• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying Before Buying (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

Whenever choice of scopes is the subject,the informed opinion is to try them out before buying.
Does anyone know where this is possible?
I was at Slimbridge and London Wetland Centre recently and none of the 'top-range'scopes were available at the resident 'IN Focus' shops.
I was told that this would be the case wherever I tried and to wait for the Bird Fair at Rutland later in the year.

In Focus are a company that concentrates on selling a very small selection of birding optics.... the fact that they dominate visitor centres and Birdfairs is, imho, detrimental to the the bino/scope buying public. Many other companies carry a far greater range.

The BBWF at Rutland will see the manufacturers displaying and a chance to look through them all. Companies that carry a good range (and won't push one brand at you) are ACE optics in Bath (where you can try out the scopes, albeit at a stuffed Owl in a church tower). I'm sure there are other good companies that will let you try out a variety of brands.... Focus Optics, Focal Point.

Focus Optics usually have a good selection and London Camera Exchange will take any particular models you wish to look at to their field days (providing they sell them).
As for In-Focus, I've never found them to be less than unhelpful/uninterested at best (possibly a double negative, but you know what I mean) and would take anything they say with an extremely large pinch of salt!
There will be lots of scopes on show at the birdfair (and big queues to see them as well) but I've always found prices a bit high/firm compared with a quiet time in a shop.

InFocus are spinning you a line. One serious problem with InFocus is that they do not stock Leica. If you are in the market for a quality item, the idea of not even trying a Leica is absurd. However I have always found one of the staff at the Barnes branch very very helpful. The other one was not helpful.

Ace Optics in Bath have an excellent range and prices, and they do not push items. Testing is outside in the street! I do get the suspicion that Kay Optical push some items (higher margin?) but I might be wrong. I believe the RSPB sell optics at their Sandy Beds reserve though I seem to think they are often rather pricey. Of course you could ask before hand if they will price match. You never know. London Camera Exchange often have a good range in stock (depends on the branch) and viewing facilities are not so hot i.e. stand outside the shop and look down the street. Nick-on mentions about field days which sounds a good idea.

As for myself, I will probably head off to Ace Optics in Bath next time I feel my wallet is too heavy. I like the lack of any sales push. And Bath is a nice place to visit, though I usually rush off to play with the new toy!

(BTW I have no connection with any shop mentioned.)

Last edited:
Find a retailer who stocks all the top makes and has viewing facilities and spend time comparing.

Do your home work prior to setting off so you have an idea of the the price you may pay.

Let the dealer know you have done some home work (most will not try to pull the wool but you never can tell).

Best of luck.

TTFN

Thanks very much to all for responding,I am much the wiser now and will make contact with the Firms mentioned.It is a bit worrying that the In Focus man said it was a nationwide problem and not confined to his Company!
Andy's comment about the stuffed owl in a church tower reminded me that it was a wonder that I purchased binoculars that were any good.A year or so ago,I found out that Harrods were the nearest store to me that stocked all the major brands and went there to have a test.
They were in the Photography department on the Lower Ground Floor and so I made my choice under fluorescent lighting,whilst focussing on a crystal figurine of a swan in the adjoining Gifts department!

Has anybody tried Cley Spy Glandford nr Cley Norfolk.

They carry a good range of mid price and top of the range optics. Are more than happy to let you try them out outside (its a farm or was) so there are a few birds about. They have an indoor viewing poster (sorry there is a name for it but can't remember).

I have found the staff more than helpful and even got a reasonable trade in price (baush & lomb for swarovski).

They also do astro scopes and its only a few miles from Cley Marsh what more do you want.

Sorry to go on a bit but I have found them excellent and no I don't work for them.

Peter

HI Peter - I too have no connection with Cley Spy but can vouch for the excellent service - no pushiness whatsoever - I went a few times trying different bins before choosing my Leica's. They ahve a good selection of second hand stuff too. They are not the cheapest but by no means the most expensive either. I would use them again. They stock all of the main ranges and all variations so no 'not getting quite what you wanted'.

I realise this is an oldish thread - but have been reading my way through some and wanted to add my vote of aprroval for Cley Spy.

Last year I wanted to upgrade my scope and spent a lot of time (on a few different occasions) looking through a wide range of scopes. The staff were always very helpful and in no way tried to push me into making a purchase. I ended up getting the Opticron ES80 and have been very happy with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back