• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your replies, Frank and John. It seems I may be perpetuating rumour and myth ;). I guess the key is, the Meopta Meostar bins seem to be excellent. I tried the 10x42 recently. Optically, they were exceptional. There was a real 'wow' factor to them. Unfortunately, the weight was prohibitive for me (as was the price). I may yet be tempted to get the 8x32s though in the new year...
All the best
Hobbes

I may yet be tempted to get the 8x32s though in the new year...

That would be a very good choice.
At the bird festival in Bochum in August the Swarovski stand was next to the Meopta importer and I was able to compare the 8x32 Meostar with the 8x30 CL.
The CL is a neat little package but the Meostar is very much the superior bin and at a slightly lower price too.

John

Last edited:
Just wondering if the same amount of workmanship has gone into the CL's compared to the SLC's. Whay are they that much cheaper?
Thanks
Nobby

Probably because they are easier now to manufacture and keep waterproof than the 8 x 30 SLC. The 8 x 30 SLC is a very old design that Swarovski has had around for darn near forever! The Focusing wheel is up in front of the bridge and you have to use your ring finger to focus. And they focus by moving the objective lenses so they need a protective plate in front of the objectives to stay waterproof. The FOV of the CL is narrower too. They might use less expensive oculars.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back