• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Peru DIY Planning (1 Viewer)

Oh! I guess I'll need to clear my PM box sometime. I had just logged in to give a quick report!

I'm in Tarapoto now, flying back to Lima tonight having finished the northern part of my trip. Like you I've found the birding to be quite challenging - I suspect I've missed at least half my targets including perhaps more than half of the endemics (I don't care to do the math, it would just be depressing!). Most painful dip was Pale-billed Antpitta, heard-only despite a grueling, steep 15-mile hike (which turned out to be way overboard, local knowledge would have been key at this site!) including having to walk almost all the way back to Pomacochas from San Lorenzo before I picked up a lift.

But let's focus on the good - White-browed Antbird, Slaty-backed Forest-Falcon, and Rufous-crested Coquette at Wakanki, easy time with Marvelous Spatuetail including getting to see the male 4 times, Ochre-fronted and Rusty-tinged Antpittas at FAN, Cinnamon Screech-Owl, also Long-whiskered Owlet although views were not great - it was directly above us so I really only saw the bottom half, not the face! FAN was incredibly quiet but relentless effort turned up a few things, White-faced Solitaire, Inca Flycatcher, Uniform Antshrike, and Royal Sunangel. Pretty good at the Cordillera Escalera this morning despite morning fog, walking from the tunnel, had many mixed flocks and got great looks at lifer Curl-crested Aracari, and the Koepcke's Hermit was cooperative at the feeders. The guide took me to see a roosting Long-tailed Potoo. Very quiet at the waterfalls, no sign of pewees or any songbirds for that matter, but while I was waiting for a lift the White-collared and White-tipped Swifts put on an incredible show.

I'll eventually get around to writing a proper trip report with plenty of details - the good, the bad, and photos. Off Paracas tomorrow!

Most painful dip was Pale-billed Antpitta, heard-only despite a grueling, steep 15-mile hike (which turned out to be way overboard, local knowledge would have been key at this site!)
That's a shame – you should have checked observado where I put in an exact location. A reminder for all others to use this resource as well.

Our trip is going pretty well (I've seen 321 species so far in 9 days) though as you say birding is pretty challenging. Highlights include Plumbeous Euphonia yesterday on ridge after tunnel; Slaty Finch, Johnson's Tody-Tyrant and Chestnut Antpitta at Owlet Lodge; Zone-tailed Hawk, Marañon Crescentchest and Marañon Spinetail at Last Juntas; Long-whiskered Owlet, Royal Sunangel, Cinnamon Screech Owl and both Antpittas at FAN.

Also, it is not currently possible to drive to Quebrada Limon in a hire car. We were forced to abandon and arrange a truck for next day where we got thoroughly ripped off but had little choice. Was great birding when we got there including Guans, Whooping Motmot & One-coloured Becard. All my lists are on ebird if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to your reports Abby and Simmo, especially as I don't think it's worth me writing one except to keep a personal record, and to put people off trying to do Peru with a young child, not enough prep, and not using playback! Just come up from the bottom of Manu rd, where did pretty badly. Chuffed with great views of Pale-winged Trumpeter though, and shouldn't grumble with the trip list on about 560 so far. Decided to come home for Xmas. Missing home like I've never done before. Also finally come to the realisation that my eye-sight is getting worse, my reactions getting slower, and my fitness not up to the terrain any more! Think my birding days are numbered

Blimey, Larry, don't talk like that - it must have been a bad day! A trip list of 560 sounds pretty good to me and I for one would like to read your trip report.

Looking forward to your reports Abby and Simmo, especially as I don't think it's worth me writing one except to keep a personal record, and to put people off trying to do Peru with a young child, not enough prep, and not using playback! Just come up from the bottom of Manu rd, where did pretty badly. Chuffed with great views of Pale-winged Trumpeter though, and shouldn't grumble with the trip list on about 560 so far. Decided to come home for Xmas. Missing home like I've never done before. Also finally come to the realisation that my eye-sight is getting worse, my reactions getting slower, and my fitness not up to the terrain any more! Think my birding days are numbered

Then the rest of us should do this :gn:

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back