• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (63 Viewers)

Saturday..............from memory
small white, green veined white, large white, brimstone, comma, small skipper, gatekeeper, meadow brown, ringlet, peacock, small tortoise shell.

Brown hawker, azure; beautiful demoiselle (Salwarpe)

Avocets 7...........1 adult & 3 juvs; 1 adult & 1 juv; 1 juv.
lapwing 35, LRP 4, dunlin 2, redshank, greenshank, curlew 12, green sandpiper 8, common sandpiper 2
BH Gull 78, LBBGull 2
linnet, goldfinch, common buzzard 2

Flashes Live..
2 Black Tailed Godwit, 2 Dunlin, at least 10 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, 1 Snipe, 7 Avos, Willow Warbler & Whitethroat so far.

Last edited:
Yesterday's "Willow Tit" (;)) took the year list to 142 whilst the spate of sightings over the last 48 hours promoted July's month list to a very credible 100 species.

I take it no-one else encountered the Willow Tit yesterday?

Yesterday's "Willow Tit" (;)) took the year list to 142 whilst the spate of sightings over the last 48 hours promoted July's month list to a very credible 100 species.

I take it no-one else encountered the Willow Tit yesterday?

In the same spot as the WT I just had a brief view of the juv Cuckoo being fed by a Reed Warbler. Also Garden Warbler.

An updated account take from The Birds of Upton Warren opus:

Despite several reports since the species was promoted to a County rarity in 2007 - some submitted to the County Recorder; others not - there have been no accepted records of Willow Tit at Upton Warren since 2006.

It's great to hear that this species has been recorded on the reserve again. It really has become a bit of a county rarity since the decline.

I remember myself and Craig (Lutley/Wassell Grove birder) regularly seeing a breeding pair near Victoria bridge near Arley in the mid-late 90's...sadly they are no longer present there. How times have changed!

Some flies from yesterday. Happy to be corrected on my id if necessary.

1. Common Blue Damselflies, Sailing Pool
2. Small White, Sailing Pool
3. Comma, Flashes, showing comma mark
4. Meadow Brown, Flashes
5. Mother of Pearl, Salwarpe

Attachments

• Common Blue Damselflies comp.jpg
    Common Blue Damselflies comp.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Small White comp.jpg
    Small White comp.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Comma comp.jpg
    Comma comp.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Meadow Brown comp.jpg
    Meadow Brown comp.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 54
  • Mother of Pearl comp.jpg
    Mother of Pearl comp.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi Brian - do you have any details on the number of records of Willow Tit in the county in recent years? The latest WMBC report (2010 - 2011 due out soon??) lists just 4 records for that year, including 2 from the Grimley area.

Hi Phil,

Just three acceptable records for 2011 in the north of the county.

And another three submitted (subject to acceptance) for 2012.

Brian

John Lay was the greenshank finder.

Willow tits were still breeding along the River Cole in Hall Green as recently as 2008.
Two were seen in Highbury Park, Kings Heath in Sept 2009, although there was no evidence of breeding.

Doesn't seem that long ago they could be seen at Windmill Naps, off J3 of the M42; Clowes Wood, Earlswood and in the Wyre Forest.

Like spotted flycatchers, seem to have gone locally. Spotted flycatchers used to breed at Trittiford Park, the churchyard at Kings Norton and Priory Fields.

The willow tit I saw on the Lickeys was with a mixed flock of tits and finches.

Redshank and Greenshank now at the Flashes (as per Lesser Kestrel); definately a bit of wader movement today

Last edited:
Spent a few hours this morning willing something rare to drop in!

Highlights were 2 Black Tailed Godwits at the Flashes which showed briefly and then promptly hid behind the main island for the rest of the morning!

The juv Cuckoo with attentive Reed Warbler was nice to see briefly - didn't hang around for a picture..

On the Moors a Hobby picked up by Dave Jackson was the highlight.

Complete list of sightings attached - and a few pics - the Juv Common Tern fishing was great to see, a smart Linnet and in contrast a scruffy Chiffchaff 8-P

Attachments

• List28.7.2013.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Chiff.jpg
    Chiff.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Linnet.jpg
    Linnet.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 104
  • YoungCT.jpg
    YoungCT.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 99
John Lay was the greenshank finder.

Willow tits were still breeding along the River Cole in Hall Green as recently as 2008.
Two were seen in Highbury Park, Kings Heath in Sept 2009, although there was no evidence of breeding.

Doesn't seem that long ago they could be seen at Windmill Naps, off J3 of the M42; Clowes Wood, Earlswood and in the Wyre Forest.

Like spotted flycatchers, seem to have gone locally. Spotted flycatchers used to breed at Trittiford Park, the churchyard at Kings Norton and Priory Fields.

The willow tit I saw on the Lickeys was with a mixed flock of tits and finches.

I know it is not quite in Worcestershire but is very close. I had a Willow Tit at Woodgate Valley for several weeks this winter so seem to be clinging on in a few places.

Cheers

Moors this afternoon.
Little grebe: brood of 3 well grown chicks in scrape
2 fledged (stripey) chicks still with an adult in the SW marsh - these are from another pair other than the Broadmeadow pool (BR pool) pair.
There was an adult in the BR pool.G 6 ads + 3 chicks on the adults back.
Tufted 17th brood of 2 chicks.
teal 4, shoveler 2,
well grown common tern chick on the north island - possibly one of the chicks that had swam off the shingle island last week
lapwing 1 juv, oystercatcher.
sand martin 5, starling c30

Flashes this evening
GREYLAG 2, Teal 3, mallard c120, tufted 1 fem, lapwing 30, curlew 20, LRP 6 poss 7 (3 juvs), Green sand 12, common sand 2, Avocet 7, dunlin 2, common tern 2, BHG 600 roosted.
swift c20, stock dove 24 min
goldcrest 2.

Last edited:
Flashes Live..
7 Avocet still, 2 Dunlin, Common and Green Sandpiper. Juv Cuckoo along track calling (food begging call) same area I saw it yesterday by Hen Pool hide. Whitethroat, Willow Warbler.

Last edited:
Moors this afternoon.
Little grebe: brood of 3 well grown chicks in scrape
2 fledged (stripey) chicks still with an adult in the SW marsh - these are from another pair other than the Broadmeadow pool (BR pool) pair.
There was an adult in the BR pool.

Hi John - presuambly the Little Grebe family in the scrape are the pair that nested on the east side of the Moors whilst the two fledged chicks in the SW marsh could be the first brood from the Broadmeadow that have now been ousted by the newly emerged family?

Hi John - presuambly the Little Grebe family in the scrape are the pair that nested on the east side of the Moors whilst the two fledged chicks in the SW marsh could be the first brood from the Broadmeadow that have now been ousted by the newly emerged family?

Thats what I thought initially. But the two from the Broadmeadow were indipendantof their parents. Also they were 'stripeless'. These two in the SwMarsh were heavily striped. I suspect they were a brood that were from the third pair. I saw a couple of birds elswhere but the light was poor so i couldnt age them.

Moth Trapping At Upton Warren.

I am joining Dave Grundy in a moth trapping session at Upton Warren tomorrow evening. We will be setting up along the Moors Pool causeway at about 20.30. The target species are Uptons' rarer Wainscots. Please feel free to come along and join in.

JS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back