• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Spent 8 and a half hours on the reserve today.
MOORS:
The weather began with heavy rain increasing the Moors level by another inch since Tuesday that's 7 in 7 days. Then late morning the sun came out and birds disappeared well the snipe and jacks did at least.
There has been an exodus of more dabbling duck, birds probably moving to nearby flood plains, hopefully they will return when the floods subside. The snipe again responded to the rain , by feeding in the open on snipe island and the promontory where a Jack performed for a while early on. By mid afternoon a large flock of geese and ducks grazed the SW marsh, maintaining the hope that a grazing lawn will soon develop. At one point the seasonal pool held 100+ duck, mostly mallard with 25 teal.
Species count: Little egret, GCG 2, little grebe 4, cormorant 26, greylag 34, mute swan pr + juv, shoveler 40, teal 65, NO PINTAIL...(must have been a record stay? over to you Phi). Mallard 150, pochard 3, tufted 15, coot 275, water rail several calling, Kestrel, buzzard 2, sparrowhawk, Snipe 72 (with certainly more hiding in the long grass), Jack snipe, lapwing 180, curlew 12, BHG 220, LBBG few, herring gull, green woodpecker, kingfisher, mistle thrush 3, fieldfare 8, redwing 12, goldfinch 60+, cettis w 3,

While I was walking along the flooded Salwarp trail , I heard at least 3 water rails calling from the North end of the Education reserve.

Last edited:
FLASHES:
I arrived at 3pm, not long after the survey had finished. Very little was on show, but soon shoveler , lapwing and BHG's started to arrive. Here the water had risen by 3cm since Tuesday and stood at 0.47 with water flowing over the sluice spillway. Very little muddy shoreline remained, but the lapwing and curlew flocks were feeding in the 'Meadow's boggy hollows. The roosting flocks were much reduced, with the starling and pied wagtail pre-gathering disappearing without a hint of where they roosted. We have noticed that in November the gull roost declines, as birds move to the larger water bodies. However if we have frost free days there is usually a gull roost albeit in small numbers. And contrary to popular belief, the saline lagoons will freeze quite easily during frost nights, at which point the roost will disintegrate.
species counts: Little grebe - 3rd Flash, shoveler 18, teal 10+, mallard 80, greylag 31, canadas 120, coot 16, water rail 2, moorhen 40, snipe 2, green sand 2 arrived 5pm, curlew 13, lapwing 211, BHG 350, herring gull 2, LBBG 12, jackdaw 340, redwing 15, song thrush singing, igrey wag, pied wag 15, starling 20,

Sailing Pool: GCG 1, tufted 2, coot 7, common gull - 1st winter,

Spent 8 and a half hours on the reserve today.
MOORS:
The weather began with heavy rain increasing the Moors level by another inch since Tuesday that's 7 in 7 days. Then late morning the sun came out and birds disappeared well the snipe and jacks did at least.
There has been an exodus of more dabbling duck, birds probably moving to nearby flood plains, hopefully they will return when the floods subside. The snipe again responded to the rain , by feeding in the open on snipe island and the promontory where a Jack performed for a while early on. By mid afternoon a large flock of geese and ducks grazed the SW marsh, maintaining the hope that a grazing lawn will soon develop. At one point the seasonal pool held 100+ duck, mostly mallard with 25 teal.
Species count: Little egret, GCG 2, little grebe 4, cormorant 26, greylag 34, mute swan pr + juv, shoveler 40, teal 65, NO PINTAIL...(must have been a record stay? over to you Phi). Mallard 150, pochard 3, tufted 15, coot 275, water rail several calling, Kestrel, buzzard 2, sparrowhawk, Snipe 72 (with certainly more hiding in the long grass), Jack snipe, lapwing 180, curlew 12, BHG 220, LBBG few, herring gull, green woodpecker, kingfisher, mistle thrush 3, fieldfare 8, redwing 12, goldfinch 60+, cettis w 3,

After you had gone to the flashes Andy Spoonbill finder found the drake
pintail then shortly afterwards a female pintail turned up.
Phil

This coming Tuesday 18th November at Moors

This from Andy Harris at the Worcestershire WildlifeTrust
Regarding visits by groups,

The education team will be bringing young Bromsgrove school children to the Moors on Tuesday 18th November and will be using the Arthur Jacobs hide and concrete hide. Not the best day to choose I know. Paul will be arranging the volunteer work party to avoid working in and around those hides so they can see the birds.

