• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured Blackbird (1 Viewer)

wilmauk

I'm so annoyed. I got up this morning and noticed that there was something amiss with the quirky juve blackbird who visits my garden most days. The poor little thing has lost her tail feathers and has an injured leg. She looks like she's been through the wars.....flippin cats.

I've spoilt her with some cherries on a skewer, and she's been tucking in. She's able to fly, and is moving around, albeit a little bit lop-sided. Hopefully she's found a bit of a safe haven from cats in my garden. My loopy Irish Setter won't allow them in the garden, as all the neighbourhood cats must know by now.

Any ideas on what her chances might be? I'm hoping that the fact that she can fly is a good sign.

With a "safe" garden like yours and your extra feeding she's got all the chances in the world unless the injured leg presents a problem. I agree, the fact that she can fly is an enormous bonus. Let us know how she's getting on.
The Bluetit
P.S.: Why "she"/ "her"? Might it not be a boy?!?

I would agree wilmauk.The bird can fly and is tucking in.We have a Collared Dove here that has had a damaged leg for months,it is doing fine at the moment.

Like bluetit said,Please keep us informed. :bounce:

Thanks guys, I will keep you updated.

Ps. Bluetit....I call her a 'her' mainly because she is a quirky little thing, and she just seems like a female. She's also very brown, though I do know that can change. I suppose time will reveal all, hopefully. ;)

That's interesting because the two blackbird chicks that are here in a very prolific way, seems like 16/24 actually, appear like a male and a female purely by character, although from the beginning ( 3-4 weeks ago ) we've called them no.1-son and no.2-son to tell them apart. A couple of days ago no.1-son started chortling away to himself like an adult male only in a quiet sort of fashion, perhaps he is a boy truly!
No.2-son still just screams for food, baby-fashion, you need earplugs with that one.
The Bluetit

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back