• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moorhens (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Sketches

Here's a sketch of some moorhens which were done earlier this year, and are being offered up for critique. Sorry about the quality of the scan, but it's a new scanner that I have only just installed and haven't got the hang of yet.
The sketches aren't great as I was (and am!) seriously out of practice, but I'm not too unhappy with them.
Sketching-wise, I am better at drawing waders and large birds than small passerines, as they keep still for longer!

Attachments

• moorhens.jpg
    moorhens.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 190
:t: They look good to me! I'll have to show my hubby Neil tomorrow as Moorhens are his favourite bird - I'm sure he'll love these sketches as they capture the character and jizz of the species.

I tend to draw birds as large as I see them, so some sketches are pretty minute, while others are a lot larger, depending on how near the birds are. My scope is currently equipped with a 27x eyepiece so I don't have as much 'pulling in' power as some.

Gill Osborne said:
:t: They look good to me! I'll have to show my hubby Neil tomorrow as Moorhens are his favourite bird - I'm sure he'll love these sketches as they capture the character and jizz of the species.

I love moorhens too!..poor mans water rail :flyaway:

Matt

Moorhens and Coots, underrated by most probably cos they are so common, I've grown to like them a lot, probably through watching them a lot at my local patch which usually doesn't hold much else! but I find they have a lot of endearing qualities.
Like your field sketches Vectis, something I haven't been able to master, preferring to smack in some colour and try to get the character of the bird without too much detail, anyhow here are my efforts, a bit different from the conventional but how I like to work.

Attachments

• Miniprint---moorhen.jpg
    Miniprint---moorhen.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Miniprint---coot.jpg
    Miniprint---coot.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 127
Excellent pics from both vectis and mouldy.

Getting a good close view of those moorhen and coot feet never fails to put a smile on my face!

Very difficult to portray movement in life studies,my sketches tend only to be a means of recording plumage,size,colouration of species i'm not too familiar with,waders mostly.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back