4 minibuses will drop off the children at 930.

They will also be making bird boxes at Lifestyles.

I have taken no other booking for rest of 2014, but have several lined up for spring 2015.

With the weekly Work Party team also present, this will result in the car park being full all morning. Most Members are by now aware of the Tuesday work parties, but for those who are not, sorry for any inconvenience if you are planning a visit.
B :)John

Has anyone found out what was going on in the North Moors on Thursday as I said in a previous comment it was blocked off at around 10.30 and could hear chainsaws being used and other machinery.

A few photos in the afternoon gloom at The Moors.

1. Kingfisher in flight
2. Kingfisher not on a stick :eek!:
3. Kestrel
4. Part of a flock of Curlew in field

Attachments

• Kingfisher in flight.jpg
    Kingfisher in flight.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Kingfisher not on a stick comp.jpg
    Kingfisher not on a stick comp.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Kestrel.jpg
    Kestrel.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Curlew in field comp.jpg
    Curlew in field comp.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 89
Has anyone found out what was going on in the North Moors on Thursday as I said in a previous comment it was blocked off at around 10.30 and could hear chainsaws being used and other machinery.

The work in the North Moors. This was the on going 'thinning' of the platation. Non native sycamores were chopped down and treated. This will allow the flora to improve and also allow scrub species to get a foothold.

A relatively quiet morning that saw increased water levels and decreased numbers of duck. Starting at the Moors Pools it was fairly quiet around the North Moors, up to five Robins being the most noticeable... other than the felled trees. Has someone been round with a chainsaw? ;)
On the Moors the lack of Pintail and Wigeon was disappointing, not really compensated for by the presence of two Shelduck. A Chiffchaff in the elders on the Hook was surprising given that I haven't seen one at Upton for nearly two months. A Kingfisher was almost ever-present , Water Rails called, Cetti's Warblers sang - did I say it was quiet? Detailed counts were Mute Swan 2 ad, I juv, Mallard 70, Teal 41, Shoveler 36, Pochrd 3, Tufted Duck 18, Great Crested Grebe 1, Little Grebe 5, Coot 195, Cormorant 17, Grey Heron 1, Lapwing 42, Snipe 44. A male Kestrel was seen a couple of times around the east hide. Both Canada and Greylag Geese dropped in whilst I was in the Education Reserve, so no counts of those. In the ER there were 15+ Redwing with similar numbers of Blackbirds. A Chiffchaff was calling in the corner behind the garage and it (or another?) was seen along the main path a little later. So probably two on the reserve today? The Sailing Pool held 3 Great Crested Grebe, 7 Mallard, 5 Coot and 2 Tufted Duck. On the Flashes a female Blackcap was by the Hen Brook bridge, 3 Grey Wagtails were around the sluice outflow channel and a couple of Ravens flew over. From the tower hide there was little on show other than Moorhens 34, Lapwing 83 and Teal 6. At least one Moorhen had been taken by one of the two Buzzards present in the sewage works field, the other had an unidentified prey item and both were on the ground along the north-east fence-line. The small Linnet flock to the left of the hide suddenly grew to at least 70, probably nearer 80, all feeding in the short vegetation. With nothing else on show I headed back to the feeding station hide to see if anything had found the seed I'd put out on my way down. It hadn't.

