• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Creative Bird feeding (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Here's a fun recipe and it's soooo easy to do, even I can make it!

Braided Seed Wreath for Birdies

1 lb. frozen bread dough (or home made bread dough)
peanut butter
wild birdseed

Directions

Roll out dough into a 30 inch rope. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into thirds lengthwise and braid. Place braided dough on greased baking sheet. Form a circle and seal edges by pinching together. Cover with clean towel and let rise one hour or until double in size.

Bake at 350° F / 176.6° C for 20-30 minutes or until brown. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool. Spread peanut butter on top of the wreath and sprinkle with birdseed.

Hang outside for the birds to enjoy.

Anyone else have a birdy recipe?

What a great recipe, Lydia! I may try that recipe! Have to get to the shops first though as I do not have the ingredients for making my own dough, though I will probably buy some ready made!
Anything for an easy life!o:D

I was the domestic goddess yesteday afternoon and made the birdy bread above. Rather than using just low salt peanut butter ... I mixed in some suet.

I covered the top of the bread ring with the mixture but it kept sliding off to the side and filling the center. OK. I stuffed the center of the ring with suet and peanut butter plus a mix of sunflower, mixed nuts, millet and raisins. By the way .... latex gloves makes this part of the recipe much easier! :-O

Since I had lots of suet left ... I melted it down and added the seeds and nuts and placed that into several shallow containers to harden. It is nearly in the single digits today ... The birds, hopefully, will enjoy my home cooking. :t:

Attachments

• TSO 308 Large Web view.jpg
    TSO 308 Large Web view.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 34
Hmmmm. If you like bread, beef suet, sunflower, cashews, peanuts, pecans, almonds, raisins, safflower, millet, hazelnuts, and Brazil nuts with peanut butter ... This is the ~treat~ for you! LOL!

So far .... no takers though. Within minutes of putting this creation outside in a hanging platform feeder ... the Starlings were on it like, well, Starlings! A minute or so afterwards the resident Cooper's Hawk made himself known and NO ONE has been at the feeders all day. *SIGH*

Good thing is the temperature is 8F ... it won't spoil. It's probably frozen rock solid though. Hope no one breaks a tooth or a beak trying to eat the thing. I'll bring it in later tonight to thaw out and try again tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back