• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand Jan - March 2017 (1 Viewer)

David Roche

Two months of independent birding and travel covering the northern mountains and Chiang Saen, plus Keang Krachan, Pak Thale and the southern provinces of Surat Thani and Phang-Nga. 528 species in total, including 8 heard only.

An abundance of highlights but close views of Ferruginous Partridge and Grey Peacock Pheasant, 22 Woodpeckers (included four Banded together in one binocular view), Mangrove, Banded and Blue Pittas, Beach Thick-knee, Spoon-billed Sandpipers, Siberian Thrush and Firethroat are just some that stand out.

All done using public transport, plus a few handy lifts (Keang Krachan and Fang Hot springs) plus quite a bit of cycling. Calls and songs downloaded from Xeno Canto beforehand and committed to memory. No tape recordings used

Attachments

• Thailand 2016 (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 172
Breakdown of dates and locations:

Jan 21st - 25th Phetchaburi and Pak Thale

Jan Jan 26th - 28th Tha Ton

Jan 28th - Feb 1st Chiang Saen

Feb 1st - 3rd Tha Ton and Fang Hot Springs

Feb 3rd - 7th Doi Ang Kang

Feb 7th - 12th Chang Dao

Feb 13th Chang Mai

Feb 14th - 18th Doi Inthanon

Feb 19th - 22nd Khao Sok

Feb 22nd - 25th Khao Lak (Laem Pakarang) and Ao Phang Gna

Feb 26th - March 3rd Si Phang Gna

March 4th - 17th Keang Krachan

Great report - always good to see a report where someone does it themselves rather than simply pays for a guide to show them all the birds!

Great report - always good to see a report where someone does it themselves rather than simply pays for a guide to show them all the birds!

Still can't get over the tour group that walked away from a Great Slaty Woodpecker (after a full five minutes :eek!:) which virtually none of the clients had seen. Also the gentleman who, when I bothered to point out a Grey-rumped Treeswift to him, simply responded by a raise of the hand and the words "I have seen more than 5000 species of birds, that is very common"

Hence why I choose to do these things by myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back