PICS FROM YESTERDAY
1. the planning application for the North Moors
2 and 3 The water rail in the 'Hook'
original and a cropped version

Attachments

• for forumDSCF3337.jpg
    for forumDSCF3337.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 154
  • resizeDSCF3335.jpg
    resizeDSCF3335.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 76
  • AAcroppedDSCF3335.jpg
    AAcroppedDSCF3335.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 114
The flooded river Salwarp yesterday

pics
1. along trail by opposite education reserve
2. a bit further towards swan inn, showing bridge and large pollarded willow.
3. Log jam...100's of plastic bottles trappped
4. giant pollard at least 5 feet diameter

Attachments

• 1.the flooded salwarpDSCF3351.jpg
    1.the flooded salwarpDSCF3351.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.flooded sal and giant pollrd willow DSCF3349.jpg
    2.flooded sal and giant pollrd willow DSCF3349.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 3. log jamDSCF3363.jpg
    3. log jamDSCF3363.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 4. giant pollard 5 foot acrossDSCF3374.jpg
    4. giant pollard 5 foot acrossDSCF3374.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 106
This from Andy Harris at the Worcestershire WildlifeTrust
Regarding visits by groups,

The education team will be bringing young Bromsgrove school children to the Moors on Tuesday 18th November and will be using the Arthur Jacobs hide and concrete hide. Not the best day to choose I know. Paul will be arranging the volunteer work party to avoid working in and around those hides so they can see the birds.

4 minibuses will drop off the children at 930.

They will also be making bird boxes at Lifestyles.

I have taken no other booking for rest of 2014, but have several lined up for spring 2015.

With the weekly Work Party team also present, this will result in the car park being full all morning. Most Members are by now aware of the Tuesday work parties, but for those who are not, sorry for any inconvenience if you are planning a visit.
B :)John

I was talking the the 2 ladies doing a 'recce' for the visit on Wednesday and they were aware that there was a work party and were quite looking forward to the birds being flushed over towards their hides. Anyway what better way to see nature conservation in action than to see how the flora and hedgerow are managed and have it explained as to why its managed in such ways.

Dave J this morning noted:

Moors Pool - Quiet. Chiffchaff, 100+ Fieldfare, 7 Meadow Pipit, 4 Pochard, 2 Shelduck
Nothing of note at the Flashes.

I was talking the the 2 ladies doing a 'recce' for the visit on Wednesday and they were aware that there was a work party and were quite looking forward to the birds being flushed over towards their hides. Anyway what better way to see nature conservation in action than to see how the flora and hedgerow are managed and have it explained as to why its managed in such ways.

Cheers for that Rob. The school visited last year on a Tuesday and we were cutting reeds and pollarding willows. Like you say, although they were quite young , the children were asking poignant questions about the management and the teachers gave them good answers.
We intend doing a similar thing this Tuesday. The 3rd year of the 3 year rotational reed cutting will be carried out, with more willow coppicing/pollarding also being tackled.
B :)

Had a good session on the reserve today. Nothing outstanding, but we saw a female blackcap. We also had 3 nuthatches. I thought it seemed like a long time since I had seen nuthatch here. It turns out that it is 2 days short of 25 years!

Had a good session on the reserve today. Nothing outstanding, but we saw a female blackcap. We also had 3 nuthatches. I thought it seemed like a long time since I had seen nuthatch here. It turns out that it is 2 days short of 25 years!

Hi Dave
nice to get you back on the reserve. Where did you see them, my guess along the east track by the barn conversion gardens.B :)John
The last time I saw multi sightings of this species was when they bred in the dead Oak tree by the east hide.

Today's Nuthatches inch the November list to 81 just over half way through the month. Potential additions with varying degrees of probability include (year ticks in bold) Barnacle Goose, Goldeneye, Scaup, Mandarin Duck, Bittern, Red Kite, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Golden Plover, Grey Plover, Woodcock, Med Gull, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Rock Pipit, Water Pipit, Stonechat, Coal Tit, Brambling, Mealy Redpoll

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back