• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TS Apo Pistol Handgrip ASH101 Beta 1 (1 Viewer)

cango

Well, here is the rough draft. Haven't yet tried it in the field, only indoors.

The weight balance is obviously off, putting great strain on the wrist, thus it feels heavier than it is.

The biggest drawback - not the grips fault - is that you only are able to thumb-focus in small increments. You need the right hand to pre-focus far away or close shots.

Can't say it's the ideal walk about lens-combo ;-) But hey, you work with what you have... :)

Attachments

• DSCN1661.jpg
    DSCN1661.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1662.jpg
    DSCN1662.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN1663.jpg
    DSCN1663.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 173
I like the idea, but i've tried hand holding scopes before, and even though my new ES 80 is the lightest scope i've owned, its still a handful and much as i like your idea, i cant see me doing the same

But i'd like to see you perfect your idea ..keep at it !

I like the idea, but i've tried hand holding scopes before, and even though my new ES 80 is the lightest scope i've owned, its still a handful and much as i like your idea, i cant see me doing the same

But i'd like to see you perfect your idea ..keep at it !

agree about the handful...

I have already realised that the angle of the grip is wrong. It should be straight down (90degrees) or slightly angled to the reversed side (forward). As it is now, it put too much pressure on the wrist.

will try out the idea a bit more, but If I know me, I will go back to my tripod ;-)

agree about the handful...

I have already realised that the angle of the grip is wrong. It should be straight down (90degrees) or slightly angled to the reversed side (forward). As it is now, it put too much pressure on the wrist.

will try out the idea a bit more, but If I know me, I will go back to my tripod ;-)

Hi Carlos,

It is the kind of device you need 3 hands to operate unless... I wonder if it would be possible to use SIRI, CORTANA or GOOGLE NOW to voice actuate the shutter using Olympus Share on your smart phone ????

Cool. have you thought about the following:
  • Moving the grip forward towards the centre of gravity. Not sure where the sweet spot would be, probably depending on individual preferences and anatomy/length of arms
  • Using an Olympus RM-UC1 (or third party) to operate the shutter. Either place it on the vertical grip for you to operate the shutter release with same hand as is holding the scope, or holding the RC with same hand as operates the knob (probably right hand).

Cool. have you thought about the following:
  • Moving the grip forward towards the centre of gravity. Not sure where the sweet spot would be, probably depending on individual preferences and anatomy/length of arms
  • Using an Olympus RM-UC1 (or third party) to operate the shutter. Either place it on the vertical grip for you to operate the shutter release with same hand as is holding the scope, or holding the RC with same hand as operates the knob (probably right hand).

Haven't yet had time to do beta2.

"Moving the grip forward towards the centre of gravity." well, no, because that would put my thumb out of reach of the wheel.

regarding shutter operation: Using the camera shutter, by holding the camera provides me with stability to use the viewfinder (holding the camera to the face as you normally do). To move boths hands away from the camera - one to the center of gravity, and the other to operate the focus knobs/and shutter by remote, will require (I think, for me) a way to strap the camera viewfinder to my head :)

First change I will do, is to straighten up the grip (or reverse it slightly) Then see how it feels. An option would be to center the grip more to the axis of the lens.

One hope is this: http://techartpro.com/
when it comes to mft

What about some sort of arm brace like you see on catapults. I guess the system would need to be reversed so the brace is under the arm if the scope is front heavy. Grabbed this pic off the Web. You see them on guns too but the strap goes right around the arm.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_3486.JPG
    DSC_3486.JPG
    460.6 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back