• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7x42AWP (1 Viewer)

Jason4606

I currently have a Celestron Regal LS 10x50, and would like to compliment them with a new binoc with a Wider FOV. Low-light performance, light weight and waterproof are also important features.

The specs on the 7x42 AWP look great and the $185 price seems fantastic for waterproof, phase-coated roofs. But I can't find any reviews or local suppliers to take a first-hand look. Has anyone used these binocs? Can you give me some idea of how they stack up against others (especially any in the $200-$500 range)?

I've seen the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42 for $330, but the specs look nearly identical to the Canon. There are also 8x42 Docter binocs with nearly as good FOV for $400. I'm sure are a miriad of other good choices out there under $400, but I struggle with spending extra $$ without data to convince me why I should.

Thanks!
Jason

Hasn't anyone seen the Canon 7x42??

Nobody?? These seem like a potentially great deal. Surely someone has picked them up to check...

I'll keep my fingers crossed a little longer. Maybe I'll buy them and post my novice findings. Is anyone else interested?

Thanks!

Jason4606 said:
Nobody?? These seem like a potentially great deal. Surely someone has picked them up to check...

I'll keep my fingers crossed a little longer. Maybe I'll buy them and post my novice findings. Is anyone else interested?

Thanks!

Have a look at this thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=34645&highlight=canon+7x42
Please post your impressions if you buy them. I'm interested too !
Cheers
John

Last edited:
those Canon 7x42 have a field of view of 122 meters/1000 meters. That is outright dismal for 7x binoculars. They are not phase coated, and i suspect the view through them will be softish, slightly dim, and with plenty of color fringing. A waste of perfectly good $200, if you ask me.
Disclaimer: I have never looked through those binoculars. I will never look through those binoculars.

Last edited:
Jason4606 said:
I've seen the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42 for $330, but the specs look nearly identical to the Canon.

No, the 7x42 Discoverer does not have nearly identical specifications as the Canon. They have a field of view much wider (420 feet vs. 367 feet), are phase corrected, and have fully multicoated lenses. They are at least one step up compared to the Canon.

Better yet, try and see if you can find a Bausch and Lomb Discoverer 7x42, they look identical, but are better than the Bushnell.
See the link for a B&L version.
http://snipercountrypx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=2352

Last edited:
Otto, I'm really surprised at your reaction on this one since you admit you haven't actually looked through a pair. According to the Canon website the 7x42 is Phase Coated and also uses aspherical lenses (as you know this should mean more even illumination to the edge, flatter field and better edge sharpness). On this forum we often complain that manufacturers tend to make too many high power binoculars, especially in the lower price ranges. I think it's a good thing that a big brand like Canon has introduced a 7x. If I get the chance I'll try a pair and post my findings.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back