• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope: wide angle or zoom eyepiece? (2 Viewers)

pigsonthewing

What are folks thoughts on the choice of an eyepiece, with a top- end
scope such as a Swarovski? Wide-angle, or Zoom? I'll be digiscoping with a Nikon 995.

I assume this is a FAQ, but don't know where, on-line, to look for an
existing answer... (nor even which forum to pist this in!)

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I'll be interested in the replies too as I have that scope with the 20-60x zoom. Personally I don't think the zoom is as good as the Kowa 20-60x that I had on my 823. I am seriously considering the purchase of the 30x for use in digiscoping. Having said that the zoom is great for normal viewing whilst birdwatching. I guess having both is the answer but a bit cumbersome to cart around as they are quite chunky things.

Well you could buy the Zeiss 85T* as its zoom is super wide compared with any other - offering almost 50% more view than say, the Swaro zoom. It's a genuine birder's delight in my view. That said - I use both as the 30xW eyepieces are always such a delight.

My usual advise it to use what you prefer for normal viewing...you'll be using your scope conventionally for 90% of the time, no point in compromising your main hobby for the sake of some photos. If you like a wide angle view, get a fixed wide angle...if you like the ability to go up above 30/40x, buy a zoom.

It makes little difference when digiscoping whether it's a fixed or zoom, zooms are of a very high standard these days. Having the ability to go down to 20x is quite useful in dark conditions and when confronted by a large bird, rather than being stuck at 30x.

jthatch555 said:
I have the 20x60 zoom and the 30wa Swaro absolutely brilliant.

John
I prefer the Zeiss zoom, but it has to be said that the Swaro + 30x is a rare thing indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back