• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

On another note I checked all my tit nestboxes yesterday - not good, lots of well feathered dead young presumably from the Bank holiday cold,wet weather. In fact out of 3 boxes I found 14 dead young, and I haven't seen any young tits at the feeders. Has anyone else seen any young tits as yet??

Regards Chris

Chris, Bank Holiday was dreadful wasn't it? I know poor Bank hol weather seems to be expected now but this one was just ridiculous. Must've decimated young pheasants & partridges too. Not noticed any young tits since but they seemed to be doing fairly well over here prior to that with 2 broods of Blues, 1 of Greats and 1 of some highly entertaining Long-tails through the garden.

On another note I had superb views of a Red Kite at Honing this morning as it spiralled upward and to the south. Common Buzzard too...

James

we lost our great tits also probably due to the cold weather and lack of catapillers.I noticed the parents trying to feed them from the fat ball.
they were about a week old when i noticed the parents had gone away
several baby blues about the garden tho.

keith

Excuse the intrusion from a foreigner but we've spent some time in Norfolk recently and seen some of the birds mentioned here; I hope you know how lucky you are!
Here in the Midlands it appears that many tits have failed to raise young due to the catterpillar hatch being early due to warm early spring and therefore no food around now.
Its always great to see unusual birds but there's always some thing to worry about too!

Walked around Weybourne and Kelling this morning. Excellent views of Ringed Plover, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler (loud!), Stonechat, Linnets plus a cuckoo at Muckleburgh on the wireless aerials. The birds today seemed very obliging by staying put and not flying away too soon.

Saw a Red Kite at the weekend near Langham. A friend of mine has seen two in West Norfolk in recent days. Anyone like to guess if they are breeding or how many we have in Norfolk at the moment?
Sue

Hi Sue, was one of those at Dersingham? wondered who saw that. The same day that one was reported a non-birding friend of mine reproted seeing a large bird of prey with a white, forked tail and obvious bends in the wings going south over Heacham...

Connor

Black Stork near Repps with Bastwick

Thought I'd better let people know the details of this record:

I got a call from a friend at about 9.35am informing me that her husband (a non-birder) had just called her to pass on a message about a large black and white bird, easily as big as a heron, with a long red bill in a field just east of Repps which he thought was some sort of stork. Unfortunatley, she didn't have any more details than that so I said I thought it would be an escaped White Stork from Thrigby but would head over anyway to look for it.
I arrived in the area at 10.15 but there was no sign of the bird where I was expecting it to be. I decided to call the person who had seen it and he confirmed that I was in the right place. I asked him to describe what he had seen and he informed me that it was a large black bird with a "white blaze" on the belly, which was easily as big as a heron and had a long red bill. A few expletives followed before I rang RBA to get the news out.

Apologies to everyone for not sorting this out quicker. As the person involved is a non-birding friend I have no doubt that what he has told me is true. I feel the description must surely refer to a Black Stork and hopefully it will be relocated somewhere in Norfolk soon, especially as I still need it for the county!

Sorry again!

Chris

Red Backed Shrike at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse

Temmincks Stint at Titchwell

Caspian Gull at Blackborough End Tip

Iberian Chiffchaff at Colney, Norwich still

Fulmar over the village

good numbers of Little Terns nesting

a very few Manxies passing

Hairy Dragons, Norfolk Hawkers and several Four-spotted Chasers recently along with a few interesting plant species. No Swallowtails but weather has been a tad grim in last two days...

Went looking for the iberian chiffchaff last night but no joy. Can someone confirn how far up the road it has been seen? We parked in the dirt layby closest to the hospital roundabout, then walked up colney lane. Was it in the group of oaks just before the gap where you can see the mown path, or further up the road?

Was it in the group of oaks just before the gap where you can see the mown path, or further up the road?

I'm not sure about a gap but it was in the oaks on the right (coming from the Hospital roundabout). The bird was actually commuting between the oaks and the trees on the other side of the road (above our heads where we were watching from).

I saw it on 24/04/07 but I can't imagine it has moved from there. The call is very diagnostic and if you can get to listen to the call on the internet, and learn it, you should be able to nail the bird (unless it has now stopped calling).

John

Kittykat, the song of Iberian Chiff is really quite distinctive; a link to some sound clips is here. Although I'd never heard it before I knew it was still present when I went as I heard it from my car as I drove up the hill. Good luck at the weekend...

James

Cawston and Marsham heath??

Anyone familiar with this area?, it's about a mile north of buxton heath and
so thought it might be good for Nightjar/Buzzards etc

The area looks quite promising from aerial photography and I'm guessing is a regular haunt of one or two Norwich birders, the area looks good for access as there is a public footpath/circular walk from marsham village...
(see link)

http://www.countrysideaccess.norfolk.gov.uk/walk-36.asp?id=36

Matt

Cheers, we had a listen to the song before we went and I thought I caught a very brief sound of it a couple of times, but it wasn't singing its heart out unfortunately.

Is there much else about in the Norfolk/Suffolk area at the moment? Was thinking of trying Strumpshaw fen. Also, anyone know of a good spot in Norwich for nuthatches? I haven't seen one in a long time (see plenty of treecreepers and woodpeckers around Hellesdon Meadow and Gunton Lane but no nuthatches sadly). Are Hawfinches still present at Lynford Arboretum or is there a good local place for them? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. :D

@Matt- never been but if it sounds promisiong and you fancy some company, let me know. :D

Last edited:
Is there much else about in the Norfolk/Suffolk area at the moment? Was thinking of trying Strumpshaw fen. Also, anyone know of a good spot in Norwich for nuthatches?

@Matt- never been but if it sounds promisiong and you fancy some company, let me know. :D

Hi Jo

Thanks for the kind offer regarding cawston heath, bit difficult at present with lack of transport etc..

Regarding your 'quest' for Nuthatch - have you tried Whitlingham country park?, I've only been there once or twice but always plenty of woodland species around the woods etc.

Early morning visit would be best, probably not the best place for a lone female to be towards the end of the day etc - the carpark gets a bit lively around that time of day!!

Matt

Are Hawfinches still present at Lynford Arboretum or is there a good local place for them? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. :D

2 present on the 16/5/07............flew from the paddocks to the woods adjacent.Not the best time of year to see them but they are around if you are lucky.Flight views rather than perched or ground feeding views are more likely owing to Spring foliage growth.

prob. Blyths reed warbler rptd, Blakeney point in the lupins near tea-room 4:20pm

Connor - you have beaten me to it!!!!! Was just going to put this on!!!!!

Rotton weather here in north west Norfolk.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, collecting my new wheels on Sunday :clap: - will be cruising round/birding!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Also, anyone know of a good spot in Norwich for nuthatches? I haven't seen one in a long time (see plenty of treecreepers and woodpeckers around Hellesdon Meadow and Gunton Lane but no nuthatches sadly).

I live next to Lion Wood (off Telegraph Lane) and often see and hear nuthatches, although there seemed to be more about in the winter and early spring than now, but perhaps that's just because there weren't so many pesky leaves to hide behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back