• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon or Canon? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I was looking to get a less expensive pair of binoculars to carry around. If a person didn't care too much about them being waterproof what would be better optically between these two. Nikon Monarch 8x42mm or a Canon 10x30mm IS. I can get them for about the same price. Thanks!

Dennis

The 10x30 sounds like a fairly narrow field. The Nikon Sporters come in both 8x36 and 10x36, so you can compare two similar ones. There may be some difference in waterproofness to your models. But I've had my Sporters in light rain, no problems.

If shaky hands are an issue, sure, why not IS?

I have looked at Monarchs and there are lots of reviews even here. They seemed like a big brother to Sporters to me. The Sporters will focus down to about 3-4m, 10 feet.

Read more by Otto
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=37804

Last edited:
I was looking to get a less expensive pair of binoculars to carry around. If a person didn't care too much about them being waterproof what would be better optically between these two. Nikon Monarch 8x42mm or a Canon 10x30mm IS. I can get them for about the same price. Thanks!

Dennis

I am a real convert when it comes to IS binoculars - for me, the stabilization makes a big difference in how much detail I can see. I have used the 10x30s and they are quite nice. Most of my birding is now done with a pair of 12x36s.

If at all possible, it is well worth trying the two. That's really the only way to find out which is right for you. The 8x42s have better eye relief, better close focus, and a somewhat wider field. You'll probably find the 4mm exit pupil a bit more user friendly than the 3mm exit pupil, and it will provide somewhat better low light performance. (Of course, our eye is pretty lousy in low light anyway <g>.)

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back