• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

senatore

I live near Solihull in the West Midlands and need to know if I have got any chance at all of seeing a Waxwing at my local reserve or do I have to travel up to the North East ?

I would say there is a good chance of waxwings turning up over the winter somewhere in the West Midlands. You certainly shouldn't need to travel to the North East, although I am sure the locals there would say it's a good place to visit anyway. ;)

Good luck.

Nice one Robin :t: and you are right of course ;)

They haven't actually turned in my area yet. They seem to be hanging around Tyneside at the moment. Not many Redwing or Fieldfare yet either.

I am sure they will gradually work their way south. We usually have good numbers by late December.

senatore said:
I live near Solihull in the West Midlands and need to know if I have got any chance at all of seeing a Waxwing at my local reserve or do I have to travel up to the North East ?

Hi All,

It is shaping up to be another big year for waxwings and we should see some of the birds moving south from Scotland over the next few weeks. Talking with colleagues on Friday, I wondered if the influx had occurred a little early this year inferring that conditions on the continent had pushed them across. Has any of our European friends anything to say on this? It depends on the Arola pine but we are overdue an influx of nutcrackers (no major numbers for more than 30 years). Anyone any views on what other goodies could potentially turn up?

Ian

Ian Peters said:
Hi All,

It is shaping up to be another big year for waxwings and we should see some of the birds moving south from Scotland over the next few weeks. Talking with colleagues on Friday, I wondered if the influx had occurred a little early this year inferring that conditions on the continent had pushed them across. Has any of our European friends anything to say on this? It depends on the Arola pine but we are overdue an influx of nutcrackers (no major numbers for more than 30 years). Anyone any views on what other goodies could potentially turn up?

Ian
Well the REAL goodie would be an influx of Pine Grosbeaks! But a Hawk Owl and a few white Gyrs would be nice! And the odd Stellar's / Spectacled (!) Eider too! Realistically: a few Scandinavian White-tailed Eagles in Norfolk?

waxwings

IanF said:
Nice one Robin :t: and you are right of course ;)

They haven't actually turned in my area yet. They seem to be hanging around Tyneside at the moment. Not many Redwing or Fieldfare yet either.

I am sure they will gradually work their way south. We usually have good numbers by late December.
Even better ,try North East Scotland,We,ve got umpteen.

Ian Peters said:
I wondered if the influx had occurred a little early this year inferring that conditions on the continent had pushed them across. Has any of our European friends anything to say on this? It depends on the Arola pine but we are overdue an influx of nutcrackers (no major numbers for more than 30 years).

Indeed Waxwings were on the move earlier than usual up here in north-east Europe - perhaps not coincidentally snow came unusually early with overnight falls and a white carpet on (if I remember) 10th October. From then til about 2 weeks ago, large numbers of Waxwings were abundant, but have all moved through now - not seeing any at all now.

As regards Nutcrackers, also had well-above average sighting in September-early October, with ones or twos daily at most sites I visited. They too have 'disappeared' which in reality means there've gone back into their secretive mode! Back to the usual one or two a month!

I live not far from you and hoped to see some today, but didn't. I know that, on Friday, Waxwings were reported on Cannock Chase and at Upton Warren...hence my optimism!

Rob

Sorry Ian, have to disagree with the lack of Waxwings, I was lucky enough to see a flock of 30+ at the end of my road last Wednesday (how lucky is that!) Also several small flocks of Redwing at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park the same day ;)

pauliev69 said:
Sorry Ian, have to disagree with the lack of Waxwings, I was lucky enough to see a flock of 30+ at the end of my road last Wednesday (how lucky is that!) Also several small flocks of Redwing at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park the same day ;)
If you see them again - Waxwings that is - give me a ring!

The Redwing were still at Cowpen Woodland Park today but nothing like in the numbers that usually turn up. Four Fieldfare as well. Loads of Tree Sparrows in the feeding station.

;) Hi i live in Killin near the Highlands, Waxwings up until last week were pretty common as were fieldfares and redwings but now they have stripped every thing clean there off down south to sunny climates of the north of England and within a week the Midlands. Check out your local Tesco superstore as waxwings tend to do a lot of there Feeding on the berrys in the car parks.
PS Whooper swans are back about a dozen on Loch Tay west end and on Loch Dochart.
cheers Dash

"Even better ,try North East Scotland,We,ve got umpteen."

Some from the flocks in Westhill yesterday.
Interestingly, the juviniles seem to have a problem digesting the skins from these berries, so reguritate them, covering me in the process.

If anyone recognises which species of tree this is, can you let me know please.
Thanks.

Regards

Malky.

Attachments

• Waxies.jpg
    Waxies.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 151
Seems to be indeed a good year for Waxwings for Romania too, first observations on Tuesday (18th of November) 14 birds, but since then their numbers are as high as 120 (which is of course not that much)! Strangely, from the surrounding countries and the other areas in Romania, I've got some information from Hungary (3 birds seen on the 14th) and nothing else! Only in my neighborhood there are 120 of them! Strange, also that a couple of hours ago 9 Grey partridges entered the gardens, searching for food, and there is more than 500 m 'till the end of the town, and they had to cross fences, gardens, houses, ....
J

A couple of Lapland buntings in Norfolk at the end of last week. As one of my colleagues said, it is a pity nutcrackers don't eat berries.

[Just a quick note, over a 100 of Waxwings were seen in Tulcea next to the Danube Delta, today, so they are coming...;-)
J[/QUOTE]
Joszef - that is not fair ! you have every species under the sun in Tulcea !

They have been spotted in Taunton, in SW England, so they have already passed Birmingham.

Saw a large flock of 100+ feeding of Rowan trees (Sorbus Aucuparia)

They are being constantly chased bye a Sparrow Hawk.

Magoo

Waxwings in Leeds, West Yorkshire

Just noticed a flock of 30+ in Gotts Park this morning 2 miles west of the city centre. Grouping in large trees alongside some rowans. Fantastic as it's the first time I've ever seen them. I guess the recent cold spell put them on the move southwards?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back