• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Octarem Adjustments (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody. I am 46 yrs old and have looked thru binoculars since I was a boy, but my newest pair have something I have never seen before.
They are Zeiss 8x50 model Octarem. The serial number says they were made in 1985. They are a center focus design with the right eyepiece being the balancer. It has the white tick marks and the upper lens moves up & down when I turn the knurled ring. But the left eyepiece is also fitted with a knurled ring which rotates. But there are no markings on this side, and the lens does not move up & down when I turn the ring. Because I bought this instrument used it did not come with an owner's manual or any other factory papers.
What does this ring do? Is it some sort of alignment adjustment? I ask that because when I first used them there was some feeling of eyestrain but after giving the wheel a half turn it went away. The change could have been my imagination as it was only a slight difference, but I tried it again today and there is one setting which seems more pleasant. Also by watching the dust specks on the lens I see that turning this ring rotates the top lens element. So perhaps the change in viewing quality was not all in my head.
If someone out there has an Octarem owner's manual, or if one of the repair techs reads this, would you tell me what this ring is for?
Thank You, Brian

I have an Octarem and the ring on the left eyepiece has never moved (I've owned them from new). Sounds like it's become loose for some reason. I think it's only knurled for cosmetic reasons. Hope that helps.

Brian Albin said:
Hi everybody. I am 46 yrs old and have looked thru binoculars since I was a boy, but my newest pair have something I have never seen before.
They are Zeiss 8x50 model Octarem. The serial number says they were made in 1985. They are a center focus design with the right eyepiece being the balancer. It has the white tick marks and the upper lens moves up & down when I turn the knurled ring. But the left eyepiece is also fitted with a knurled ring which rotates. But there are no markings on this side, and the lens does not move up & down when I turn the ring. Because I bought this instrument used it did not come with an owner's manual or any other factory papers.
What does this ring do? Is it some sort of alignment adjustment? I ask that because when I first used them there was some feeling of eyestrain but after giving the wheel a half turn it went away. The change could have been my imagination as it was only a slight difference, but I tried it again today and there is one setting which seems more pleasant. Also by watching the dust specks on the lens I see that turning this ring rotates the top lens element. So perhaps the change in viewing quality was not all in my head.
If someone out there has an Octarem owner's manual, or if one of the repair techs reads this, would you tell me what this ring is for?
Thank You, Brian

The left ocular ring is just free turnable without function.

Walter

Hello, I see this is one of the few threads on the Zeiss Jena 8x50 Octarem. Mine is the BGA model, 1987, and it's my favourite binocular. I've owned it for about 10 years and would never sell it. I'd like to hear from other users, with their opinions on this relatively rare model, which later became the Docter Nobilem. Not many people have seen or used an Octarem/Nobilem. I believe it was produced 1984-90 (Carl Zeiss Jena) and 1991-95 (Docter). I've read the Holger Merlitz reviews, and he was very impressed with it. In my opinion, it's one of the finest binoculars ever made, but it remains an 'unsung hero'. The few reports I've seen from other owners seem to confirm it was outstanding, and has a loyal following. If its rare eBay appearances are anything to go by, it still sells for about £400+ (Octarem) and more for the later Nobilem. I recall seeing a review of the Nikon Superior E, when an 'old' Octarem was included for comparison, and it out-resolved the Nikon at the centre but wasn't as good at the edge; quite a feat! I acknowledge the Octarem is big and heavy, and therefore not 'fashionable' now, but then, so am I... and we go together well. The same can be said for the older 'big body' Swift HR Audubon, another 'classic'. I accept I don't have any of the latest 'top 4' to compare against the Octarem, but it is better than my Zeiss 10x40 BGAT*, albeit that isn't a P*. My eyes are not as good as they were, but I don't yet wear glasses; if I did, would they be rose coloured?
"Why do Birders need binoculars? ... To sort the Wheatears from the Chaffinches".

Binofan has a picture of my model http://binofan.home.att.net/images/octarems.jpg
They are easily the best view I have had and I do not expect to buy another pair of binoculars for image improvement, although I would like to get a coat pocket model someday; these of course require carrying on the neck strap.

The three or four best qualities of them are:
Accurate color, Some of my other binoculars appear brown tinted or blue tinted.

Plenty of light-to-dark contrast so the colors have their natural saturation instead of looking washed out. I think this is largely because they were made in the era of multi layer lens coating, while other models I have used were single coated or even two old pairs were uncoated.

A deep focused field. I have used binos with a field so shallow that I had to refocus for every target. These are great in that regard.

