• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day trip with Hornbills and Trogons (1 Viewer)

wengchun

Registered Member
It has been some birding with great views of 5 hornbills, 5 broadbills, 2 trogons, and so much more. Although we dipped on Garnet Pitta and Banded Pitta, the birding was great! an unexpectable rufous-backed kingfisher suddenly passed by while we were looking at the crimson-breasted flowerpecker. a red-bearded bee-eater was very cooperative in the morning by showing itself in an open horizontal branch a few feet away. all this in a span of 12 hours birding in the lowland and highland in peninsular malaysia.

Hornbills
1. Black Hornbill (1 pair)
2. Oriental Pied Hornbill (1 pair)
3. Rhinoceros Hornbill (single bird on few occassion)
4. Great Hornbill (single bird on few occassion)
5. Helmeted Hornbill (just 1)

Broadbills
1. Black-and-Red Broadbill (nesting)
2. Banded Broadbill
3. Black-and-Yellow Broadbill (1 bird was spotted while observing the Buff-rumped Woodpecker)
4. Silver-breasted Broadbill (1 pair)
5. Green Broadbill (messing with a squirrel's nest)

Trogons
1. Scarlet-rumped Trogon
2. Orange-breasted Trogon

Bulbuls
1. Red-eyed Bulbul
2. Spectacled Bulbul
3. Cream-vented Bulbul
4. Stripe-throated Bulbul
5. Grey-bellied Bulbul
6. Hairy-backed Bulbul
7. Olive-winged Bulbul
8. Black-headed Bulbul
9. Black-crested Bulbul
10. Mountain Bulbul
11. Ochraceous Bulbul
12. Ashy Bulbul

Flowerpeckers
1. Crimson-breasted Flowerpecker
2. Orange-bellied Flowerpecker
3. Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker

Leafbirds
1. Blue-winged Leafbird
2. Orange-bellied Leafbird

and so much more....

Totally forgotten to bring my scope adapter, so had to rely on my phone to snap a photo of the great hornbill.

Attachments

• GreatHornbillXperiaRay01.jpg
    GreatHornbillXperiaRay01.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
An excellent day, Weng Chun, I'm especially impressed with the Green broadbill - which remains missing from my list.

An excellent day, Weng Chun, I'm especially impressed with the Green broadbill - which remains missing from my list.

there were several green broadbill calling, but after seeing the first one right in the open, we did not bother to look for the others.

*do we have the same bird as avatar???*

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back