• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers at Belvide? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Last year when I visited Belvide Reservoir a local birder said Grasshopper Warblers were breeding at Belvide.

Are these regular breeders as I wonder if it would be a reliable enough site to see my Grasshopper Warbler for this year?

Is the small woodland between the car park and the lake good for Wood Warbler too?

Hi Andrew,

Don't know about Belvide, but for Groppers in general, the earlier in the morning, the better, at & soon after dawn they often sing from exposed perches on the top of bushes. If you've someone with you who can hear them, so much the better, too. After about 9am, they usually tend to keep well hidden, particularly this late in the spring.

Michael

Thanks for the info, I have been to Belvide a few times as my brother lives a few miles away and it is the handiest place for birding. Pity it is a permit place. Sometimes you can wander around without a permit but that won't get you into the hides so a permit is always neccessary.

It gets my goat a wee bit as these Midlanders come down to Devon and don't need permits for our hides!

I have just got some good info on Groppers in Devon though so I may not need them by the time I get up there.

Andrew said:
Last year when I visited Belvide Reservoir a local birder said Grasshopper Warblers were breeding at Belvide.

Are these regular breeders as I wonder if it would be a reliable enough site to see my Grasshopper Warbler for this year?

Is the small woodland between the car park and the lake good for Wood Warbler too?

The best place for Grasshopper Warblers in the area nearish to Belvide at the moment is probably the Kingsbury Water Park area in North Warwickshire. There is an obliging pair singing from near the path to the SITA hide which I have SEEN very well on my last 5 evening visits. They will start to sing less now though as they settle to breed but there is a second singing period end of July/August.

Incidentally it has been a record year for these birds locally for me this year with 11+ reelers on my local patch instead of the usual 3 or 4. I think this has been reflected elsewhere in the Midlands at least.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back