And finally, they are sharply focused across the entire field. If a pair of binoculars are blurred only at the edge I don't mind very much, but I hate that kind where when the center is put in focus the entire field is progressively more blurry working out toward the edge. Also I have used binos that had soft spots, or blurred patches in the field. Thankfully these Octarems have none of that.

The trade off is a 59 degree eyepiece. I wish these were wider, but I understand that optical design trades one quantity for another.
Overall I give these views very high marks.

And I would also mention that mechanically they function well. The focus mechanism is not sloppy, as it is in some of my others. The internal baffling seems to be correctly done. The ergonomics fit my hands well. The eye relief is nicely high; although that is becoming commonplace anymore.
Good stuff.

Thanks Brian, that was reassuring "good stuff" and I agree with all you say. I remember going to Chester Camera Centre (as it was then) back in the 1980s: I liked the look of a binocular in the window and they had a large picture of it too in a display case. It was the Octarem model like yours (not rubber armoured) and they also had a Dodecarem of the same series. The shop owner seemed to know his stuff and told me it was the finest binocular they had ever stocked, bar none. This may have been a salesman's "mere puff" yet I was impressed, but couldn't afford it at the time. About 10 years ago my wife and I were in Yorkshire on one of our 'genealogy trips' when I came across a traditional 'old style' camera shop (it may have been in Castleford); in the window was a rubber-clad binocular which I didn't at first recognise. On inspection, it turned out to be an Octarem. The shop owner commented "Do you know what you've got there? They don't make 'em like that any more. Best I've ever seen". I think it was £155, but he knocked a few quid off for a quick sale. As we say in this neck of the woods, I was really 'chuffed' with my serendipitous purchase. I keep my Octarem safe in an old, but mint, solid leather Nikon binocular case which it fits perfectly. I also bought it a 'Zeiss' wide strap (by Op/Tech). I did buy a used Zeiss from the Chester shop in more recent years, this time the 10x40 BGAT* in lovely condition; it's lighter and thus more portable, with a crisp, clear image, but not quite as good (to my eyes) as the 'big view' Octarem. It cost a great deal more than its 'East' German cousin, as you might expect. I wouldn't part with either of them...

I wish we had traditional old style shops here in Oregon for cameras or anything else. When I toured Switzerland, they traditional Candy Shops. It was like being in Magic Land. I bought my Octarem from "Campkins Cambridge Camera Exchange" http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/Campkins/BINO.html
I see they are still making the offer from which I bought mine. Still £ 150. I don't know if they neglected to update the website after selling them to me, or if the fellow has a crate of them.

I find I don't notice the weight as long as I keep the neck strap behind my collar and do not let it get against my bare neck. Mine is a half inch wide black leather strap that looks native to the instrument. But they are bulky.

Hi Brian, I checked that reference to Campkins possibly having an Octarem for £150, but they confirmed by email it was an old listing... Incidentally, the original strap was a grey webbing about an inch wide, hard-wearing and washable to correspond with the BGA's all-weather (waterproof?) specification. When I bought my Octarem all those years ago, the strap was a bit tatty so I changed it for the Op/Tech one; easier on the neck. Like you, I don't mind the size & weight, but then I don't go 'walkabout' so much these days. I have come to the conclusion that binocular choice is VERY subjective. If you find one which suits you, for whatever reason, and at whatever price, then stick to it and don't worry what other people have, or say. I've bought lots of binoculars over the years, yet I always go back to the Zeiss Octarem and the Swift Audubon for clear & relaxing views. Perhaps it's like marriage: not always perfect, but if you're comfortable with each other then that's really all that matters... Gosh, didn't mean to get philosophical ! Jim.

... don't worry what other people have, or say.

If you refer here to the Roof prism craze, what others say has never held a lot of water with me. Following a fad to be fashionable is the last criterion I would use for choosing field gear.

I do however envy the Roof prism it's portability. But I never found that cramped holding position comfortable. It puts my hands too close together to feel steady.

Update on Zeiss 8x50B Octarem: a 1987 GA model has been sold from Scotland today on eBay for just under $450; not a bad price for this rare 21 years old binocular...

Another update on Zeiss Jena 8x50B Octarem: a 1987 GA model has today sold on eBay UK for just under $510 + postage. Complete with ocular rainguard and custom mounting bracket (offset), it was described as "the very best of field glasses". Interestingly, its serial number was only 141 'older' than mine yet (and this is the strange thing) it has on the left hinge arm 'Octarem 8x50B' (whereas mine says Carl Zeiss Jena) and on the right arm 'Carl Zeiss Jena' (mine has Octarem 8x50B). Unimportant, but curious nonetheless...

