• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (5 Viewers)

My red letters this weekend were painted in butterfleis - found two species that were my personal firsts in Lithuania. For this garden list though, one addition - on territory, one singing Icterine Warbler

108. Icterine Warbler

Cold, windy, rainy with thunder and lightning today, but when it stopped this evening some Swifts appeared (there was still cloud in the valley below) and with them at least one:

70 House Martin

somewhat overdue really as they nest in the village just 2kms away!

Cold, windy, rainy with thunder and lightning today, but when it stopped this evening some Swifts appeared (there was still cloud in the valley below) and with them at least one:

70 House Martin

somewhat overdue really as they nest in the village just 2kms away!

You've surged ahead Richard....by one! A quick look at my last year's dates, and I had to wait until 22nd Sep.to arrive at 70. :eek!:

#48. Wryneck - Heard only this time. Last year one Wryneck was checking my nestboxes but decided to nest somewhere else.

I'm way behind when you compare to last year, when I got 53 at late May. Spring was so cold that I did'n spent much time on garden. :-C

SNAP Wari! Having heard none in the late April arrival period I also heard a

71 Wryneck
this morning, it was a bit distant but surely not calling to me from Finland, so I'm sticking to the 2 bird theory;)

SNAP Wari! Having heard none in the late April arrival period I also heard a

71 Wryneck
this morning, it was a bit distant but surely not calling to me from Finland, so I'm sticking to the 2 bird theory;)

Great sound to break the status quo - I always think they sound cheeky.

I'm after one in the autumn/winter.....

Dusk last night - full moon & clear - & a

53 : Woodcock

flew by. Good to know they are probably breeding nearby.

Edit: First thing this morning and two

54 : Curlew

flying by - two excellent additions in short succession!

Last edited:
Male Tawny Owl calling from the hedge at 9.30am, followed by my 3rd!!! flyover Common Tern of the year (less than annual)......then a flyover gratefully received Pied Wagtail (also less than annual)..no.70.

...and now followed by at (1.35pm) a flyover Turtle Dove! only 3 records in 34 years no.71. :eek!:

Last edited:
Ah, you Finns are good at communications it's true, as that old Welsh rocker Dave Edmunds used to sing: ' I hear you Nokia-ing, but you can't come in'.;)

64. Great Crested Flycatcher. A pair have been around for a couple of weeks now, very vocal. Wondering if they are setting up a nest nearby.

65. Barn Swallow. A flyover yesterday, and a brand new bird for my garden list.

This takes me to 95 total, in the nearly 4 years at this address. My green list (snowshoe/kayak/bike/walk from home) stands at 140, so still plenty nearby that can wander my way.

It seems you lot have been asleep while I've been in Devon for a week. Here's the wake up call:

55: Redpoll (one over unseen calling)
56: CROSSBILL (one in the opposite direction - seen & heard)

Oh, btw - we're not counting Feral Pigeon, right?

I've managed to struggle past 50 with a flyover Mallard back in May and this week a group of four Oystercatchers have made a couple Passes. Rare to get a wader from here. 51 total.

I definitely don't count feral pigeons, I've yet to see one here in nearly 40 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back