• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon CE20-1 2X teleconverter (Nice) (1 Viewer)

Musoman said:
I would forget those magnifying eyepieces. They obscure the metering information in the viewfinder, and they have to be focused too, so you end up having to focus the scope and the eyepiece.

Having said that, they do flip up out of the way for viewing your metering, but you end up with too many things to do before you get your shot.

If you want to experiment with a magnifying eyepiece, get a fixed focus type, not a focusing type like the one you have you linked to

I didnt post a price How would you know if i was butchering, Al ?

How good was the image? Currently, I can't see that display due to some knocking of my camera, though I miss it initially, but not so much now. I am learning from Paul, go more for instinct judgement, all in manual mode. After a few shots, I would check on picture quality. I am using the 1.15X fixed magnifying EP now but not much improvement due to the little magnification. Do you have any link to any that you can recommend?

Oh, my apology. There's a link missing in my quote. That butchering was suppose to quote the link posted by Puteri on the Fujinon at $69.99 against Paul's 1Pound. LOL....

thornlv said:
Alphan, look for a KPS viewfinder eyepiece - I have one, 1.35x mag (makes a real difference) - whilst still being able to see the metering info, well made and comfortable.

At 1.35X, does it make a lot of difference when it comes to focusing? When I first clip on my Sony 1.15X, I did notice the slightly improvement and since I already have one on hand and free, I might as well use it. But with current development with TCs, I might need something of higher dose. But with higher magnification, will the VF gets darker too?

How good was the image?

The image was fine once you have the mag eyepiece focused, and the scope focused of course, but you can only see a portion of the image, not all of it.

I cant speak for other mag. eyepieces as i have only tried the 2.3x mag you posted about

At 1.35X, does it make a lot of difference when it comes to focusing? When I first clip on my Sony 1.15X, I did notice the slightly improvement and since I already have one on hand and free, I might as well use it. But with current development with TCs, I might need something of higher dose. But with higher magnification, will the VF gets darker too?

A fair bit of a difference, like going frrom aa 32" TV to a 42" TV. As I pointed out, still able to see the metering bar and, no, the viewfinder does not get darker.

As can be found here from oboy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KPS-UCC-Eyepi...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230b3e8d7d

Last edited:
Alph, if you want to try a mag. viewer, try Thorns 1.3x fixed focus style. Forget the 2.3x focusing mag. viewer. Its too much trouble

The image was fine once you have the mag eyepiece focused, and the scope focused of course, but you can only see a portion of the image, not all of it.

I cant speak for other mag. eyepieces as i have only tried the 2.3x mag you posted about

You mean you have to re-focus every time you flip the magnified down? I thought I just need to clip it on, flip it down and adjust focus on the magnified without having to disturb the diopter correction on the VF.

A fair bit of a difference, like going frrom aa 32" TV to a 42" TV. As I pointed out, still able to see the metering bar and, no, the viewfinder does not get darker.

As can be found here from oboy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KPS-UCC-Eyepi...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230b3e8d7d

Does the 42" comes in Full HD? I still remember the old days when we hook a fresnel lens kind of screen to make our 14" B&W tv to become 19" and you can guess the quality. LOL. Thanks for the link and sharing, thornlv and Musoman.

I made a 1.5X viewfinder magnifier by combining some old glass elements that I'd salvaged from teleconverters. I can see the whole viewfinder information and it doesn't need focusing. :t:

Paul.

You mean you have to re-focus every time you flip the magnified down? I thought I just need to clip it on, flip it down and adjust focus on the magnified without having to disturb the diopter correction on the VF.

I cant remember if you have to re-focus the mag viewer everytime you want to photgraph somethings different

But ts like having another a lens attached. You have to have Scope focused before you flip down the mag viewer, and then you focus the mag viewer, then you have to flip the mag viewer up if you want to see your metering information. As soon as you touch the mag viewer to flip it up out of the way, you'll find you may have slightly nudged it out of focus, so next time it will need re-focusing.

Your viewfinder diopter correction should only need to be set once, so in that case, the diopter correction shouldnt be an issue after its set once.

