• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF-65ED with Vixen NLV eyepiece opinions (1 Viewer)

thumper-tx

I am looking for some options for a fixed length eyepiece for my PF-65ed to keep the scope as compact as possible and is less expensive than the XW and XL series. I have the SMC zoom on the scope now and like it a lot but it is rather big and the cover will not zip closed with it on the scope body.

Mainly I am looking in the 7mm-10mm length and need good eyerelief. The Vixen Lanthanum series look interesting and woundered if anyone has specific experience with them on this scope or if you have other suggestions.

I want the more compact setup for when I am hiking a lot and the scope will spend some amount of time in a daypack.

I am looking for some options for a fixed length eyepiece for my PF-65ed to keep the scope as compact as possible and is less expensive than the XW and XL series. I have the SMC zoom on the scope now and like it a lot but it is rather big and the cover will not zip closed with it on the scope body.

Mainly I am looking in the 7mm-10mm length and need good eyerelief. The Vixen Lanthanum series look interesting and woundered if anyone has specific experience with them on this scope or if you have other suggestions.

I want the more compact setup for when I am hiking a lot and the scope will spend some amount of time in a daypack.

Forget 7-10mm in a fixed EP! For one you have that covered with the zoom! Look more at 12-20mm! This is where a fixed EP on that scope shines! That said I do like the newer Vixens with the twist up EP's they perform really well with the 65mm Pentax! They don't have a huge fov but, are tack sharp and show excellent color contrast! I have the 20mm and the newer clickstop zoom that I use on my scope! I used to have all the Pentax EP's that are useable on this scope. I'm down to XW 20 & 14 as well as the XF zoom which is never used anymore because I like the Vixen with 16-48X on the scope better than 20-60x! Which I think if you are using the larger Pentax zoom (SMC) you are getting the same mags (16-48x)! So if you want a compact EP that gives up a little fov I highly recommend the Vixen's! Hope this helps, Bryce...

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct, the SMC Pentax gives 16-48 magnification and I like it a lot. I hope a few more people weigh in with opinions on Vixen or other fixed eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back