• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Birding Guide for South Africa? (trying again...) (1 Viewer)

travelnlass

O.k. folks - clumsy newbie here at BF and tried to post this yesterday, but... apparently I bungled it... ;(

I'm planning a sally through South Africa in April/May and am hoping someone here can point me to the best bird guide for South Africa (and/or southern Africa)

I checked Amazon/Borders and find (only) these:

Birds of Southern Africa, by Ian Sinclair, Phil Hockey and Warwick Tarboton
- the editorial review sounds pretty good - paperback: 432 pgs. 200 color plates, of 950 species found in southern Africa. The book is 1" x 9" x 6" (size/weight is important when one is on the road for weeks)

Birds of Southern Africa, by Ber van Perlo
- again, a good editorial review - paperback: 320 pages, 84 color plates - of all 1,250 bird species in southern Africa (hmmm... so which is it, 950 or 1,250?); The book measures a bit less than 1" x 8" x 5" (the 1 review notes that it's a good size for travelers - i.e. an inch smaller in width and height.)

These 2 above are both around $20. There's also "Sasol Birds of Southern Africa" by Ian Sinclair (as above), Pieter Cox and Warwick Tarboton (as above). But that puppy's nearly $60 for the paperback!

The thing is, for any given region, it seems there's always one birding guide that true avians rely on - that's heads above all the rest. Question is - which of these is it? Else - what would you recommend?

All thoughts muchly appreciated.

HI
I found sasol especially this new addition all I needed. as another great Guide robert's Birds of South Africa on CD-Rom by Guy Gibbons is a must too as are his video's both 1 2 and 3. should you need a contact as a guide let me know I have contacts with some very useful people depending on where you are going. Guarenteed Taita falcon etc. I have posted two reports on here as regards my trip.
regards
John
travelnlass said:
O.k. folks - clumsy newbie here at BF and tried to post this yesterday, but... apparently I bungled it... ;(

I'm planning a sally through South Africa in April/May and am hoping someone here can point me to the best bird guide for South Africa (and/or southern Africa)

I checked Amazon/Borders and find (only) these:

Birds of Southern Africa, by Ian Sinclair, Phil Hockey and Warwick Tarboton
- the editorial review sounds pretty good - paperback: 432 pgs. 200 color plates, of 950 species found in southern Africa. The book is 1" x 9" x 6" (size/weight is important when one is on the road for weeks)

Birds of Southern Africa, by Ber van Perlo
- again, a good editorial review - paperback: 320 pages, 84 color plates - of all 1,250 bird species in southern Africa (hmmm... so which is it, 950 or 1,250?); The book measures a bit less than 1" x 8" x 5" (the 1 review notes that it's a good size for travelers - i.e. an inch smaller in width and height.)

These 2 above are both around $20. There's also "Sasol Birds of Southern Africa" by Ian Sinclair (as above), Pieter Cox and Warwick Tarboton (as above). But that puppy's nearly $60 for the paperback!

The thing is, for any given region, it seems there's always one birding guide that true avians rely on - that's heads above all the rest. Question is - which of these is it? Else - what would you recommend?

All thoughts muchly appreciated.

Definately SASOL I don't rememebr it costing that much though perhaps it's one of the few things cheaper in the UK than the US

Steve

Steve Babbs said:
Definately SASOL I don't rememebr it costing that much though perhaps it's one of the few things cheaper in the UK than the US

Steve

I must agree with Steve,

Most of the locals have at least a copy of the Sasol Bird guide.
Leon

The SASOL Guide is excellent. The Roberts CD set even better but it means a PC or PDA. There are also quite a lot of beginners books like What's that Bird by Kenneth Newman.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back