pdf
Displaying Ann and Roland Go To Florida June 2016.pdf.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back