• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42 IS WP - focus past infinity limit? (1 Viewer)

etc

Greetings,

Can the Canon 10x42 IS WP accomodate about -6D of focus past infinity, so that it can be used without glasses?

Second question, how much eye relief does it have?

Greetings,

Can the Canon 10x42 IS WP accomodate about -6D of focus past infinity, so that it can be used without glasses?

Second question, how much eye relief does it have?

The Canon website states an eyerelief of 16 mm for the 10x42 IS WP.

Don't know about the focus past infinity.

Greetings, Ronald

I don't have exact information for the focus past infinity, but judging by the size of the diffraction pattern I can get with stars or distant light points when I focus the binocular to its limit past infinity, the Canon 10x42 IS L has considerably more than six diopters - my guess would be eight to ten. My reference for it is the Nikon 10x42 SE, which has about six and a half diopters +- on the right eyepiece, and if I focus the Nikon to its limit, I can just bring the right eyepiece to focus by twisting it to its limit. The Canon will focus well past the size of the diffraction pattern I can achieve with the Nikon, which in turn has considerably more focus travel than Leica models I have recently tested.

It would be useful if manufacturers would specify the focus limit for their binoculars, but they don't seem to consider it important enough.

Kimmo

My eyes are -6D, and when I tried a pair I had plenty of focus movement left at infinity - more than the 8x42 FL I ended up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back