• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Is Brett still peering out to sea off Hornsea? He found some cracking birds at Bransholme, shows the value of regular visits. That list is mainly his and mine and a couple of others since about 1990. I only visit about half a dozen times a year now, when in the area, but always see something worthwhile even if it's just Stonechat or Buzzard (both decent birds for Hull). Noticed I missed a few species: kittiwake, Fulmar, iceland and Glaucous gulls, Spotshank, mentioned in the 'Birds of the Hull Area' book which has a site guide (but it's called 'North Bransholme'). Covers East Park with a species/breeding list too - cracking site list there: Red-rumped Swallow, Temminck's stint, Hoopoe, Laughing Gull and Yank Wigeon!

Thanks for the info I'll make contact and take it from there.yep east Park also has some potential although I haven't seen anything as impressive as those you mentioned, my 'rarest' birds there are common sandpiper, Jay and redstart.

Thanks for the info I'll make contact and take it from there.yep east Park also has some potential although I haven't seen anything as impressive as those you mentioned, my 'rarest' birds there are common sandpiper, Jay and redstart.

Jay's a really good bird in Hull. Only ever had 1 in the area. Seen Common Sand quite regular in East Park, they usually get flushed off early doors and circle around the streets calling. Brett Richards used to watch east park too, and found waxwing, marsh tit and pied fly.

Jay's a really good bird in Hull. Only ever had 1 in the area. Seen Common Sand quite regular in East Park, they usually get flushed off early doors and circle around the streets calling. Brett Richards used to watch east park too, and found waxwing, marsh tit and pied fly.

Hi
had Jay once in park too,and mikejack82 may have had it a coupla times hes defo hadit cos we was walking round together that day, ive also had jay in the gardens behind the big mansion type nursing home at top of laburnam ave on holderness road its like a mini wood in the heart of one of the busiest roads in hull! potential but private :C

chris

http://chavtwitchers.blogspot.com/

Had a quick one this afternoon around Calder Wetlands (opposite Pugneys Country Park). 16 Goosander, 5 Goldeneye, a shedload of Wigeon and one Redshank were the highlights!!

Had a quick one this afternoon around Calder Wetlands (opposite Pugneys Country Park). 16 Goosander, 5 Goldeneye, a shedload of Wigeon and one Redshank were the highlights!!

When you say opposite Pugney's...whereabouts do you mean Den. I can't say I know of this area.

Keith,

theres a new pub opposite Pugneys entrance on the roundabout, the wetlands are directly behind over the flood bank. If your not from the area I suggest you find a hole in the fence near the roundabout or walk through pub carpark over flood bank (I dont think theres a fence there yet).

Out of interest, does anyone know if the Med Gull, Smew, and LS Woodpecker are still being seen at Fainburnings?

ive also had jay in the gardens behind the big mansion type nursing home at top of laburnam ave on holderness road its like a mini wood in the heart of one of the busiest roads in hull! potential but private :C

chris

http://chavtwitchers.blogspot.com/

That's Holderness House. Y'know what's on the species list there? White-throated Sparrow. In 1893, mind. But it's also had Corncrake (twice) and Nuthatch (twice) in last 20 years.

The sparrow isn't on the British list, cos at the time it was thought that yanks wouldn't get to the east coast so it must be ship assisted or an escape. It wintered in the garden before being shot and identified by Cordeux and Newton. So no doubt about the identity. And, bearing in mind the little fella in Cley right now and Hornsea in 1977, and the WT Sparrows in Lincs and Suffolk in 1992, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be genuine.

Pugneys/Calder Wetlands

The drake Smew was on the wetlands again this morning along with the Goosander and Goldeneye. If you can't find him try looking along the adjacent River Calder. Also 9 Redshank 100+ Lapwing and the Wigeon flock.

The pub opposite the entrance to Pugneys is called the Swan and Cygnet. It was built on land that held several temporary ponds which had ovipositing Red veined Darters on two summers ago!

Calder Wetlands was developed on the site of the former Redlands Quarry and has a good track record for turning up good birds. The causeway which seperates the two lakes though has a public footpath running through the middle. It is usually a case of the early birder....!:eat:

That's Holderness House. Y'know what's on the species list there? White-throated Sparrow. In 1893, mind. But it's also had Corncrake (twice) and Nuthatch (twice) in last 20 years.

The sparrow isn't on the British list, cos at the time it was thought that yanks wouldn't get to the east coast so it must be ship assisted or an escape. It wintered in the garden before being shot and identified by Cordeux and Newton. So no doubt about the identity. And, bearing in mind the little fella in Cley right now and Hornsea in 1977, and the WT Sparrows in Lincs and Suffolk in 1992, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be genuine.

Also not forgetting the WTS at Flamborough Head in 2002, and more recently in a Hull garden.

Keith,

theres a new pub opposite Pugneys entrance on the roundabout, the wetlands are directly behind over the flood bank. If your not from the area I suggest you find a hole in the fence near the roundabout or walk through pub carpark over flood bank (I dont think theres a fence there yet).

Out of interest, does anyone know if the Med Gull, Smew, and LS Woodpecker are still being seen at Fainburnings?

All still there according to Birdguides last night. 'Pecker in Cut Lane, the gull on the islands - best seen from Bob Dickens hide and the smew down at t'other end on Hicksons pools.
Ta for the info on the wetlands, will have to get down there.

hey, thats cool. my ex's gran lives in the houses behind and i was lookin in the wood for about 10 mins one day thats where i saw the jay instantly and it was all a bit busy just on her garden feeders,sure there'll be some good birds turn up in places like that all the time except nobody can see them to report!

Also not forgetting the WTS at Flamborough Head in 2002, and more recently in a Hull garden.

Hessle, I think, to be pedantic. Very hush hush, by all accounts. Still, all goes to show that BOU should re-assess the Hull 1893 record, which would be the first for Britain and the Western Paelearctic.

Went to Fairburn yesterday hoping to see the Smew, LSW and Med gull but didn't unfortunately. Was a little unsure about the access to Hickson's so I only had a distant view. I may have heard the LSW and had no idea where to look for the gull but despite the cold and the p*ss poor parking of some of the visitors I got to add to the year list. The best results were from Cut Hide with snipe, redshank and kingfisher among others.

Well the yorkshire meet was good. I will let keith post the list but put this way the only dip was on iceland gull and we got a few bonuses.

hi dont know if this is a stupid question to you guys but can ya just clarify something for me.. the White Throated Sparrow that was seen at holderness house..and the little fella at Cley right now (white Crowned Sparrow) are they two different species? i thought they was.Brain Block haha

Well the yorkshire meet was good. I will let keith post the list but put this way the only dip was on iceland gull and we got a few bonuses.

Soz to chop your Yorks list James, but Tees Barrage aint in Yorkshire in either old or new boundary currency - unles you saw it fly southeast over the old county border along the Old River Tees???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back