• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help i.d. in n.y. (1 Viewer)

glide133

A bit of help is needed with these birds.taken on long island today.thanks

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1510951968958.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510951968958.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 115
  • FB_IMG_1510951768923.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510951768923.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 82
  • FB_IMG_1510951766131.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510951766131.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 97
  • FB_IMG_1510951748601.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510951748601.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 105
  • FB_IMG_1510951757708.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510951757708.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 65
1. Western Sandpiper? Semis should be long gone from New York, and the bill tip is fairly thin. Stints have a different straighter feathering where the gape meets the face. I think I also see a bit of palmations.
2. Forster's Tern
3. Black Duck or Mallards
4. Black-bellied Plover (bill way to big for AGP) among other differences
3. Black Duck or Mallards

Andy

1. Western Sandpiper? Semis should be long gone from New York, and the bill tip is fairly thin. Stints have a different straighter feathering where the gape meets the face. I think I also see a bit of palmations.
Andy

Given this bird is a juvenile, a Western would have rufous edges to the mantle, upper scapulars and perhaps to the tertials; however this bird doesn't show a hint of that colour on any of those feather tracts. IMO, the bill tip may seem thinner than is "typical" on SP Sandpiper just because this is a long billed individual (and bill has room to taper out towards the tip more than on shorter billed birds); palmations are not a problem for SPS either, they're expected. A long-billed Semipalmated Sandpiper IMO.

I'll look again into the plover later.

The OP said photo taken "today" (17 November). Western and Semipalmated are long out of juvenile plumage, and this a typical basic plumage. I was referring to stints lacking palmations, not Semis. Basic Semi/Western is a tough identification.

Andy

The OP said photo taken "today" (17 November). Western and Semipalmated are long out of juvenile plumage, and this a typical basic plumage.
Andy

I don't know how that is possible, but the fact is that what is pictured on the photo is a typical juvenile plumage. Basic (winter) plumage is very different (of either SemiPS or WesternS), mostly grey upperparts with thin dark centers to the the scapulars etc.

i don't get it, rafael. juvenile feathers in all these peeps are reddish brown with broad white fringes. these are looking dull grey - so basic plumage. as for species: semipalmated sandpiper.

i don't get it, rafael. juvenile feathers in all these peeps are reddish brown with broad white fringes. these are looking dull grey - so basic plumage. as for species: semipalmated sandpiper.

Quite an unusual pattern for basic plumage, I'd say. Mantle feathers are dark (very dark) centered, lower (and upper) scapulars are dark centered as well, with an internal pattern suggestive of the so called 'anchor marks' (not a thin line along the shaft, diffusely slightly darker towards the edges). Also the shape of those scaps on both plumages is slightly different, a bit blunter tipped on juvs. (as I think this one shows).
1. Western alternate: https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/24947541
2. Semipalmated alternate: http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/galleries/waders/semipalmated-sandpiper-calidris-pusilla/
3. Semipalmated, grey juv: http://www.rarebirdspain.net/irbsa748.jpg
Semipalmated AFAIK is typically a greyer looking peep (as a juv), always lacking clear reddish tones (unlike Western), with buffish tones to the crown and mantle shown in the juv plumage (shown in the OP bird), but lacking on winter/alternate plumaged birds. Am I missing something?
I totally can understand/accept this might be an unusual plumage I'm not familiar with (part of winter/alternate plumage variation), but I'd like to understand it better than, and preferably with some examples of such variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back