Another update on Zeiss Jena 8x50B Octarem: a 1987 GA model has today sold on eBay UK for just under $510 + postage. Complete with ocular rainguard and custom mounting bracket (offset), it was described as "the very best of field glasses". Interestingly, its serial number was only 141 'older' than mine yet (and this is the strange thing) it has on the left hinge arm 'Octarem 8x50B' (whereas mine says Carl Zeiss Jena) and on the right arm 'Carl Zeiss Jena' (mine has Octarem 8x50B). Unimportant, but curious nonetheless...

Hi James, Here is a picture of my friends 8x50 Octarem. I have looked through it and was very impressed.:)

Attachments

• brocks fujinon 6x30 second batch at his place 017 (Medium).jpg
    brocks fujinon 6x30 second batch at his place 017 (Medium).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:
Octarem update: Yes, that's an impressive "Aus Jena Octarem 8x50B", but wait, there's more... I'd hankered after the non-GA type to complement my rubber armoured version, and last week my ship came in on UK eBay. I acquired a "Carl Zeiss Jena 8x50B Octarem" (note the nomenclature). You might think mine would be more or less (sorry!) the same as your friend's, apart from the obvious 'Aus Jena' and 'Carl Zeiss Jena' difference, but on the right prism cover of mine it says 8x50B Octarem whereas on your friend's it's an Octarem 8x50B. In all other respects they appear identical: elegant body and high build quality. So why the 'reversal' of the model description? I've no idea, but Zeiss must have knowingly made this change, for a reason which escapes me. Curiouser and curiouser...

Hi James,Actually moreorless was a nickname I had through the years.;-) I am mostly less especially as I get older. I looked at my picture again and Octarem is above the 8x50B. Is yours under the 8x50B? I have no idea why they would be different.
Regards,Steve

Hi Steve, Yes, mine (1987) has Octarem under the 8x50B, yet my (same year) GA rubber armoured type has Octarem above the 8x50B. My 8x50B is 71,610 serial numbers 'older' than my 8x50BGA. One would expect production lines to be standardised, with little or no variation in markings/engravings except for specific batches for particular markets or for legal reasons, as in the 'Aus Jena' designation. None of this really matters, of course, but I have an abiding curiosity for such idiosyncrasies. It begs the question, why bother to change the description? Anyway, I'm very pleased with my '8x50B Octarem' which is slightly lighter and more svelte than my BGA (1,070g against 1,250g). FWIW, the rubber clad BGA was £40 more than the 'naked' B in the 1995 'Docter' successor models (£439 v £479). Both are very well sealed, but the BGA's a safer bet in inclement weather, typical in the UK! It's nice to own and use a binocular classic which can more than hold its own against modern products. Quality is exceptional, with superb optics in an elegant body... Oh, joy!

For information, a Docter Nobilem (successor to the Zeiss Octarem) sold on eBay UK for £208 ($305) yesterday. It was the GA rubber armoured model, complete with its original grey webbing strap, and was a bargain price for this relatively scarce binocular, which was made about 15 years ago.

Here's another bit of evidence to assist my case that the '80s Zeiss Jena 8x50 Octarem and '90s Docter Nobilem series were some of the finest binoculars ever made anywhere: eBay UK currently has a Zeiss Jena 12x50 Dodecarem in mint condition + case being sold by a well respected collector, at a starting price of £499, and surely an indication of the supreme quality/scarcity of these models, made in East Germany to prove the DDR was capable of producing superlative optics with little commercial regard for production cost, and taken over by Docter after the 'fall of the Wall'.

Last edited:
That Zeiss Dodecarem (see above) sold for £525: not bad for a 12x50 25 years old! But wait, there's more...
Currently on eBay UK is a Carl Zeiss 8x50 Nobilem Super (1981) described as one of the 20th Century's landmark binoculars, 6 days to go, ends 5th April, and extremely rare. For descriptions of this remarkable piece of optical engineering, visit the Fan Tao and Holger Merlitz websites. The Nobilem Super had a very short production life of just a few years in the early 1980s; frankly, it cost too much to make, so was superseded by the equally impressive Zeiss Octarem and Docter Nobilem, using simplified production techniques but retaining supreme quality and were certainly more cost effective/better value for money.
It will be interesting to see the outcome of this sale; I've never seen one sold before...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back