• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a turnstone? (Titchwell, UK) (1 Viewer)

MikeEvans

Owner of a pink ED50, and proud of it!!
forgive the appalling picture, first time digiscoping (Nikon ED82A + Canon S80)

Attachments

• is this a turnstone.jpg
    is this a turnstone.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 238
MikeEvans said:
forgive the appalling picture, first time digiscoping (Nikon ED82A + Canon S80)
no. . this is a turnstone.

Attachments

• turnstone november 20052.jpg
    turnstone november 20052.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 144
some more pics

Thanks for the responses,

I did get a couple more (even worse!) shots, it was the shortness of the bill and the short orange legs that made me think turnstone, rather than ruff. What is it that I should have been looking for?

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 118
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 135
MikeEvans said:
Thanks for the responses,

I did get a couple more (even worse!) shots, it was the shortness of the bill and the short orange legs that made me think turnstone, rather than ruff. What is it that I should have been looking for?
as the photo shows they are a lot darker. the wings and back are motled brown and black. breast is white. a really short bill. they tend to run along the strand line flipping stones over, very busy birds. good luck seeing them. they are great to watch. i,m trying to find a ruff we should swap sites!

Mike
Male ruff are a good deal larger than females. The size difference is really apparent when you see a large mixed group of ruff. The difference is such that for novice wader watchers they can think they are watching 2 different species, I did for quite a while, until I went on a couple of wader recognition walks at Blacktoft.
With female ruff, the head always seem to look too small for the body. The base of the bill may have the white patch as seen on your photo, but sometimes there isn't the patch. They always seem to give the impression of being badly dressed, the plumage seems loose-fitting and individual feathers will be moved by stray gusts of wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back