• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pentax pf-80ed and Nikon d60 digiscoping (1 Viewer)

carnybob

I'm very new to digiscoping and would like to find what I'll need to combine the Pentax scope and the Nikon D60 camera. I want to be able to use each independently so I am looking for something that's fairly simple to attach and remove. Any help identifying an adaptor(s) and where I might buy such items would be much appreciated.

carnybob

Get either the Pentax XW or Baader Hyperion eyepiece. Buy a step ring and a T mount for the Nikon. This will allow you to screw the eyepiece directly to the camera and take pictures in eyepiece projection mode.

Get either the Pentax XW or Baader Hyperion eyepiece. Buy a step ring and a T mount for the Nikon. This will allow you to screw the eyepiece directly to the camera and take pictures in eyepiece projection mode.

Hello Can Popper,

I have just received my Pentax PF80 straight and use a Nikon DSLR with a variety of lenses. Following are some of the lenses that I have that I think may be suitable for digiscoping
50 1.8
50 1.4
18-55 generation 1
35-70 2.8
The first 3 lenses have a 52 mm filter while the last has a 62 mm filter ring.

So amongst these which one would be the ideal lens for digiscoping and also the best eyepiece to use with these lenses.
I stay in India so cant really try and buy. I am assuming that XW20 would be the best EP and so has anyone used the above mentioned lenses with the XW20 without any vignetting or focussing problems? I would also like to know if I need any additonal digiscoping adapters/accessories to use with the above combination. I also have a Feisol carbon fibre tripod.

Thanks in advance.

You are looking for afocal projection then. I originally thought you were looking for eyepiece projection photography.

Just use the Orion Steadypix outlined in this thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1657361#post1657361

You will probably use the lens that is not as long but you should experiment with all of them before settling on which one is your go-to lens.

Thanks for your reply.
Actually I am fine with both modes of digiscoping. Which one is the better method in terms of focussing, avoiding vignetting and for sharper results.

The sharpest I've been able to get are prime focus and afocal. Prime is the best but very limiting in terms of magnification. Afocal gives you the best magnification range.

Eyepiece projection been a bit hit or miss for me. Haven't experimented with it as much ever since I've gotten into videoscoping (which has turned out to be more fun than all three).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back