• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best low light bino 10x (1 Viewer)

Even if me pupils cannot dilate enough,

I still enjoy the extra wiggle room ...

ETA:I have a WWII era or slightly after 9x63. Cannot lay claim to it being the cat's meow, but I like the view.

Last edited:
My annual ophthalmo visit is on 30 Oct.

For what little it may or may not be worth, I will ask him, and report back.

I have been meaning to, but forgot last year, and when I called the office they rather coyly told me that I would "have to get that information from the Dr."

My annual ophthalmo visit is on 30 Oct.

For what little it may or may not be worth, I will ask him, and report back.

I have been meaning to, but forgot last year, and when I called the office they rather coyly told me that I would "have to get that information from the Dr."
Just try a 7x50 and a 10x50 binocular at dusk and if the 7x50 is brighter you have 7mm pupils. I will bet you won't see any difference.

Just try a 7x50 and a 10x50 binocular at dusk and if the 7x50 is brighter you have 7mm pupils. I will bet you won't see any difference.

It isn't likely that you will find an alpha 7x50 and an alpha 10x50 at the same time in order to make this test. Meanwhile your pupils will continue to get older while the hunt continues.:-C:-O

Bob

It isn't likely that you will find an alpha 7x50 and an alpha 10x50 at the same time in order to make this test. Meanwhile your pupils will continue to get older while the hunt continues.:-C:-O

Bob

Boy, we sure love to stack those BBs, don't we? And, most of us are too bloody old to start with. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
I sold my Fujinon 7x50's FMTR-SX when I compared them to my 8x32 SV's. 98% of the time the SV's were just as bright and MUCH smaller. For birding stick with an 8x32, 8x42 or a 10x42.

Last edited:
For daytime viewing an 8x28 should suffice. Me auld Nixon, non-phase coated, 12x36 does well on sunny days.

Thinking about your narrow view comment earlier I snooped around the bins bin dragging out the pride o' Canada, Kurt Müller optica triple tested luminized coated 16x50. Hold on to your seat! Here's the specs:

157'/1000yd 2.99* jb-139 je-11 Dark blue/violet MgF2 coating at least on four surfaces. W/o checking I'm forced to take them at their word on fov.

ETA: Why use an old 15x50 w/skinny view?

The measly 28oz Vs. 43.6 for 15x56 vulture 4.3*.

Plus you need mount on the money w/2.99*. For cryin' out loud the MONARCH 5 20x56 is 3.3* weighing again 43.6 oz.

Last edited:
I have read that swarovski sv 10x50 is brighter than swarovski slc 10x56 HD during the day and this surprised me a little.

I have read that swarovski sv 10x50 is brighter than swarovski slc 10x56 HD during the day and this surprised me a little.
Where did you read that? Everything I have read says the 10x56 slc is brighter. It would be highly unlikely that a 50mm would be brighter than a 56mm given equal quality optics especially since the SLC has AK prisms and the EL does not and the SLC has a transmission of 93% with the EL only being 90% .

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/585519-swarovski-el-10x50-vs-swarovski-slc-10x56/

"Zeiss have long used a special type of prism that is neither a Porro nor a Schmidt-Pechan, but something called an Abbe-König - strictly another type of roof prism. The good thing about this type of prism is that the light is bent around by total internal reflection (just like porros), with no mirror coatings required (unlike conventional roofs). This means the 10x56 SLCs, like the Zeiss FLs and Dialyts, simply transmit more light than even the best conventional roofs. Swarovski quote 93% light transmission: that’s 3% more than the Swarovski ELs and so the view is a little brighter in the daytime. Interestingly, Swarovski don’t advertise this feature at all; I only know about it from reading a technical post on their blog and by noting it omits their ‘Swarobright’ mirror coatings (because it doesn’t have mirrors!)"

Last edited:

It would surprise anyone who remembers how much smaller your pupils are than the exit pupils of these binos during normal daylight.

Lee

I read it here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=348973
Maybe the difference is very very small.
That is the first time I have heard anybody say the 10x50 SV was brighter than the 10x56 SLC HD. She is probably seeing something other than brightness like clarity or edge sharpness since it is daytime viewing and your pupils would be maxed out with either binocular. In low light the bigger SLC Swarovski 10x56 would be brighter. I would try them for yourself to judge.

Last edited:
That is the first time I have heard anybody say the 10x50 SV was brighter than the 10x56 SLC HD. She is probably seeing something other than brightness like clarity or edge sharpness since it is daytime viewing and your pupils would be maxed out with either binocular. In low light the bigger SLC Swarovski 10x56 would be brighter. I would try them for yourself to judge.

:t::t::t:

When you say one's pupils would be 'maxed out', I am sure you meant minimised-out due to the high light levels so the exit pupils of neither bino would be utilised.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back