• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird feeder (1 Viewer)

ManakusCR

Hi all, I got a feeder for hummers a week ago and havent had a visit yet, I am currently using 4 parts water an 1 part table sugar, is there any particular location/factor to keep in mind for hanging the feeder, or even something to do to get them acclimatized to it? I live in Costa Rica where thees beauties are fairly common, near by there're rufous tailed hummingbird, blue throated golden tail, purple crowned fairy, violet headed wood nymph, and others.

Thankyou for your help
Johan

Hi Johan, your sugar to water ratio is good. Sometimes it takes the hummingbirds a couple of weeks to find a new feeder. Just make sure to keep changing it out about every 3 days or so, or sooner if you see the water looking cloudy. You'll have them buzzing around soon.

I hang a red ribbon near the feeders, I read that somewhere and I also hang a prism near them, was told and read they are atracted to both off them, its worked for me every spring.

The main concerns are bushes, water and squirrels. Hummers like bushes and creeks, Make sure you rig a place where the local squirrels won't tear the thing up chewing holes to drink all the sugar-water.
Where I am, multiple small feeders work much better than one large feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back