• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

I had a sad start to my day early this morning. As I called to pick my Dad up for work, there was a dead badger outside his house. It had been hit in the middle of the road, in contrast to the majority of badgers that get killed on the actual roadside.

It's about the 4th badger to be killed on the road this year. Last year a Tawny Owl was included in the long list of casualties.

I passed a badger corpse yesterday morning Mike, that was laid in the gutter. Only badgers I've ever seen have been corpses.
I suppose the only consolation is that it was within the Leeds boundary so there must be a population of them close to where the corpse was.
At least most road kill badgers die very quickly, better that than them being baited.

Marcus sent me a PM this afternoon:

jimmy2faces said:
Saturday. I think it will be a big day, the main target species is Red Footed Falcon. there's been a big movment across Europe, and I am just hoping that one pops up somewhere reachable.

Worth trying early, BWPi says they "tend to crepuscular and even nocturnal activity, with frequent passivity in midday hours."

Graham

But where? Pugneys??

I am really on edge. I felt good about one tonight and tried Losh and then Eccup Res, but no signs. Grey Partridge at Losh and Garden Warbler Eccup best birds.

Don't know if I am going to sleep. There is another one 10 miles south of county too...last seen heading North.

Got to see the Woodchat (albeit briefly) today. A cracking bird. Fingers crossed for a Red-foot within reaching distance tomorrow!

The Red-foot record reminds me of a male I got in the very same place several years ago (probably longer). It would hawk round the nature reserve lake and then sit out on a post.

It was actually found by a birder who had just moved to Yorkshire and was trying out his new local patch - not bad. I remember being quite apathetic and waying up whether to go or watch a World Cup game instead.

I think there's a reasonable chance it will still be about tomorrow. Not sure about the crepuscular habit - all the ones I've seen have been during "normal" hours. A lot of records recently have been of brief birds - we normally get a few that linger and show well - quite a tame bird on occasions.

I passed a badger corpse yesterday morning Mike, that was laid in the gutter. Only badgers I've ever seen have been corpses.
I suppose the only consolation is that it was within the Leeds boundary so there must be a population of them close to where the corpse was.
At least most road kill badgers die very quickly, better that than them being baited.

I'm very suspicious of the roadside kills I see between Wetherby and Collingham - always on that stretch; always look in reasonable condition (for a road kill). Sometimes it smacks to me of them being dumped and made to look like a road kill.

Refound the Red-Foot at around 7.30 this morning at range, eventually got right under the tree it was in for some stunning views. Only Jimmy2Faces, jtw521 and me looking, though. Was everyone else waiting for news before getting out of bed? Lawts and vwxyzen were on scene after about 35 minutes, suspiciously close to the time it takes to eat cornflakes and drive there. ;)

Graham

Wherabouts John?

Hi Marcus

The place where we first met the other week, you were about to go over to Pugneys to look for Yellow Wagtails. The Garganey was on the pool to the west.

Ive just seen the news of the RFF - Im hoping its still there, not over optimistic giving the zillions of non-birders who will be there today given the weather......early risers get the prizes.....!

RF Falcon

Dashed down to Pugneys as soon as I had heard the news, not had any breakfast or anything to drink. Had to wait around 1 1/2 hours but the wait was well worth it. Continuous views low overhead of the bird hawking, feeding on the wing, magic stuff. :t: Finally got something to eat at 2.30pm!!!

I hope everybody else saw it.

Well while you were all chasing the RFF, I was stood at Spurn watching the shrike when the guy stood with me said "that's an interesting wagtail" Within minutes we were surrounded by about 50 other birders watching a Citrine Wagtail, a first for spurn, Also saw the Crane but dipped the Oriole. Also had a rare migrant from the west, a jimmy2faces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back