• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Though not anywhere near as impressive as the rf falcon. There's a black necked grebe at Swilly but no sign of the garganey. Saw turnstone and possible LRP on the causeway, not so easy to pick out at distance.

Thanks for the phone call Marcus.... I managed to get away from work at 4.10 and burnt rubber to get to Pugney's for 4.30. First birder I saw told me it hadn't been seen for about an hour but showed me where to look. Within 15 minutes or so the bird was back, as was Graham. So we enjoyed stonking views of the bird hawking overhead, btw your photos are effing brill any chance of an e-mnail with the second picture of the first batch in it?

Up not so bright and very early again for my 1st ever survey this morning - Tetrad SE35J, Scotton and the Nidd north of Knaresborough. 46 species is OK,

Graham

Hi Graham

I'm living in (i think) SE35I, I've subbmitted a few roving records for what i've had, mainly whilst walking the dog, though i need to get some more recent ones online, so far i've found Gropper, Garden Warbler, Cuckoo, Little Owl (a few), White Stork!..

The lucky shorts did it again. The last time I turned up to a twitch in them I ticked again - Roller at South Gare - but I had literally arrived back from surfing in Cornwall.

I was worried they'd flush the falcon though!

A tail of two falcons for me today. My mobile woke me at 8:15 this morning - Jimmy2faces telling me to get to Pugney's. I was on my way five minutes later (skipped the cornflakes Graham). I walked round fairly calmly - I've seen them before including at this site. Quick word with a very happy Graham. However, Marcus said it was being harrassed by a woopecker sp. when I was about 100 yards away, and I admit I broke into a jog. Cracking views - nice atmosphere. I love it on a twitch when everyone is in a good mood. Couldn't stay long so a few record shots and home.

A more gentle pace this afternoon with a walk around Malham. Male Peregrine showing well. Wheatear on to the year list as well.

Well done Marcus for ringing me, well done Graham for re-finding it, and well done Jim for deleting the shot of me from your memory card.

Did my TTV at North Bransholme, Hull, this morning. Top bird was an Osprey, heading north, first site record for 19 years!

Huge numbers of Carrion Crows (around 50), which might have to some extent explained the collapse of Skylarks (just 3 - counts 10 years ago were in the 20s) and total disappearance of Grey Partridge.

Breeding Lapwing and a pair of settled-looking Oystercatchers, lots of warblers (both whitethroats, reed, sedge, willow, chiff, blackcap, but no groppers), tree sparrows (but no yellowhammers), pair of tufted ducks, but no kestrel, barn owl of kingfishers.

Most common butterfly was Speckled Wood, a species that was unrecorded in the area until about 5 years ago.

Sorry Geoff.
I was the same yesterday, Marcus rang me at 8.15am to let me know the bird had been refound....about 10 minutes after I had logged onto the computer at work. So no way I could get away as my presence was noted. If he had rung just before I'd logged on.... it would have been a sickie day as I was the first one in and so no-one else would have known I had been around.
As it was the bird showed well last night for at least a couple of hours so if you can get down there after work.

Three patch ticks and a year tick made this mornings trip to Wheldrake very worthwhile! A pair of Hobbys hawking high above the pool were gorgeous (I caught up with them later on also). Good views but not like the Red-foot. Also present on the pool was a New Zealand Shoveller - very smart for an escape and displaying with the northern shoveller. Lets hope its not freaky hybrid time. A Cuckoo that couldn't was knocking about - its call was very odd, Cuck-eerrrgh. the second syllabal was very wheezy and very different to another cuckoo calling close by. Good views mind. Last site tick was a couple of male Garganey, one in flight and one underneath the first cormorant tree (fao Bitterntwisted - a Jack Snipe spot if i do say so myself)

Right, no birding today as I have been in a beer garden all afternoon following a christening. However I did manage to negotiate a full day out on Saturday in the full knowledge that the current passage can't last forever and we have easterlies Mon/Tues and north easterlies for Wed/thurs - who knows what thereafter. So, who is free? No itinerary until the last minute but it will probably involve movement towards the coast.

Down at Swillington Ings this afternoon, the first time ever that my car has been the only one in the car park. Had a walk down to the new outflow in the hope of seeing a garganey .... no such luck! Did manage to find quite a few little grebe down there. Met up with another chap and showed him a green woodpecker just as it was yaffling, he'd heard the sound before but didn't realise it was the woodie making it. A couple of avocet dropping onto Astley Lake was a decent site tick for me, even though I'm not their greatest fan.
List of 39 species was pretty good for a couple of hours on a hot afternoon.

Got the RF Falcon today. Great views after an hour wait (thanks to Lawts for the early morning update).
Called into North Duffield Carrs on the way back and found a Garganey and two Whimbrel. Had the reserve to myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back