• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

starting up? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hi,

I was just wondering could anyone tell me how much it might cost to get all the gear to be able to take and sell good quality a3 size prints of birds or wildlife.
I am assuming you would need a digital slr, lense(s), teleconverter, tripod, printer (do people print there own or send them away to have them printed professionally?), rucksack, etc.

A ball park figure would be fine.

Thanks very much
Pete.

Hi Pete,

Well, it depends on which DSLR you choose and the lenses. If you go for the new Canon 10D, then the body alone goes for $1,500 (U.S.). You are right, for good quality A3 prints, you do want a DSLR. The 10D is very highly rated. The Canon D60 and Nikon equivalent (can't remember the number), each body is between $1,770-$2,000 (U.S.). Figure another $150 for batteries and car charger (assuming you want more than one battery, this will give you three, at least). Then of course the media cards, depending on what you already have. You will want a minimum of 512 mb of storage, 1 gig is preferable (not necessarily all just in one card). Then comes the most expensive part, the lenses. If you can get close enough for a good shot of bird with a 100-300, or 400mm lens, then you can spend anywhere from $500 to $2,500. I highly recommend you get IS (image stabilization), where available. You WILL notice a difference. However, to do it right (my definition) you really need the big 600mm IS lens, and that goes for $7,500. All prices are new equipment. So, in the end, figure a ballpark figure (adding the 600IS lens) at about $10,000. Without the lens, figure on a ballpark of $5,000 (this is with the 400mm IS lens).

If you are talking about selling, then I recommend only print them professionally. However, I would recommend a good printer to print up test shots first, remembering they will only be magnified when done professionally. I have the HP 1100 (only about $150 U.S. now), it prints very well. When I print it up and notice noise, speckles, blurriness, CA, etc., I know I better take care of it because it will stand out like a sore thumb when printed up professionally. Mind you, my camera is only 2.6 mp, but I have found it very useful to do this. You can see why I have not upgraded by the $10,000 price to "do it right." But, I have definitely looked into it more than once.

Oops, almost forgot the tripod. Plan on spending anywhere between $200-$600 for a worthy tripod and head. I have a Manfrotto, wouldn't be without it.

Hi Bcurrie,

Thanks for your help.
£10-20,000 was the amount i was expecting.
Just need a solid business case for the bank manager now :))

Which is the most lucrative, selling your pictures to publications
or selling pictures straight to people?
(I Suppose I better pretend to him I know what I'm talking about)

Thanks again
Pete.

Pete,

Well, you can make good money both ways. However, keep in mind that people are not going to want to purchase your photos(i.e., read magazine) if they are not acquainted with your work. Most people go through a lot of rejection before they are finally picked up (for a deal). Or if you display your photos, odds are favorable that you will have to sell them for less if you are not known. People will buy an Ansel Adams (for some reason that last name does not look right) sight unseen.

So, you are going to have to really market yourself. There are numerous ways to do this, but the primary objective is to get your photos out there. This does mean getting them out there for free. First you want to be recognized in your community, and then keep aiming the geographic goal larger and larger. However, in the meantime do not hesitate to submit photos to national publications. It is possible to get lucky and be published from an unsolicited submission. Just be sure that you make sure they take unsolicited photos. The last thing you want is to rub a decision maker the wrong way. Just remember, don't bank on being successful. Lead your life (career wise) as you have expected to do so until you learn otherwise. Most photographers never make it big. Also remember that there is a hidden caveat in this, if your are successful, now your hobby has become work. Not the easiest of transitions, especially if you MUST depend on it for your financial well-being.

Good luck, let me know what you decide.

peteee23 said:

£10-20,000 was the amount i was expecting.
Just need a solid business case for the bank manager now :))

Which is the most lucrative, selling your pictures to publications
or selling pictures straight to people?
(I Suppose I better pretend to him I know what I'm talking about)

Pete.

From personal experience (and feedback from pro's), there is far more money in sales to publishers and, in particular, commercial useage. Very little to be made from unmounted print sales (ask the guys at the birdfairs!), if you're selling framed prints you have to consider the expense of framimng and mounting. Try doing limited edition sets.
Ideally you will get a comprehensive collection of stock images and get an image library to sell them for you, though they are still reluctant to deal with digital.
Getingt your name known is the key... a web presence helps these days.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back