Like i said, if you want to try a mag viewer, get one of the fixed focus type, like thorns 1.3x or try what Paul has done with a lens element

Hi all, As I write this I await delivery, (from a slow boat from China ) of a 1.25x / 2.25x right angle viewer made by Seagull and will post again when I check it out.Cost £25. Chose 1.25x as reported to still be able to see entire viewfinder, and together with 2.5x as being a good mag. without being too high and awkward to use. Will use it on a recently purchased used Canon 10D (cost £104) but mostly for Macro work at present until fix and balance scope for extra weight of 10D.Tom

The seller that I purchased my two Fuji teleconverters from has another pair for sale this week. Anyone interested should go here.

Low starting price so you might get a bargain like I did.

Paul.

I made a 1.5X viewfinder magnifier by combining some old glass elements that I'd salvaged from teleconverters. I can see the whole viewfinder information and it doesn't need focusing. :t:

Paul.

Thanks for the tips. About time I dig out my Cosina rear groups of elements for some testing....B :)

I cant remember if you have to re-focus the mag viewer everytime you want to photgraph somethings different

But ts like having another a lens attached. You have to have Scope focused before you flip down the mag viewer, and then you focus the mag viewer, then you have to flip the mag viewer up if you want to see your metering information. As soon as you touch the mag viewer to flip it up out of the way, you'll find you may have slightly nudged it out of focus, so next time it will need re-focusing.

Your viewfinder diopter correction should only need to be set once, so in that case, the diopter correction shouldnt be an issue after its set once.

Like i said, if you want to try a mag viewer, get one of the fixed focus type, like thorns 1.3x or try what Paul has done with a lens element

Now I understand. It's the position of the magnifier seated after every flip down that needs adjustment. That is the thing sellers never mention...

Hi all, As I write this I await delivery, (from a slow boat from China ) of a 1.25x / 2.25x right angle viewer made by Seagull and will post again when I check it out.Cost £25. Chose 1.25x as reported to still be able to see entire viewfinder, and together with 2.5x as being a good mag. without being too high and awkward to use. Will use it on a recently purchased used Canon 10D (cost £104) but mostly for Macro work at present until fix and balance scope for extra weight of 10D.Tom

Tom, that one also have it's share of disadvantages. Every time you change the magnification, you need to readjust the focusing.

Tom, that one also have it's share of disadvantages. Every time you change the magnification, you need to readjust the focusing.

I am happy to accept this for the benefit of the two seperate magnifications. I can mark the diopter adjustment wheel with the two seperate positions and just dial in as needed (hopefully).....we`ll see ! Tom

I am happy to accept this for the benefit of the two seperate magnifications. I can mark the diopter adjustment wheel with the two seperate positions and just dial in as needed (hopefully).....we`ll see ! Tom

Great. Tom, let us know how it turn out to be with th marking. This magnifier do gets a high rating except for the re-focusing. If that method is consistent, then it's worth the buy.

Just to make note I shall be bidding on the Fujinon TCs

Good luck.... I had wanted to asked you if you are interested to share this item but then all the hassle of reshipment and by the time I got it, it may be history again. My first bid on the Vivitar 70-210 have yet to arrive...LOL. So just bid and share the results...

Paul.

Paul, I only have 4 elements (smaller ones) from my dismantled Cosina (my Vivitar is still on the way), 3 convex and one concave glasses and non of them either in single, two, three or 4 combined give any magnification. Only the concave with a convex manage to focus but in negative magnification. Can you still recall your setup in what combination and what lens you use? Thanks.

Paul, I only have 4 elements (smaller ones) from my dismantled Cosina (my Vivitar is still on the way), 3 convex and one concave glasses and non of them either in single, two, three or 4 combined give any magnification. Only the concave with a convex manage to focus but in negative magnification. Can you still recall your setup in what combination and what lens you use? Thanks.

I can't remember exactly what elements I used and I've tried to remake it since and couldn't come up with the same combination, I've got so many bits of glass to choose from lol. I'm 99% certain that one of the elements was a 25mm diameter objective from a small pair of binoculars and the other elements came from an old teleconverter.

Paul.

Have won a couple of the Fujinon's off ebay - 99p !!. Trying to figure the best way to mount them so I wonder Paul if you could post a pic of your moounting for ideas.

Cheers.

Vic

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back