• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend Ultra 10x42 Camo's today for $180 (1 Viewer)

Interesting. Sure has a lot of ecstatic customers!
That's $180 for the 10x42 ... they also have an 8x42, but that sits at $200 now.
Still, they've both been marked down a bit already.
It does look really good for the money. Probably clearing for a new permutation.
Since Nikon got all multi-multi model everyone's turning out all these models...

Interesting. Sure has a lot of ecstatic customers!
That's $180 for the 10x42 ... they also have an 8x42, but that sits at $200 now.
Still, they've both been marked down a bit already.
It does look really good for the money. Probably clearing for a new permutation.
Since Nikon got all multi-multi model everyone's turning out all these models...

Sure does, but not sure if they're as picky as on this board. ;)

I'm going to take a chance and try it again--great price and features for ED glass, magnesium body, and all the lens coatings. If it doesn't work again, I'll update you here.

Having had quite a bit of experience with the Ultra HD - owning a pair and several friends with pairs - I can tell you that they are poorly built and do not hold up in the field.

Floppy central hinges, broken dioptre rings, focus knobs that fall off and / or wobble on their spindle, jammed or broken eye-cups. Good optics in a really crappy package..............and all this from a long-time Bushnell / Bausch and Lomb owner and fan.

Oh dear.
Well, that does tie in with the first post, the broken diopter ring...
And those review raves are usually from the first weeks. Many probably
don't use them much after that vacation tour or whatever.

At least with the Yosemite clones I could predict and cure the defects.
Ah well...
Mechanical details are extremely important these days,
since they are so often messed up. :-(

Having had quite a bit of experience with the Ultra HD - owning a pair and several friends with pairs - I can tell you that they are poorly built and do not hold up in the field.

Floppy central hinges, broken dioptre rings, focus knobs that fall off and / or wobble on their spindle, jammed or broken eye-cups. Good optics in a really crappy package..............and all this from a long-time Bushnell / Bausch and Lomb owner and fan.

Oh Dang. Feedback was too late for me to ignore the 1 day Deal of the Day, yesterday. Thanks though James.

Well I did buy it through Amazon, so I can return it if it doesn't hold up. Arriving tomorrow. I know this is a too good to be true but I wanted to check again and see if this was one of those which actually got through an actual QA for real and passed.

I'd say, given the variance of plastic batches, you've probably got a 50:50 shot at
being OK. I got the super-deal Celestron Nature 8x30s for a clearance $40/....
they had a major focuser assembly defect...I made a nice fix for it. So I ordered
another pair.....it was almost disappointed that they worked perfectly!

Oh Dang. Feedback was too late for me to ignore the 1 day Deal of the Day, yesterday. Thanks though James.

Well I did buy it through Amazon, so I can return it if it doesn't hold up. Arriving tomorrow. I know this is a too good to be true but I wanted to check again and see if this was one of those which actually got through an actual QA for real and passed.

Down here the same story; plastic diopter rings which all broke down. The last shipment went all back for replacement for metal diopter rings. Some were already broken in the box when they came out.

The best way to check is to heaten a needle and pinpoint it on the diopter ring. When it melts it's plastic and don't accept that because they will breake.

Service is great though, replacement without any costs but dow here you pay 429,00 euro for a 8x42 so....B :)

Jan

The Nikon low end is interesting: some plastic parts with metal liners or cores.
I have fixed cracked eyecup and diopter rings on Sporstars and Nascars recently.
Obviously serious impact damages, not usage, but still...the core lives.
A little vinyl/glue and it comes out nice.

All-plastic and cracking speaks of trouble with the materials.

Just delivered

The Camo versions of these came today and I must say that they feel and look really nice. They were very nicely packed and really felt like they were well cared for when shipped out. They really are handsome. They don't have the thumb indents as their smaller black 8x36 version I tried earlier, but (so far) they also don't appear to have the flimsy right diopter ring either.

So technically, they are really clear to view through but I can see immediately the issues of the floppy hinge, which was looser the wider it was and then tightened down when pushed together for a narrower IPD. Some minor CA can be seen, even when not as high contrast situations, but I was looking for it and it was not in a natural setting--city views.

Focus knob was smooth although it does not engage as immediately as I'd hoped for, traveling maybe 1/8" before it starts to move the optics. The Atlas Intrepid ED's, which these are intended to replace, are not totally in danger of being booted. The Legends are smaller overall and lighter, with "cooler" armoring, but in many other ways, they don't surpass the Intrepids so far.

More as I use these (and keep them away from she-who-must-be-obeyed, when She will say "WHAT? :eek!: Another PAIR?? How many do you NEED???")

Damn Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the Day. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back